«PREV234
simple titration, and dual solvent crystalization Options

Precog
#61 Posted : 2/27/2013 10:21:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Kash wrote:
Precog wrote:
dg wrote:
i dont recomend using d-limo. but it will likely work (as long as the acid you are salting with is very dilute-)

Having only performed 69ron's d-limo extraction thus far, d-limo is the only NP I have available. I am guessing this incompatibility is due to the reactivity of the alkenes in limonene with strong acid?

Correct. If you over-titrate your saltings then the excess acid will pull garbage from the d-limonene.

Wouldn't that be the case with any other non-polar?
"The peak experience might be likened to a spot on a mountain top from which the surrounding panorama may be viewed; yet being on the top of the mountain does not supply more than the possibility of seeing, whereas this process of observation is different from that of mountain climbing[...]insight is distinct from the mental state from which it originates, and constitutes the result of a creative act in which consciousness at a certain height is directed toward what lies below."
--Claudio Naranjo

There is no becoming, no revolution, no struggle, no path.
Already you are the monarch of your own skin.
--Hakim Bey

Psychedelic news, articles, interviews and art from the DMT-Nexus and other sources.

Kash
#62 Posted : 2/27/2013 11:51:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Chemistry and Programming

Not necessarily. I believe that d-limonene can be protonated by excess acid and form gunk that contaminates end product, where other solvents do not behave the same.
--------------------------------------------------*Kash's LSA Extraction* * Kash's Mescaline Extraction*------------------------------------------------------
All things I say are complete and utter ramblings of nonsense. Do not consider taking anything iterated from the depths of my subconsciousness rationally and/or seriously.

dg
#63 Posted : 2/28/2013 12:14:44 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Cacti expert

^ afaik that is correct. use dilute acid w/dlimo
but dilute acid is always best imo- much harder to overshoot the desired ph

Precog
#64 Posted : 2/28/2013 3:59:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Kash wrote:
Not necessarily. I believe that d-limonene can be protonated by excess acid and form gunk that contaminates end product, where other solvents do not behave the same.

Coolio- I was just confused when Kash said 'pull' garbage. Regardless, the world's obsession with oil makes petrochemical solvents cheap and abundant so I think I will get myself some of that stuff to avoid potential risks. Thanks for the responses and the tek!
"The peak experience might be likened to a spot on a mountain top from which the surrounding panorama may be viewed; yet being on the top of the mountain does not supply more than the possibility of seeing, whereas this process of observation is different from that of mountain climbing[...]insight is distinct from the mental state from which it originates, and constitutes the result of a creative act in which consciousness at a certain height is directed toward what lies below."
--Claudio Naranjo

There is no becoming, no revolution, no struggle, no path.
Already you are the monarch of your own skin.
--Hakim Bey

Loveall
#65 Posted : 1/23/2020 4:28:33 AM

💖

Chemical expertSenior Member

Has anyone tried to go straight to acetone and skip the NP step here?

- Etract with water/filter/reduce/filter
- Add same volume of acetone and cool. Expect Proteins to crash here (if so decant/filter). Expect mescaline to remain soluble here (but not sure).
- Add dilute drops of dilute sulfuric acid to cold solution (until cloudiness stops?). Mescaline sulfate should crash out (?).

Someone must have tried this, right? What happened? Or does anyone see an obvious issue with this a priori? Why would this not work? Thanks!
“... (a) psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it.”
Excerpt from a McKenna talk transcript / audio.

Loveall
#66 Posted : 1/27/2020 5:37:45 PM

💖

dg wrote:
add water to glass or stainless steel pan, fast boil it down.
notes: you want to remove as much water as possible w/o scorching product, i like medium heat on an average gas range.
as the concentration of the solution increases the sound the boiling makes changes, and it sounds syrupy. you may also notice the solution get cloudy(a sure sign you have gone far enough.

Has anyone measured the pH of the reduced water before adding acetone? I wonder what it is because mescaline (bi)sulfite precipitation may depend on the availability of HSO4+ ions which could depend on the starting water pH and how much acetone is added.

This is just speculation on my part, but curious on any data for the pH of the reduced water pH. Thanks.
“... (a) psychedelic substance occasionally causes psychotic behaviour in people who have not taken it.”

Loveall
#67 Posted : 1/29/2020 12:25:58 PM

💖

Loveall wrote:
Has anyone tried to go straight to acetone and skip the NP step here?

- Etract with water/filter/reduce/filter
- Add same volume of acetone and cool. Expect Proteins to crash here (if so decant/filter). Expect mescaline to remain soluble here (but not sure).
- Add dilute drops of dilute sulfuric acid to cold solution (until cloudiness stops?). Mescaline sulfate should crash out (?).

Someone must have tried this, right? What happened? Or does anyone see an obvious issue with this a priori? Why would this not work? Thanks!

To answer my own question, I went ahead and tried this. Interestingly when I added acetone a clumpy snot formed (see first picture). The snot is very easily separated (see second picture) from solution by decanting (most sticks to the glass wall) and filtering (for the little bit that pours out). To the filtered water + acetone sulfuric acid was added, and more acetone until cloudy, then that was put in the freezer overnight. This morning loose white particles are crashing out of solution. Can't say for sure it's mescaline sulfate (or how pure it is), but definitely want to investigate more.

To recap: hot water extract (I used fresh cacti I had chopped and frozen) filter/decant/reduce (final pH was 5.1), acetone crash of gunk, sulfuric acid crash of potential product and/or other stuff.

Seems to good to be true, more tests will tell. I'm keeping the snot too incase the Mescaline went there.

Loveall attached the following image(s):
IMG_20200128_230441793.jpg (5,554kb) downloaded 44 time(s).
IMG_20200128_231041500.jpg (2,843kb) downloaded 42 time(s).

Loveall
#68 Posted : 1/31/2020 5:26:49 AM

💖

Looks like the shortcut may have worked (but not 100% sure yet). I'll get a separate thread going for it since it's diverging from dg's original process.

«PREV234