We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
extraction of alicia vine (mislabeled as black Banisteriopsis caapi) Options

ipumaestro
#1 Posted : 2/22/2013 6:47:55 AM

catdestined

decided to brew up 1.7 lbs of my black caapi bought in october of 2011 from kiwi
pressure cooked slightly acidic solution (vinegar in water) 3 times for an hour each
reduced
decanted
filtered
reduced
decanted

bassified, let alks precip over 8 hours
poured off the top and added fresh non basic water, alks didnt dissolve
letting settle over night

i was wondering if doing a manske precip would separate these alks further or work at all....

otherwise ill do what i did before to end up with black flaky fb alkaloids
achuma puma

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Jees
#2 Posted : 2/24/2013 9:55:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Documented: changing of acid makes trapping of colored gunk possible.

ipumaestro
#3 Posted : 2/25/2013 3:26:14 AM

catdestined

ive been using chemistry filters and as of now have a red clear liquid, coffee filters are less fine
achuma puma

Jees
#4 Posted : 2/25/2013 9:07:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

As the filter clogs up, it becomes "finer", run it several times trough same filter, the dripping slows down considerably and liquid clearer each time.

Infundibulum
#5 Posted : 2/25/2013 10:16:06 AM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Guys, thanks for doing this work. I wonder how do you know that you're extracting Alicia? Just because of a presumed mislabelling from kiwi? You could be actually extracting correctly labelled caapi that you incorrectly though as mislabelled...

Do you have any photos of your starting material to aid IDing?

Also, have you checked whether anything glows under black light? If not, you should definitely do it. As far as I remember, from endlessness' Alicia analyses, there was no black light fluorescence. IF your solutions fluoresce, I'd first suspect that it is actually caapi you're extracting. I strongly believe, amidst the incidences of mislabelling, that you should always check under black light as the front line of your investigations.

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

Jees
#6 Posted : 2/26/2013 12:15:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Infundibulum wrote:
... how do you know that you're extracting Alicia?...

Very valid point. In the wake of all the fuzz going on it becomes issue to suspect labels from vendors.

SnozzleBerry
#7 Posted : 2/26/2013 12:53:09 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Waitaminute...

Maya's B. caapi "Black" you say? Twisted Evil

Maya's black B. caapi β‰  A. anisopetala, afaik.

Black caapi (from M4Y4) (lets call this Black caapi #1)
Methanol soak

Black caapi #1
A/B extract from same plant material as black #1 above. Yield 0.5% white powder.

(Sometime I feel like an archivist Razz )

Also, I've never understood white harmalas. The literature describes the pure xtals as a pale yellow. Infund, do you have any thoughts?
Wiki β€’ Attitude β€’ FAQ
The Nexian β€’ Nexus Research β€’ The OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם Χ–Χ” Χ™Χ’Χ‘Χ•Χ¨

3rdI
#8 Posted : 2/26/2013 1:02:32 PM

veni, vidi, spici

i currently have 2 types of "black caapi" from maya, 18 and 38. 1 gave me normal caapi extract and brewed up like caapi and the other gave me results that seem consistent with Alicia. I cant remember which was which but i have it written down and i will update when i get home tonight.

do we know which no. of vine was tested by Endlessness?
INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

it's all in your mind, but what's your mind???

fool of the year

Amygdala
#9 Posted : 2/26/2013 2:10:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I had one black caapi #38 from maya fail yesterday for an extraction... may well be my process. Trying again today, will post w/ results. Fingers crossed this is not inactive... Crying or very sad
β€œWhat goes on inside is just too fast and huge and all interconnected for words to do more than barely sketch the outlines of at most one tiny little part of it at any given instant.” - David Foster Wallace

SnozzleBerry
#10 Posted : 2/26/2013 2:33:00 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

3rdI wrote:
i currently have 2 types of "black caapi" from maya, 18 and 38. 1 gave me normal caapi extract and brewed up like caapi and the other gave me results that seem consistent with Alicia. I cant remember which was which but i have it written down and i will update when i get home tonight.

do we know which no. of vine was tested by Endlessness?

Ugh, well that's annoying as hell Confused

Please let us know what you find when you check. There was no indication in the initial thread as to what batch number the black caapi that was tested was from, but perhaps endless knows.

Assuming that Maya purchased A. anisopetala from one of the few wholesalers who exist and appropriately label their products (seems rather plausible), this could be further evidence of re-sale mislabeling. This crap is not cool...it needs to stop.
Wiki β€’ Attitude β€’ FAQ
The Nexian β€’ Nexus Research β€’ The OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם Χ–Χ” Χ™Χ’Χ‘Χ•Χ¨

Jees
#11 Posted : 2/26/2013 5:03:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Maurice said not to have Alicia ordered the latest years because Alicia didn't work.

Infundibulum
#12 Posted : 2/26/2013 5:20:20 PM

ModeratorChemical expert

Snozzleberry wrote:
Also, I've never understood white harmalas. The literature describes the pure xtals as a pale yellow. Infund, do you have any thoughts?

