We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Quick Wash ISO Hash Options

Gone-and-Back
#1 Posted : 2/22/2013 5:20:08 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I had recently used a quarter of some medical grade buds to make a gram of some of the finest hash I have tried yet. There were a couple questions that I had and was wondering if someone would be able to help me out here. I'll start by outlining the process that I had used.

1. Froze everything I was using. The bag of buds and the 99% ISO.
2. Broke up frozen buds, placed back into freezer for a while.
3. Frozen bud is dumped into a jar, and the frozen ISO poured in to about an inch above the bud.
4. Swirled around for 30-45 seconds. (Not Shaken)
5. Filter and repeat two more times, keeping the three extracts in separate containers. (First jar looked very yellow, the second more green with a slight yellow tint, and the third became more green then anything but was very clear.)
6. These were then poured into a pyrex dish one at a time and allowed to evaporate one at a time. There didn't appear to be much after the first one was done, so I just added the second and third extracts into the dish and evaporated under a fan with a hot pad placed under the dish.
7. Once this was all dry, it was scraped up into a very gooey dark resin like material. It had no more smell of ISO, instead smelling like any hash you would find through any other methods. Its a dark tanish color when stretched out and all black when compacted.
8. This was let to sit out all night, and is now a very hard solid chunk of hash.

When this was smoked however, it did not bubble up like most hash and light on fire or even smolder on top of the bowl. Instead, it completely melted and disappeared into everything else that was packed underneath it. Why did this happen? Does hash of this quality and purity just melt when heated like that? Or could there possibly be some ISO left over in the hash? I left it on heat under the fan for a good hour or two before trying to smoke any of it, and it didnt taste like ISO, so I am very confused as to why this is happening. Any advice would be nice.
Everything published by Gone-and-Back are the mad rantings and ravings of a mind who yearns to be free and thinks he knows what he is talking about. However, these are just delusions made to feel that freedom, because that freedom will never come. Any experiments done are purely figments of the imagination, and are falsified to the highest degree. Nothing should be taken seriously from a crazy mans mind.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Gone-and-Back
#2 Posted : 2/22/2013 7:09:33 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Also, I know that some hash is active orally due to the heating process. Would this hash be edible? If so, whats a usual dosage for hash edibles?
Everything published by Gone-and-Back are the mad rantings and ravings of a mind who yearns to be free and thinks he knows what he is talking about. However, these are just delusions made to feel that freedom, because that freedom will never come. Any experiments done are purely figments of the imagination, and are falsified to the highest degree. Nothing should be taken seriously from a crazy mans mind.

InMotion
#3 Posted : 2/22/2013 9:46:22 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: 3D programming, Mathematician (if you need help with algebra to differential equations I'm available), SKilled Engineer

Yea that's pretty typical of an ISO hash extraction. These tend not to be the cleanest extracts until a technique is mastered. Totally safe to ingest, cook it into some butter or oil like you would cannabis and enjoy.

I have heard of people cleaning up cannabis hash's with activated carbon not sure how well it works though.

Gone-and-Back
#4 Posted : 2/22/2013 11:18:18 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Thank you. I knew I could cook it into something and it be active, but I guess I'm more curious as to if it could just be placed into a pill and taken that way?

Yerba
#5 Posted : 2/22/2013 11:35:06 PM
DMT-Nexus member

It can still be smoked, either on top of a few screens or on herb or ash. A convenient way is to put some on a metal spoon, heat it until it melts, and spread it over the spoon. Then 'wipe' it off with broken-up herb and smoke that.

You could probably encapsulate it, but I'd guess it would need to be cooked into something like coconut oil or some other fat to make it readily digestible.

Ambivalent
#6 Posted : 2/23/2013 12:16:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

InMotion wrote:

I have heard of people cleaning up cannabis hash's with activated carbon not sure how well it works though.

it works great, i have had success always with the pharmaceutical grade active charcoal. i have tried with cheaper charcoal for aquarium filters and it was not so effective as the one bought from pharma. and it was more difficult to filter.

otherwise active charcoal will make even the dark green liquid full of pigment and oils . so if you dont have a lot of canna to waste and want to be sure you got all out. you can do a warm wash on grinded material, then reduce and clean with charcoal. the end result is great. ultra sticky .

Gone-and-Back
#7 Posted : 3/9/2013 5:10:15 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I did this extraction again and used instead 14 grams of trimmings from a friends plant. This time it yielded a much more gooey, sticky, and almost kind of wet feeling product.

This time it was let sit under a fan for 24 hours, still with no change in consistency. Then the dish that it was in was placed under a heat lamp to raise the temp in hopes of evapping any left alcohol. This made it bubble a little and changed the smell slightly, more of a hash smell. However, after doing this and letting it cool down again, it is still a very thick wet gooey mess.

Is this safe to smoke at this point? Or could there still be alcohol in it? I dont see how there could be after days of sitting out and being exposed to that much heat (the lamp's bulb was literally an inch away from it), and believe that it is this consistency due to its purity, since THC is an oil in pure form.

Anyways, I would like some thoughts from the community on this batch before I go ahead and try smoking any of it. I dont want to possibly be smoking rubbing alcohol.

Phlux-
#8 Posted : 3/10/2013 9:12:00 AM

The Root

Chemical expertSenior Member

try use naptha for a cleaner product
antrocles wrote:
...purity of intent....purity of execution....purity of experience...

...unlike the "blind leading the blind". we are more akin to a group of blind-from-birth people who have all simultaneously been given the gift of sight but have no words or mental processing capabilites to work with this new "gift".

IT IS ONLY TO THE EXTENT THAT WE ARE WILLING TO EXPOSE OURSELVES OVER AND OVER AGAIN TO ANNIHILATION THAT WE DISCOVER THAT PART OF OURSELVES THAT IS INDESTRUCTIBLE.

Quote:
‹Jorkest› the wall is impenetrable as far as i can tell

Quote:
‹xtechre› cheese is great

He who packs ur capsules - controls your destiny.

Yerba
#9 Posted : 3/10/2013 4:52:04 PM
DMT-Nexus member

IPA evaporates faster, though naptha may be a more selective solvent and pull less plant waxes, etc.

I know with BHO the new trend is the 'vacuum purge', or you might want to try something like this:

Gone-and-Back
#10 Posted : 3/10/2013 6:03:34 PM
DMT-Nexus member

BHO is probably the way to go honestly...I just dont have the supplies to do it at the moment, but plan on doing so at some point.

Does Naptha really work for this though? How quickly/cleanly will the naptha evaporate? Will there be any toxic residues or anything that will be left over from the naptha? I have never used this solvent before. I only have experience using solvents such as IPA and Acetone.