We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Prioritizing sterilization Options

Philosopher
#1 Posted : 2/5/2013 10:27:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have a few quick questions. I'm using the BRF tek to grow some golden teacher strain and I was wondering at which point in the process does sterilization lose its extremely HIgH priority. I know after the steaming is when it begins and during innoculation it is extremely important. But once colonization occurs( I think that's what it's called, full mycelial coverage) is sterilization still a huge issue. I am not sure wether to preform the dunk and roll technique in a fume hood or if its safe in a clean kitchen. Also can you touch the fully colonized cake with gloves on and place it into the unsterilizied perlite fruiting chamber? I feel like you must somehow clean the perlite but there is no mention of this in the tek. Another question is after innoculation I intend to cover the holes with micro spore medical tape then do I twist the cap on and leave it, or cover it more with foil, try to make it airtight or no?
We are surprisingly similar.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

AlbertKLloyd
#2 Posted : 2/5/2013 11:17:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

There are different approaches you can take, but in general once the cake or substrate is colonized it is more resistant to contamination, though one should stay clean and neat.

Philosopher
#3 Posted : 2/5/2013 11:26:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks thats what I was wondering. Does anyone use perlite for moisture regulation? Do you have to sterilize it first?
We are surprisingly similar.