We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV2345NEXT
Anyone notice how 'popular' DMT is becoming? Options

nen888
#61 Posted : 2/6/2013 6:32:44 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

Quote:
plmage wrote:

Cosmicbenji wrote:
Quote:
There's NO WAY to Schedule ALL of Nature in its entirety, so baseless fears aside, IMHO this is EXACTLY what the DMT wants!!!! It is EVERYWHERE in Nature, and as IT sees fit, IT is seemingly availing itself to us, but ONLY as we've become ready for IT to do so... Given the rate of hyperconnectivity that the WWW facilitates, the message (or meme rather) has the ability to essentially "go viral", and grow on an EXPONENTIAL level

..is it DMT that puts itself in the plants? i think it's the other way round

the growing awareness of DMT sources leads to growing awareness of plants and nature..

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

echoes
#62 Posted : 2/6/2013 1:54:05 PM
DMT-Nexus member

In my country in Europe maybe 1% know people are aware it even exists, and I know only 3 people besides myself who have tried it.
So here it's still not very popular, but neither are other psychedelics...
No matter what you've done, you deserve respect. Even if you make mistakes, you're lovable.
And it doesn’t matter - your looks, skills, age, your size, or anything.

You’re worthwhile. No one can ever take that away from you.

DeDao
#63 Posted : 2/6/2013 2:15:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If you watch those videos they actually just make DMT look bad.

Sad. I suppose only certain people understand the power and meaning behind psychedelic use.
"Think more than you speak"
"How do you get rid of the pain of having pain in the first place? You get rid of expectations"
"You are everything that is. Open yourself to the love and understanding that is available."
"To see God, you have to have met the Devil."
"When you know how to listen, everyone becomes a guru."
" One time, I didn't do anything, and it was so empty... Almost as if I wasn't doing anything. Then I wrote about it. It was fulfilling."

Izzyrizzy
#64 Posted : 2/6/2013 4:12:58 PM

Doobies and boobies

I find the popularity increase in DMT to be somewhat negative..

Everyone I know of that is useing DMT, use it for the wrong reasons..
Atleast for me, I find this drug to be a very spritual tool, not some party drug to be used on the weekends, or some psychadelic that all these little kiddies can brag to their friends about..

The ones that are educated behind the proper uses of DMT, are the ones worthy of useing DMT...

Thats just me though..
I keep losing my phone in hyperspace X[

Fact: Some people like to play video games, so people like to sky dive and do crazy stuff, and some people like to enter the many different doorways of our own minds! For I am one to explore where many refuse to go!

spanda
#65 Posted : 2/6/2013 5:45:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

universecannon wrote:
i dont understand why people think its some big mystery how dmt has gotten so widely known... The real question is why the heck did it take so long for people to catch on

The first time I smoked it was in Chicago in 1968. It was quite popular then, but hard to find. You had to be well connected even though I believe it was still legal at that point. The internet changed all that once the information about how to extract it was shared with a massive global audience. Also the source material became more available. Trends have to reach a critical mass before they spread from a core group to a larger population. Like a reservoir filling before it spills over the banks and floods the countryside. In the sixties the whole turn on and drop out fad meant a lot of heads had more time for the long duration tripping. In this day and age I think people are busier and the low time commitment for DMT has a broader appeal.
"You cannot see Me with your normal eyes, therefore I give you divine eyes with which to behold the Power of My Yoga."
Bhagavad Gita, chapter 11, The Universal Form, verse 8

spinCycle
#66 Posted : 2/6/2013 5:57:43 PM

Life is Art is Life

spanda wrote:
The first time I smoked it was in Chicago in 1968. It was quite popular then, but hard to find. You had to be well connected even though I believe it was still legal at that point. The internet changed all that once the information about how to extract it was shared with a massive global audience. Also the source material became more available. Trends have to reach a critical mass before they spread from a core group to a larger population. Like a reservoir filling before it spills over the banks and floods the countryside. In the sixties the whole turn on and drop out fad meant a lot of heads had more time for the long duration tripping. In this day and age I think people are busier and the low time commitment for DMT has a broader appeal.

Just a guess, but I would also expect that in 1968 what you had was probably synthesized and not extracted. An extraction is a pretty simple tek by comparison. I doubt most of us could do a synthesis even if the precursors were available.

