We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Why separate harmala from harmaline? Options

DidMyTest
#1 Posted : 2/8/2012 10:58:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I bought some rue and I want to extract the Harmalas to add it to my changa. I couldn't really find why to separate these two substances but I read somehwere that one makes you more stoned but only if ingested.

1) So does the separation make sense?

Any spelling or grammar mistakes? Please help me to improve my English and write me a PM. Just write what is wrong and how the rule is.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Silly(c)One
#2 Posted : 3/18/2013 3:05:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Old post but who knows...

The only way to know what's best for you... Is to experiment Pleased

For changa though, I don't really see the need to go through the "trouble", but that's just me...

jamie
#3 Posted : 3/18/2013 3:24:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

first of all there is no one substance called harmala. It is harmine and harmaline.

They each precipitate at a different PH. This is how they are seperated.
Long live the unwoke.

universecannon
#4 Posted : 3/18/2013 3:25:47 AM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

I'd like to seperate harmaline and harmine eventually, just to see if the differences are that noticeable. I'm just too lazy at the moment

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

The Traveler
#5 Posted : 3/18/2013 6:49:14 AM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

As already pointed out you have harmine, harmaline and THH which are all harmalas. With the two common sources for harmalas (caapi and rue) only caapi contains THH.

Of these harmalas, harmaline is the strongest by weight and people who take it find that it gives more body load.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Vodsel
#6 Posted : 3/18/2013 11:42:24 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Filmmaking and Storytelling, Video and Audio Technology, Teaching, Gardening, Languages (Proficient Spanish, Catalan and English, and some french, italian and russian), Seafood cuisine

I've dosed DMT fumarate both with harmine/harmaline (extracted from rue) and only with harmine HCl. Comparatively, the experience with harmine felt more gentle to the stomach, and after ingesting similar amounts of food in a similar timing before dosing, I did not have to purge... but don't take that as a rule.

Harmine required a higher dose for inhibition, though. Which agrees with data reporting a higher efficiency of harmaline inhibiting MAO-A per weight unit.

InMotion
#7 Posted : 3/22/2013 1:58:30 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: 3D programming, Mathematician (if you need help with algebra to differential equations I'm available), SKilled Engineer

I have performed this isolation and personally I didn't notice much of a difference between one or the other. Don't hear me out wrong they both have different biological effects to certain degrees. Though my brain/body isn't capable of being aware of the ratio of how inhibited my MAOI-B is verses my MAOI-A and so forth. The difference was so indistinguishable that I hardly even remember even trying it to be honest. The procedure I used which is a published procedure(reference eludes me now but it is out there). It consisted of adding concentrated ammonia to the solids at I believe 55*C just until one of the compounds began to precipitate, then quickly filtering while hot. I obtained on many occassions different colors of flourescence at similar concentrations of both solutions. At the time this was the best form of analysis I had available and it satisfied my curiosities.

Silly(c)One
#8 Posted : 3/24/2013 4:47:35 AM

DMT-Nexus member

An interesting experience for the OP might be to extract from both rue and caapi and test the different changas.
I, for one, would be very curious about the THH influence.
I have both kinds of changa right here, but have yet to try the one I just made with harmalas from caapi instead of rue.