We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Want to futher restrict RC/opiates talk in chat. It sends the wrong message Options

zombicyckel
#1 Posted : 10/27/2012 11:21:12 AM

Armchair activist

Im well aware of the fact that, Its forbidden to talk about sources ect that is not the problem. I might get alot of comments here against me not being educated about RCs ect. The point im trying to make is that they are most likely new, and have unforseen sideeffects. And in many cases its just a drug that will give withdraw symptoms and drag you down with no insights. And sure there maybe some RC that give extreme insights and no withdraws what so ever. But there are many new members coming in, and it send the wrong message. The wrong message being the nexus is a good source for finding new drugs, the bad kind.

The problem being that it is often a topic in the chat, and I for one take offence against it. That may very well be for my ignorance in that field, but the fact remains its dangerous and new ground. And somebody new to the psychedelic world might think: yeah they all seem to do it, why not me aswell.

I think of the nexus more leening towards the native use of plants that has been used for 1000s of years(yes, not all plants are good. But the sideeffects should be more documented when it has been used for that period of time). And sure some science to perfect the art of working with these plants.

It just put people in an akward position when RC are talked about so freely.

Like: "yeah, I was at a party trying "RC", very trippy and social"
"I also combined it with x and that went even futher"
"took some X opiate"

Like RC stuff similar to cocaine, amphetamine. That just gets me thinking heres somebody looking for a cheap addiction with the endresult being a more damaged person then before the use.

And the people in the chat is always trying to help the person not to hurt themself, which is a good though. Maybe a really good thing they get the advice before they hurt themselfs.
That may be the best argument for keeping the RC talk open. There are other sites for that kind of help.

Being open to new ways is a great thing, but from my standpoint. The plants the earth has given us is enough. Atleast when it comes to spiritual use. But RC need more time to be studied its effect and side effects like LSD when it has proven itself to be safe. And when proper dose is known.

Anyway, just some thought and feelings I have about it, I hope no one takes offence. Just stating my standpoint and want to see if others feel the same.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Shaolin
#2 Posted : 10/27/2012 12:53:53 PM

Stiletto Stoner

If someone is looking for a cheap addiction then "no NPS* talk" on Nexus won't stop him.

If someone is using the "they do it, why shouldn't I" logic then "no NPS talk" on Nexus won't stop him.

Dozens of sites offer more information on use (and abuse) of NPS than Nexus.

It is my experience that if someone would start talking about combining multiple NPS in the chat he would be asked if he has looked into the dynamics of such polydrug use and is aware of potential dangers.

History of a substance does not automatically correlate with safety or amount of studies done. I doubt any drug will receive as much attention from the scientific community as LSD did (in the past).

What would be your proposed limitations ? No RC/opiate talk in the chat at all ? Mind that this won't stop users from taking NPS/opiates it will just redirected them to another site. The question then is if the policy of that site offers the same quality information in terms of effects, benefits and dangers of the particular NPS/opiate as Nexus does ?

*Novel Psychoactive Substances AKA "research" chemicals
Got GVG ? Mhm. Got DMT ?

Pandora wrote:
Nexus enjoys cutting edge and ongoing superior programming skills of the owner of this site (The Traveler), including recent switching to the .me domain name.

I'm still, I'm still Jenny from the block

Simon Jester wrote:
"WTF n00b, buy the $100 vapor pipe or GTFO"

Ignorance of the law does not protect you from prosecution

The Maxx
#3 Posted : 10/27/2012 1:20:32 PM

I Am the Jungle Queen!

I tried an RC once, got sick and puked what looked and felt like cream of mushroom soup. I didn't eat any soup. It sucked.

I say let's figure this whole "DMT" thing out before moving on to unknowns. Because, I don't know about you folks, but I'm not nearly done probing the depths.

You are Lazarus in the Tomb, and we are always knocking for you to come out. Soon, the tomb will be torn down around you, and you must come out. What will you do then?

zombicyckel
#4 Posted : 10/27/2012 1:32:49 PM

Armchair activist

Shaolin wrote:
If someone is looking for a cheap addiction then "no NPS* talk" on Nexus won't stop him.

If someone is using the "they do it, why shouldn't I" logic then "no NPS talk" on Nexus won't stop him.

Dozens of sites offer more information on use (and abuse) of NPS than Nexus.

It is my experience that if someone would start talking about combining multiple NPS in the chat he would be asked if he has looked into the dynamics of such polydrug use and is aware of potential dangers.