If only there were a simple way to extract LSD (not LSA)...
Images of broken light,
Which dance before me like a million eyes,
They call me on and on...

spanda
#67 Posted : 2/6/2013 6:41:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

spinCycle wrote:
spanda wrote:

Just a guess, but I would also expect that in 1968 what you had was probably synthesized and not extracted. An extraction is a pretty simple tek by comparison. I doubt most of us could do a synthesis even if the precursors were available.

If only there were a simple way to extract LSD (not LSA)...

Yes, I would bet that it was synthesized, and you're right, few among us could pull off the chemistry, but extracting is as easy (easier?) as baking a pie. And now, such a broader range of discussion about these subjects is possible. In those ancient days we could only bounce ideas or share information with our circle of friends and acquaintances. The immense flow of information today continues to reconfigure itself to provide better access to the current, as mandated by constructal law.
"You cannot see Me with your normal eyes, therefore I give you divine eyes with which to behold the Power of My Yoga."
Bhagavad Gita, chapter 11, The Universal Form, verse 8

genocide_1986
#68 Posted : 2/6/2013 9:47:44 PM

GENESYS

I only know of a few people that i can name on one hand that have tried DMT and they are friends that i have introduced to it
'I HAVE NO SPECIAL TALENT, I AM JUST PASSIONATELY CURIOUS' Albert Einstein

PupilOfPerception
#69 Posted : 2/6/2013 10:00:23 PM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

ArtieFartie wrote:
Drugs Inc, DMT a new psychedelic drug - Something that's only going to hurt DMT's rep.
http://channel.nationalg...-a-psychedelic-new-drug/

Lovely, just lovely. I wish they'd get some respectable people to interview and do the 'simulated' trip effects, they don't know what they're doing!

Idiots!
Quote:
...if you see that it is inconceivable that anything should exist, it is evident that at least one inconceivable fact is there. That is to say, that which exists is not limited to the conceivable. Since the inconceivable is there, it is impossible to set any limit to the quantity of inconceivableness which may be present in the situation. Now were the existence of anything consistently to remind you of the fact of inconceivability...it would be impossible for you to feel in the same way about the conceivable. ...if anyone were reminded about the inconceivable by the fact of existence at all constantly, he would sooner or later have the perception that there may be inconceivable considerations which are inconceivably more important than any conceivable consideration could be. ...if you do have a perception that any conceivable consideration may be utterly invalidated by some other consideration which you do not know, and if you are reminded of this perception constantly by the fact that things exist, certain modifications take place in the way you feel about things. These modifications have not taken place in the psychology of most people.
- Celia Green

PupilOfPerception
#70 Posted : 2/6/2013 10:34:02 PM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.

Psychelectric wrote:
It's the snowball effect. DMT is gaining more popularity because more people know about it and they talk about it and spread it to others. Like a fractal. Simple. Terrence McKenna seemed to get the ball rolling and others kept it going. Joe Rogan is quite outspoken about it and I'm sure he peaked a lot of curiosity in recent times. I heard about DMT through Erowid and then started the hunt to find it. The Internet really got it going, but the early Internet wasn't well suited for a discussion about obscure drugs, today's culture is. The ball is rolling and I see no sign of it stopping.

Bingo! We have a winner!

Well, it's that and a form of special cognitive bias, related to the so-called "Baader-Meinhof phenomenon". You know how you get a new car and then begin recognizing it everywhere? Yeah, that. Anyone that cares enough about hanging-out on a DMT-based website is going to notice, more than anyone else, any mentions of it in media, music, movies, etc.

Conclusion, DMT isn't necessarily increasing in popularity in any real way, it's probably just your perception that such is the case.

