We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Bill to legalize cannabis introduced in Maryland. Six more US states considering legislation. Options

VoidTraveler
#1 Posted : 2/23/2013 12:13:58 PM

Traveler's pet cactus

Senior Member | Skills: Harm reduction

I came across this news article.

If you're a US citizen, perhaps now is the time to join the cannabis movement because this momentum could be used to create a ripple effect.

http://blog.norml.org/2013/02/21/bill-to-legalize-marijuana-introduced-in-maryland/

Quote:

Hot on the heels of the introduction of a bill to tax and regulate marijuana in Maine earlier today, Delegate Curt Anderson (D-Baltimore) has filed legislation in Maryland that would end his state’s prohibition on marijuana and regulate its possession, use, and sale for adults over the age of 21.

House Bill 1453 would create a system to regulate and tax cannabis in a manner similar to how the state handles alcohol. It would instruct the Maryland comptroller to license marijuana retail stores, wholesale facilities and testing facilities and apply an excise tax of $50 per ounce on wholesale sales. The excise tax revenue would go to fund treatment programs to prevent alcohol, tobacco and drug abuse. You can read the full text of this proposal here.

If you live in Maryland, please take a moment and use NORML’s Take Action Center here to easily contact your Representative and urge him or her to support this important legislation.

MARYLAND: Click here to urge your elected officials to support this legislation

The winds of reform are blowing strongly at our backs, with Maryland entering the fray, there is currently a total of six states (Maine, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont) with pending legislation to legalize marijuana for adult consumption. Check out the full list of pending state legislation here and find out if your state is considering marijuana law reforms in this legislative session.
The spice extends life.
The spice expands consciousness.
The spice is vital to space travel.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

hixidom
#2 Posted : 2/23/2013 3:52:10 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I'm an american myself but, like all americans Wink , I'm somewhat ignorant of how the U.S. government works. Shouldn't state laws legalizing federally prohibited drugs be struck down under the supremacy clause?

BTW, the article in the OP is great news! Much appreciated.
Every day I am thankful that I was introduced to psychedelic drugs.

Yerba
#3 Posted : 2/23/2013 4:12:34 PM
DMT-Nexus member

The state law doesn't necessarily conflict with the federal prohibition. State police can ignore an offense all they want, but as we've seen in California the DEA still has the legal authority to go in.

CuriousSeeker
#4 Posted : 2/24/2013 3:58:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes, federal law trumps state law, however, once enough states change their laws there will be enough support to change federal law. This is how alcohol prohibition was first passed and then later repealed. Also, it is local law enforcement that conducts most of the arrests, so if their mission statement is changed you have fewer jack booted thugs to worry about. Very happy

Check out NORML and the Drug Policy Alliance for more information about this.

Cannabis legalization will occur, it is just a matter of time and effort!

Peace!
A scale is a wonderful thing. Everything else posted by CS is lunatic fiction.

spinCycle
#5 Posted : 2/24/2013 4:31:28 PM

Life is Art is Life

CuriousSeeker wrote:
Yes, federal law trumps state law, however, once enough states change their laws there will be enough support to change federal law. This is how alcohol prohibition was first passed and then later repealed. Also, it is local law enforcement that conducts most of the arrests, so if their mission statement is changed you have fewer jack booted thugs to worry about. Very happy

Check out NORML and the Drug Policy Alliance for more information about this.

Cannabis legalization will occur, it is just a matter of time and effort!

Peace!

Yes, at this point I think we've got the proverbial snowball rolling down the hill and gathering momentum. At some point (I think within less than 10 years) it will reach critical mass and there will be a change. The more that states go for legalization, the harder it will be for the feds to spread their resources around to hassle those states, even if they continue to want to.
Images of broken light,
Which dance before me like a million eyes,
They call me on and on...

dreamer042
#6 Posted : 2/24/2013 6:31:48 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

They are working on this at the federal level too Thumbs up

Federal Medical Marijuana Bills Introduced in Congress

Quote:
Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR) authored H.R. 689, the “States’ Medical Marijuana Patient Protection Act,” which in addition to rescheduling marijuana will allow states to establish production and distribution laws without interference by the federal government, and will remove current obstacles to research.

Rep. Sam Farr (D-CA) authored the “Truth in Trials Act,” a separate bill which seeks to overturn the prohibition on medical marijuana evidence in federal court.
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

hixidom
#7 Posted : 2/24/2013 8:14:08 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
The more that states go for legalization, the harder it will be for the feds to spread their resources around to hassle those states, even if they continue to want to.

I have never heard anyone make that point before, but it is a very good one.
Every day I am thankful that I was introduced to psychedelic drugs.