We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Volcano vaporizer (classic / digital, vapor dome?) Options

#1 Posted : 2/27/2013 10:46:58 AM

Psilosopher

Alright, I was unsure of where to post this since the 'smoking' section is more for DMT, so it was a toss-up between here and the health section, so hopefully this isn't too out of place.
Also, I know that there have been many topics about "what vaporizer should I get" on many a forum, but I have been reading up on this for quite a while and would simply like some feedback since I value peoples' opinions here more than a lot of other forums.

I've been a chronic cannabis smoker for around 5 years now (1-2 joints in the evening on weekdays, more during the weekend and holidays, I used to smoke far more when I was in college). I'm starting to feel the negative effects of smoking in my lungs, sinuses, and worst of all, terrible stomach pains. I don't want to quit smoking weed, since it is my daily drug of choice to relax and unwind after work, and apart from physical complaints related to smoking I don't feel like I am dysfunctional or anything.
I have simply realised that the practice of smoking is harmful (I'm confronted with this issue from time to time in my trips as well), so I figured the next best thing would be vaporizing. I'm sure I will still smoke a joint every now and then when the occasion calls for it, but I want to get rid of all that tar that's accumulating daily, and in the meantime get rid of all that tobacco I'm inhaling at the same time (I don't smoke cigs).

Last year I tried the Volcano vaporizer in Amsterdam, and was very pleasantly surprised with all the aromas it unleashed, I really didn't expect it to be that good compared to smoking. Since the Volcano price tag is rather steep I thought I'd look for alternatives first, but at the same time, since this is supposed to last me a long long time, I wouldn't mind paying that much for a quality product. After comparing I found that most vaporizers each have their pros and cons, and that while there are plenty of alternatives, a lot of people still go for the 'Cano.

Right now I have decided to get one as well (preferably the easy valve since the solid valve seems like a lot of hassle, and I don't really care for bigger bags), but I'm unsure of whether to go for the classic or the digital. The digital one is yet more expensive, but being able to accurately set the temperature seems like a huge plus, especially since I am planning on occasionally vaping more than just weed (just herbs like chamomile, rosemary, eucalyptus, damiana, pine etc. for aromatherapy purposes, or for experimenting with nice flavors to go with cannabis , no DMT or anything). I have read that the digital ones are more prone to break compared to the classic though. Mabe someone who has owned and used a digital Volcano for a few years can attest to that?

Another thing I was wondering about is the so called 'vapor dome', which is a borosilicate glass attachment for the Volcano that allows you to use whips. Googling around I have only found two sources for reviews on this product, one being a thread on the shroomery which says it sucks and doesn't work as it is supposed to, and one being the gotvape site which also sells it, with a few short reviews of people who all seem to really like it. I cannot buy this anywhere near where I live (Europe), so I would have to order it from the US and it could cost quite a bit. Can anyone vouch for this 'vapor dome'? The only real drawback from the Volcano (besides the price tag) is not being able to do whips, which isn't really all that important for me, but it looks like it could be a welcome change from the standard bags every now and then, so I would definitely get one if it really worked properly.

Sorry for the long read, hopefully there are a few of you out there that could help me out with this Smile
"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion." - Albert Camus

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

No Knowing
#2 Posted : 2/28/2013 2:24:07 AM

fool adept

I've tried a Volcano for extended periods, although I was not the owner. (Roommate in College owned one [digital]) It is nice I will say.

I personally own a VaporBrothers Whip vape that I have owned for 5 years and it has always stoof by my side and got me real high. It is in pieces now AND STILL WORKS. I love this vape and with their new EZ change whip changing a screen is insanely easy. Also they have Analog or Digital. Usually for under $200.00

Honestly IMHO this comes down to how many people you usually smoke with. The VaporBrothers piece is MORE THAN ENOUGH for one stoner. Can easily get three people REAL high.

The Volcano was in my frat house and it would easily get 8+ people high. (From a huge pack)

If this is just for you and another friend or two I'd get the VB Whip piece. If you're still having lounge parties get the Volcano.
In the province of the mind what one believes to be true, either is true or becomes true within certain limits. These limits are to be found experimentally and experientially. When so found these limits turn out to be further beliefs to be transcended. In the province of the mind there are no limits. However, in the province of the body there are definite limits not to be transcended.-J.C. Lilly
The Spice must flow
Zat was Zen and dis is Dao.