Personally, I think DMT should be talked about and shared with as many as possible. That said, I think the ideal means for doing that is by sharing one's personal experience with others directly, after a relationship of trust has been established. And not because I'm worried about the law, but because I want them to take my recommendation seriously.
Quote:
...if you see that it is inconceivable that anything should exist, it is evident that at least one inconceivable fact is there. That is to say, that which exists is not limited to the conceivable. Since the inconceivable is there, it is impossible to set any limit to the quantity of inconceivableness which may be present in the situation. Now were the existence of anything consistently to remind you of the fact of inconceivability...it would be impossible for you to feel in the same way about the conceivable. ...if anyone were reminded about the inconceivable by the fact of existence at all constantly, he would sooner or later have the perception that there may be inconceivable considerations which are inconceivably more important than any conceivable consideration could be. ...if you do have a perception that any conceivable consideration may be utterly invalidated by some other consideration which you do not know, and if you are reminded of this perception constantly by the fact that things exist, certain modifications take place in the way you feel about things. These modifications have not taken place in the psychology of most people.
- Celia Green

DeDao
#71 Posted : 2/6/2013 11:00:27 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Izzyrizzy wrote:

Everyone I know of that is useing DMT, use it for the wrong reasons..
Atleast for me, I find this drug to be a very spritual tool, not some party drug to be used on the weekends, or some psychadelic that all these little kiddies can brag to their friends about..

The ones that are educated behind the proper uses of DMT, are the ones worthy of useing DMT...

Thats just me though..

I agree.
"Think more than you speak"
"How do you get rid of the pain of having pain in the first place? You get rid of expectations"
"You are everything that is. Open yourself to the love and understanding that is available."
"To see God, you have to have met the Devil."
"When you know how to listen, everyone becomes a guru."
" One time, I didn't do anything, and it was so empty... Almost as if I wasn't doing anything. Then I wrote about it. It was fulfilling."

Pup Tentacle
#72 Posted : 2/6/2013 11:43:28 PM

lettuce

It would be interesting to do a poll here. Questions like "How many people do you know other than yourself that use DMT?"

With a whole battery of questions we could at least see some trends among the folks that find their way to the Nexus.

Would anyone like to help me come up with a poll? (We'd start a new thread of course.)

Shoot me a PM if interested so as not to hijack this thread and we can start getting questions together.
Pup Tentacle

You are precisely as big as what you love and precisely as small as what you allow to annoy you.
Robert Anton Wilson
Mushroom Greenhouse How-To
I'm no pro but I know a a few things - always willing to help with Psilocybe cubensis cultivation questions.

Zerogravity
#73 Posted : 2/7/2013 12:00:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Lots of interesting points here. Its increase in popularity is inevitable and imo will only increase due to what we speak on now-the internet. I think we all need to realize that with its popularity or popularity for any substance there's positive and negative outcomes.

The negatives i see with dmt's increase in popularity are an increase in propaganda,improper use and misinformation, and bark made illegal. The positives i see are the spread of psychedelics and the psychedelic movement, the awakening of those that are ready for it, and more spread of love, unity, and knowledge and this forum is a good example of that. So I think the positives strongly outweigh the negatives so proper promotion of dmt or any psychadelic for the matter in my mind is a very good thing. People like Terence/Dennis Mckenna, Joe Rogan, Alex Grey...try(ed) to promote psychedelics because they realize(d) their importance and how important they are to spread to as many people as possible.

Psychedelics help us wake up to ourselves and the world around us, the more people that do that i think the better the world we live in Smile

#74 Posted : 2/7/2013 12:08:25 AM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

dimethyltryptamine's presence will not be denied! Smile Twisted Evil

Psychelectric
#75 Posted : 2/7/2013 12:24:24 AM

Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Izzyrizzy wrote:

I happen to take the opposite veiw on this. While there are some negatives associated with the increase in popularity, such as poor regards to set and setting, foolish "lets get fucked up on this new drug" hijinks. I think that is just an inevitable side effect of it's popularity. Irresponsible use happens with all drugs, it really can't be stopped. It can only helped through proper education.

I think the increase in popularity can lead to some very positive benefits, and possibly future legalization (as I feel that all drugs will be legalized some time in the future, though not without a fight. I feel that competent adults have the right to put into their own bodies as they please).
A good example is how marijuana recently became legalized in two states in the US. This happened because people got together and advocated for marijuana, they organized got out into the public and started spreading the message about a responsible safe way to use that drug. I think the more popular DMT becomes the more chance there is of people organizing and advocating for safe and responsible use.

