We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Java Vulnerability on the loose, recommendation to disable Java Options

Vodsel
#1 Posted : 1/12/2013 2:15:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Filmmaking and Storytelling, Video and Audio Technology, Teaching, Gardening, Languages (Proficient Spanish, Catalan and English, and some french, italian and russian), Seafood cuisine

It might not last much if Oracle works on it... prevention is easy but annoying (it will shut down scripts we use here).

A Java security problem has been reported by CERT, you can read about it in this article in The Next Web, New Java Vulnerability is being exploited in the wild - Disabling Java is currently your only option.

More background on the vulnerability can be found here:

CERT wrote:
Solution
We are currently unaware of a practical solution to this problem. Please consider the following workarounds:

Disable Java in web browsers

Starting with Java 7 Update 10, it is possible to disable Java content in web browsers through the Java control panel applet. Please see the Java documentation for more details.
Note: Due to what appears to potentially be a bug in the Java installer, the Java Control Panel applet may be missing on some Windows systems. In such cases, the Java Control Panel applet may be launched by finding and executing javacpl.exe manually. This file is likely to be found in C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin or C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin.
Also note that we have encountered situations where Java will crash if it has been disabled in the web browser as described above and then subsequently re-enabled. Reinstalling Java appears to correct this situation.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

The Traveler
#2 Posted : 1/12/2013 11:47:25 AM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

Yup, the so manyth serious vulnerability with Java in a short time. I have the feeling it all got much worse since Oracle took over Sun. Also the fact that they let these leaks life for so lang shows me how low a priority Oracle puts on Java.

I have disabled my Java client a long time ago and I don't dare to switch it on again, for me the Java journey is over.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Macre
#3 Posted : 1/12/2013 3:09:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Oh boy, more lazy patching? Ransomware distributors will be pleased Thumbs down

Peace

Macre
All things stated within this website by myself are expressly intended for entertainment purposes only.

All people in general, and users of this site are encouraged by myself, other members, and DMT-Nexus, to know and abide by the laws of the jurisdiction in which they are situated.

I, other members, and DMT-Nexus, do not condone or encourage the use, supply, or production of illegal drugs or controlled substances in any way whatsoever.