History of a substance does not automatically correlate with safety or amount of studies done. I doubt any drug will receive as much attention from the scientific community as LSD did (in the past).

What would be your proposed limitations ? No RC/opiate talk in the chat at all ? Mind that this won't stop users from taking NPS/opiates it will just redirected them to another site. The question then is if the policy of that site offers the same quality information in terms of effects, benefits and dangers of the particular NPS/opiate as Nexus does ?

*Novel Psychoactive Substances AKA "research" chemicals

What it all boils down to is, what more important.

1: Create an enviroment where new members can learn to be safe about psychedelics. Easy to get sucked into this psychedelic movment of sorts, and think "maybe I have been wrong about everything about psychelics and drugs". And start doing it all. We learn from our enviroment. And were a conversation of new drugs with very dangerous interactions and sideeffects, can lead more then the user into risk. Also the reader.

2: To help those who need it, surely they deserve the best possible help they can get so they dont hurt themself. And contaminate new explorers to dangerous things. Because sometimes there wont be a mod present or an member not aware they should state the dangers of RCs.

Its an important question that needs action.

What could the nexus to: hmm, its a hard one, but as I said there are two options here to really think about.

What to do: im not sure in all honesty, Rule change, no rule change. Have to come back later when I have some idea. But for now I wanted just to bring it up, because this is important.

The maxx: hehe that doesnt sound to fun Razz And yeah, the classical psychedelics seems to be enough for exploration

acacian
#5 Posted : 10/27/2012 1:52:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

thanks for posting zombie.. I agree on a lot of what you said though i'm not sure if i agree on completely banning it from chat in such a black and white fashion where people can't even mention it.. I have seen a lot of mature discussion in chat on these substances too. Though its a tricky situation and I guess I kind of sit on both sides of the fence.. it really depends what the goal is here.

personally, while I agree that its good to give people accurate (and potentially lifesaving) advice on the topic of some of these other "harder"substances, if the nexus wants to gain credibility on the topic of dmt and what its capable of, it might not be the best idea to have it associated with the more well known, strongly law enforced, and by majority, frowned upon substances. opiates or amphetamines for example aren't in the most positive spotlight in society and if we want any hope of people taking the molecule seriously, perhaps for now it would be better to leave discussion to the entheogenic substances which are not under such a negative spotlight in society, as many of the other addictive drugs are

The Traveler
#6 Posted : 10/27/2012 1:59:35 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

This discussion was held about a year ago already.

After quite a few good discussions it was decided that this is the approach that we will take and till today that still stands:

[NEW] Policy regarding discussion of different drugs

Read through it and you will see a lot of familiar things.

Also in the chat this line is displayed at the bottom:
"This site focuses mainly on the 'classic' psychedelic substances: DMT, Aya, Harmalas, Cacti (mesc), Iboga, Mushrooms, LSD, LSA, LSH, Salvia Divinorum, Cannabis, Bufotenine and 5-MeO-DMT. However, discussions about other substances are allowed as long as it is done in a respectful and intellectual manner. Please read this thread before you discuss any substance."

If you feel that a certain member is not upholding to these policies then please inform a moderator with a copy/paste from that chat session.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

zombicyckel
#7 Posted : 10/27/2012 2:26:23 PM

Armchair activist

acacian wrote:
thanks for posting zombie.. I agree on a lot of what you said though i'm not sure if i agree on completely banning it from chat in such a black and white fashion where people can't even mention it.. I have seen a lot of mature discussion in chat on these substances too. Though its a tricky situation and I guess I kind of sit on both sides of the fence.. it really depends what the goal is here.

personally, while I agree that its good to give people accurate (and potentially lifesaving) advice on the topic of some of these other "harder"substances, if the nexus wants to gain credibility on the topic of dmt and what its capable of, it might not be the best idea to have it associated with the more well known, strongly law enforced, and by majority, frowned upon substances. opiates or amphetamines for example aren't in the most positive spotlight in society and if we want any hope of people taking the molecule seriously, perhaps for now it would be better to leave discussion to the entheogenic substances which are not under such a negative spotlight in society, as many of the other addictive drugs are

Yeah, banning might not make the best solution. But maybe im underestimating the new members of the site. If they have come this far, they might see whats good for them or not Smile Im a sucker for overthinking stuff, cant help to think of the consequences when this community grows. But those who need important info about interactions should get it for sure. And try to hold the talk to entheogenic plants and alkaloids as much as we can.