Honestly though, DMT can only get so popular as it takes a certain type of person to want to use the drug. I think that as our communications technologies spread around the world, like we see with the Internet, the various sub-cults that surround a particular drug will stabilize as certain types of people gravitate to certain drugs, and the up and down swing of popularity will merely be due to demograpic population shifts (I could elaborate, but I'm hoping this rough concept will suffice).

Like I said before the cat's out of the bag and I don't see it going back in any time soon.
"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here’s Tom with the weather."

jamie
#76 Posted : 2/7/2013 12:34:48 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

Things are going in the direction they are sopposed to be going in.
Long live the unwoke.

epoe
#77 Posted : 2/7/2013 12:53:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I really hope that this legalization of marijuana turns out to be a success. I'm really interested in seeing the effects, which will surely be documented and used as an example for other states and countries. That might encourage a more lenient stance on other drugs, especially those that are not (substantially) addictive.

If the increased popularity of DMT results in a root bark becoming unavailable, I half expect extractions of phalaris and other plants to get better with increased interest. Banning phalaris is probably really hard and a worst case scenario is probably something like the shroom situation, where picking them is pretty easy all over the world, so the laws don't really decrease availability. I also really doubt DMT will ever get so big that the authorities are willing to spend time and money on really trying to keep it down.

nen888
#78 Posted : 2/7/2013 12:58:49 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

Psychelectric wrote:
Quote:
A good example is how marijuana recently became legalized in two states in the US. This happened because people got together and advocated for marijuana, they organized got out into the public and started spreading the message about a responsible safe way to use that drug. I think the more popular DMT becomes the more chance there is of people organizing and advocating for safe and responsible use.

..this is why i think it's important to advocate safe and responsible use on this site..
i really think DMT needs to be separated from usual 'drug' culture..

as for where the rising awareness of DMT may be, ponder this:
the other week i was walking past a high school on a weekend..standing outside waiting for a friend was a 16-17 year old guy..as i walked past i noticed he was chewing and tasting various roadside grass samples that he was picking..
'hi, looking for phalaris?' i smiled, still walking..he looked taken aback for a moment, then replied 'eh, yeah..'
as i keep on walking i pondered the profound responsibility of giving out information on a site such as this..

i suspect, however, the next generation may have enough information to treat DMT differently and with sense and respect..

but, this is where the models and archetypes are set..

DMT my be a cosmic joke, but it's no game..
this is evolution of consciousness, and the next phase of a very long struggle over freedom of mind and nature..

Psychelectric
#79 Posted : 2/7/2013 1:29:38 AM

Curiouser and curiouser

nen888 wrote:
Quote:

i really think DMT needs to be separated from usual 'drug' culture..

I don't think DMT has a choice. Laughing

From my experience people use drugs for various reasons, some to escape, some to self medicate, some to "party" (get fucked up), some as an accent to a mood, and some for some sort of spiritual enlightenment. {Yes there are many subtle overlaps, ect. but this is just a general concept}

I think different drugs lend themselves to each of these catergories. Such as I can see heroin fall easily into the escapist or self medicate category, but I think it would be rare to find someone who uses heroin for spiritual enlightenment. ect.

I think people who are new to drugs tend to experiment to find out in which way they would use the drug. DMT is a very strong and particular kind of drug and it takes a certain person to keep up a DMT hobby (I fret to use the word habit). I think experimenters may initially try to use DMT in some way only to find out that it's not they way it should be used from their experience. While those curious will use and may use foolishly I'm sure only the dedicated will keep using. Experimentation will always happen and mistakes will always be made.

I think people use DMT in one of two ways, as a means to spiritual enlightenment as a pychedelic sacrement of sorts or as a wild psychedelic roller coaster. I personally have used DMT in both ways and I feel both are just as viable approachs to use the drug, provided that safety is accounted for along with proper set and setting which I guess is just a redunt way of saying "be safe".

[Ahem and now for a string of silly emoticons: Neutral Smile Very happy Big grin Laughing Surprised Embarrased Wut? Drool Razz Twisted Evil Stop Cool }
"Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here’s Tom with the weather."

wearepeople
#80 Posted : 2/7/2013 1:37:56 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Dmt like totally won prom king AND queen this year.

Totally. Like omg.
+ ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- DMT Nexus Research ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- +

«PREV2345NEXT