Could be salt vs freebase. freebases can be cleaned repeatedly with basic water to yield white (or very close to white) powder, but salts are amlost always pale yellow.

Amygdala wrote:
I had one black caapi #38 from maya fail yesterday for an extraction... may well be my process. Trying again today, will post w/ results. Fingers crossed this is not inactive...

Could you care to detail your procedure? it could be that your caapi wasn't caapi, but I'd wait for the procedure description first. Also, did you check with black light?

Again people, the black light is your best weapon, if a suspect caapi plant extract fluoresces, then it has beta carbolines that we know how to take out. If not, then it is another issue. It is such as simple test, that even vendors could quickly check their batch of suspect caapi.

Amygdala
#13 Posted : 2/26/2013 6:27:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Infundibulum wrote:
Snozzleberry wrote:

[quote=Amygdala]I had one black caapi #38 from maya fail yesterday for an extraction... may well be my process. Trying again today, will post w/ results. Fingers crossed this is not inactive...

Could you care to detail your procedure? it could be that your caapi wasn't caapi, but I'd wait for the procedure description first. Also, did you check with black light?

I followed https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=17029 exactly... the resultant 3 teas were combined and reduced to 4-500 mls, and were a little sludgey. I added lye solution, it turned a little black, though no precips fell out of solution after 12hrs. (added more lye and water, no benefit).

I am currently in the process of trying again, this time filtering between teas and after reducing to eliminate as much plant matter as possilbe before adding lye, hoping the clarity of the solution will make for an easier precipitation.

Hopefully this one works
β€œWhat goes on inside is just too fast and huge and all interconnected for words to do more than barely sketch the outlines of at most one tiny little part of it at any given instant.” - David Foster Wallace

jamie
#14 Posted : 2/26/2013 6:40:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

I changed the title of this thread, added "banisteriopsis" into the title..becasue the alicia vine IS black caapi. Many vines are called caapi in the jungle..the mislable on the vine was the Banisteriopsis Caapi title.
Long live the unwoke.

AlbertKLloyd
#15 Posted : 2/26/2013 7:55:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Interesting. I had some "black" caapi that appeared to be this Alicia material but did glow under a black light(a different color than other caapi but still it did glow) it was also very strong, requiring about 5X less material for a brew.

Infundibulum
#16 Posted : 2/26/2013 8:11:07 PM

ModeratorChemical expert

AlbertKLloyd wrote:
Interesting. I had some "black" caapi that appeared to be this Alicia material but did glow under a black light(a different color than other caapi but still it did glow) it was also very strong, requiring about 5X less material for a brew.

so how a material appears to be Alicia as opposed to banisteriosis? I personally think that the whole alicia thing is quite new to the scene and that, even though there may be tell-tale signs, I generally find it hard to believe that everyone turned an experienced botanist and can ID alicias and banisteriopsis after been trained with a dozen of internet photos...

I strongly think that people who think they can easily tell one from another should make a detailed thread to help the others in the ID.

Jees
#17 Posted : 2/26/2013 8:17:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The cross section is quite remarkable:
https://www.dmt-nexus.me...spx?g=posts&m=409193
Tho, the plant world can take us by surprise anytime.

AlbertKLloyd
#18 Posted : 2/26/2013 8:39:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Infundibulum wrote:
AlbertKLloyd wrote:

so how a material appears to be Alicia as opposed to banisteriosis? I personally think that the whole alicia thing is quite new to the scene and that, even though there may be tell-tale signs, I generally find it hard to believe that everyone turned an experienced botanist and can ID alicias and banisteriopsis after been trained with a dozen of internet photos...

I strongly think that people who think they can easily tell one from another should make a detailed thread to help the others in the ID.

Good points.

The material looked unlike any of the other caapi strains I had at the time (5 types)
it also appeared to be very close visually to what was recently depicted in another thread here.

I do have formal training as a botanist and plant taxonomist, but cannot identify these plants readily from pieces of a stem.

3rdI
#19 Posted : 2/26/2013 10:03:47 PM

veni, vidi, spici

OK so using the gibran tek I got normal harmala alks (tan powder) with black #18 but i got black/brown crystally powder with black #38.

I think its #38 which is Alicia, it brewed golden and produced the dark crystals when extracted.
INHALE, SURVIVE, ADAPT

it's all in your mind, but what's your mind???

fool of the year

jamie
#20 Posted : 2/26/2013 10:09:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

Infundibulum wrote:
AlbertKLloyd wrote:

They look nothing alike if you have both dry vines in front of you Infund. Banisteriopsis and Alicia might have a similar shape as they are still related vines, but the color, texture etc is very different. Alicia for one thing is lighter..it has more pours. It is like a weird grey color..no caapi looks like that. Anyone who has seen caapi would know that Alicia looks different if you gave them a piece of the vine.

The live plant I think is what is more confusing..it has been confused with diploterys by many people it seems..
Long live the unwoke.

12NEXT