Trav: yeah I have seen it, and they are not always in a intellectual manner. But I guess that is our chance where we as member should step in and reinforce those rules if it goes beyond that. Myself included, even if I might hit a nerve or two

The Traveler
#8 Posted : 10/27/2012 2:47:57 PM

"No, seriously"

zombicyckel wrote:
Trav: yeah I have seen it, and they are not always in a intellectual manner. But I guess that is our chance where we as member should step in and reinforce those rules if it goes beyond that. Myself included, even if I might hit a nerve or two

Yes! It is very important that the new members get acquainted with the general attitude that we have here.

So it is not a problem to point out to new members how we think about certain issues here. If they accept and comply then we have a win and if they fail to do that then it is no great loss to not have them here.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Pandora
#9 Posted : 10/27/2012 9:23:38 PM

Got Naloxone?

Welcoming committeeSenior Member

Traveler and others worked hard to bring this new policy into being. I fully support the current rules as they stand.

Yeah, moderators could be a bit more "present" at times in chat. It's frustrating to me too, but even as non-mods, we can point out the policy to those who don't know or push the limits.
"But even if nothing lasts and everything is lost, there is still the intrinsic value of the moment. The present moment, ultimately, is more than enough, a gift of grace and unfathomable value, which our friend and lover death paints in stark relief."
-Rick Doblin, Ph.D. MAPS President, MAPS Bulletin Vol. XX, No. 1, pg. 2

Hyperspace LOVES YOU

RebornInSmoke
#10 Posted : 10/28/2012 2:52:56 AM

Lysergic Feline

I don't like the term "argh see".
It's ridiculous..

It sends the wrong message.
Gun it to 88...
..::those who speak do not know, those who know do not speak::..
<3

The Traveler
#11 Posted : 10/28/2012 10:20:11 AM

"No, seriously"

RebornInSmoke wrote:
I don't like the term "argh see".
It's ridiculous..

It sends the wrong message.

???

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Baby Bonnie Hood
#12 Posted : 4/7/2013 9:18:07 PM

Grey jedi

I don't like restrictions that are supposed to keep people from harm. More often than not, these restrictions doesn't end up with the wanted results but just makes people more annoyed.

If I want to discuss my past opioid usage then I should be fully able to do that.
I've had some discussions with other members about their past addictions and I just dont see any point in trying to ban these subjects. People should be allowed to be open imo.
My threads: Intro - DMT first time - My mushrooms

I'm not all that I can be....

Vodsel
#13 Posted : 4/7/2013 9:49:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Filmmaking and Storytelling, Video and Audio Technology, Teaching, Gardening, Languages (Proficient Spanish, Catalan and English, and some french, italian and russian), Seafood cuisine

The only reason to have restrictions is precisely to keep people from harm. The tricky word here is "supposed", that depends on how these restrictions are implemented and that should be for the moderators to judge.

If you are giving experience about your past opiate use, I see no problem with that. If I was moderating, I would not even consider banning such a talk - unless you were encouraging irresponsible use.

Point is, some substances have more risk of hurting you than others, or to develop a heavy and potentially harmful habit. Talk about these substances MAY or MAY NOT encourage/endorse reckless use or the acquisition of dangerous addictions.

Talk about these is discouraged, or watched, not necessarily banned. I always took it as it depended ultimately on the judgement of moderators.

The Traveler
#14 Posted : 4/7/2013 10:06:00 PM

"No, seriously"

Baby Bonnie Hood wrote:
I don't like restrictions that are supposed to keep people from harm. More often than not, these restrictions doesn't end up with the wanted results but just makes people more annoyed.

If I want to discuss my past opioid usage then I should be fully able to do that.
I've had some discussions with other members about their past addictions and I just dont see any point in trying to ban these subjects. People should be allowed to be open imo.

It seems you did not read this post in this same thread where you made your post in.

In that post you will see a link to this thread:
[NEW] Policy regarding discussion of different drugs

So it seems a bit strange to me that you react in this thread while giving the impression that you did not read it well.

And to quote a part of that post:

The Traveler wrote:
"This site focuses mainly on the 'classic' psychedelic substances: DMT, Aya, Harmalas, Cacti (mesc), Iboga, Mushrooms, LSD, LSA, LSH, Salvia Divinorum, Cannabis, Bufotenine and 5-MeO-DMT. However, discussions about other substances are allowed as long as it is done in a respectful and intellectual manner. Please read this thread before you discuss any substance."

That same text is also at the bottom of the chat, so please read before making assumptions. Confused

Kind regards,

The Traveler