SpartanII
#3 Posted : 2/28/2013 4:10:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

My brother and I have both used a Vapolution for years now with good results. Clean, flavorful hits with a glass on glass heating element and at $120 it's the best bang for your buck, IMO. The only downside is that it will take a while to vape if you have more than 2 people, but as a primarily solitary user, I don't find it a problem.

http://www.vapolutionvaporizers.com/

Be sure to save your ABV (already been vaped) buds, or as my bro calls them- "pooplets" for extracting/cooking.Wink

Xemnas
#4 Posted : 2/28/2013 12:55:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I strongly recommend the Volcano for vaporizing. I've used many other ones, but the volcano is incredibly solid and flawless in comparison. Never once burnt a bowl in the years I've used it, even on the highest setting. It's an awesome bit of equipment that's worth every penny. I can't speak for the digital, but the solid valve is perfect. I've heard the digitals tend to break and they take longer to heat up.

Now here's something that almost no one ever talks about though; the addictiveness of vaporizing. If you're already addicted to smoking it, I can almost guarantee it'll be hard to stop vaporizing. At least it was for me. Here's why. You're tolerance goes through the roof if you use it frequently enough since you're basically inhaling pure alkaloids, so you also end up getting a lot higher with it, especially since at first it makes your cannabis last longer so you end up spoiling yourself. But as soon as your tolerance is up you stop saving product, you just end up vaping more, not to mention you can hardly go back to smoking since you don't get nearly as much from it, plus it just seems less pure in comparison. On top of it all, you can end up getting obsessed with not wasting anything, since you honestly waste no product as opposed to smoking where you're kind of okay with wasting it which in a way keeps it from becoming too addictive.

Just food for thought. I don't mean to bash vaporizing at all, this was just my experience with it. The high is cleaner, you do save product, and it's undoubtedly healthier for you. I have my qualms with cannabis these days, but if you have your mind set on vaporizing it, I do highly recommend the volcano.

Parshvik Chintan
#5 Posted : 2/28/2013 6:22:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

arizer is a cheaper alternative to the volcano.
you can get it with bags or whip (or both).

having vaped out of both, there is virtually no difference.
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

imPsimon
#6 Posted : 2/28/2013 6:34:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If you want one that is portable I recommend the arizer solo.

It's about the size of a red bull can.
You plug it into the wall to recharge.
You can change the temperature setting to your likes.
This can't fill a bag and is a whip only.
Make sure that the bowl in vaporizer is made of stainless steel since the first ones that
got produced in ceramic had cracking issues.

I carry mine in a puffy vaporgenie bag and have changed the original glass whip
to a custom made wooden one (not made by arizer) to prevent broken glass in pocket.

corpus callosum
#7 Posted : 2/28/2013 7:17:21 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Medical DoctorModerator

imPsimon wrote:
If you want one that is portable I recommend the arizer solo.

IMO, the Arizer Solo is an excellent piece of kit. The taste produced when vaping cannabis is very tasty indeed.The flexibility it affords regarding the different incremental temperatue settings is a very nice feature.
I am paranoid of my brain. It thinks all the time, even when I'm asleep. My thoughts assail me. Murderous lechers they are. Thought is the assassin of thought. Like a man stabbing himself with one hand while the other hand tries to stop the blade. Like an explosion that destroys the detonator. I am paranoid of my brain. It makes me unsettled and ill at ease. Makes me chase my tail, freezes my eyes and shuts me down. Watches me. Eats my head. It destroys me.

No Knowing
#8 Posted : 2/28/2013 7:26:30 PM

fool adept

@Om Looks like you got some comparative research to do friendo.
In the province of the mind what one believes to be true, either is true or becomes true within certain limits. These limits are to be found experimentally and experientially. When so found these limits turn out to be further beliefs to be transcended. In the province of the mind there are no limits. However, in the province of the body there are definite limits not to be transcended.-J.C. Lilly
The Spice must flow
Zat was Zen and dis is Dao.

reflexion
#9 Posted : 3/1/2013 2:04:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I've owned the volcano classic for about ten years now...
It's been slung around in the back of my vehicles, dropped, kicked, left hidden outside in freezing temperatures, left on the highest setting for months at a time, and used heavily throughout this time. It's dented and scratched up, but other than a flickering light, works like new! I haven't had to order any replacement parts other than bags.
I can't recommend it enough!

#10 Posted : 3/2/2013 9:21:05 PM

Psilosopher

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys. I've been thinking about getting this vaporizer for over half a year now, and today I finally made up my mind and got myself a Volcano. I drove to The Netherlands and after visiting 4 shops that had just run out of them, I finally found one.
I was originally planning on just getting the classic, but they had the digital one for 50 euros less than what they usually go for, so I got that one instead. Just vaped a couple of bags and am really enjoying it, I'm surprised how much you can squeeze out of a small amount of weed as well.

Really glad I finally have a vape, I'm sure it will be well-worth the money :-)
"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion." - Albert Camus

#11 Posted : 3/13/2013 10:52:14 PM

Psilosopher

Excuse the double-post, but I just wanted to write a little follow-up. It's been a good week and a half that I've been using the Volcano, and I couldn't be happier with it. The first two days I tested a few different temperature settings until I found the sweet spot for me. After a week without having smoked anything at all, I decided to smoke one joint. I mixed in as little tobacco as I could, and despite that it tasted surprisingly chemical, which is something I have NEVER noticed before in all my years of daily smoking. I went back to the vaporizer and do not feel any inclination to smoke anymore. I will still spark up a joint at festivals or concerts or every once and a while when I'm with friends, but I'm glad that I'm now able to vaporize for my daily use. It's only been a little while, but I feel so much better physically already, it's really all I wanted, and well worth the money I spent on this device Love

Luuk
#12 Posted : 6/9/2013 3:20:33 PM
DMT-Nexus member

The volcano is an awesome deviceBig grin . I bought one three years ago to quit smoking tobacco, which worked perfectly. It's just such a good alternative to spliffs, why go back? Xemnas' point about the addictiveness of vaporizing does make sense though, your tolerance is bound to go way up. It tastes really nice so I always want to fill another bag, even though I'm already high enough.
I own a volcano classic with solid valve, and I'm happy with the solid valve. The easy valve seems like a waste, every time you change the bag you throw a lot of plastic and money away. Changing the bag with a solid valve isn't a lot of work, just a few minutes. I do it regularly because a fresh bag tastes a lot nicer.

Anyway just wanted to attest to the awesomeness of the volcano. It's really well made, those Germans sure know how to make good products!

endlessness
#13 Posted : 6/9/2013 5:44:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ive also used the volcano for about 5 years now, and it is in perfect state. I love all the pros related to it being a vaporizer, and the fact that its so well built. My biggest issue with it is how noisy it is... Hard to vaporize when girlfriend is sleeping or something... If I'd buy a vaporizer now, I'd look into something that is less noisy and has a direct inhalation (whip) method also.

By the way, small detail about one comment above, it is not alkaloids that get you high, they don't have nitrogen in them, THC is an aromatic terpenoid.

Luuk
#14 Posted : 6/9/2013 7:56:59 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Yeah that is true endlessness.. it is noisy. I don't mind the sound of the volcano filling the bag because that's just for a minute, but the bag itself crackles a lot when handled. I haven't found alternative bags that don't make the sound, but they must be out there somewhere.

ziggus
#15 Posted : 6/9/2013 9:41:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Silentvapor.com sells a reusable silent bag for the Volcano that seems to work well. It's $80, which shouldn't be a problem if you've already purchased a Volcano.

Here's a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKAcs16QJnw

Luuk
#16 Posted : 6/10/2013 1:10:22 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Haha I love how serious the vaporizing crowd is about smoking weed, so many accessories for the volcano alone. Thanks for the link. 80 dollar is a bit expensive though, and there seem to be other drawbacks (having to clean the bag, it falls so you have to hold it while filling, and you can't see the thickness of the smoke). And the sound of regular volcano bags isn't a big issue for me, just a tad annoying sometimes. Luckily my girlfriend sleeps pretty deep.