We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
DMT For Cluster Headaches Options

Nathanial.Dread
#1 Posted : 1/9/2013 9:40:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Has anyone heard of using DMT to treat cluster headaches, like some suffers use LSD or Psiocybin for?

Both LSD and Psilocybin are analogous to serotonin, and so is DMT, so DMT could work. Dosing with DMT might also be better then with LSD or mushrooms, as the DMT experience is much faster then a full 6 hour mushroom trip, or 12 hour LSD-Extravaganza.

Just wondering.
"There are many paths up the same mountain."

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

SeekerOfTruths
#2 Posted : 1/9/2013 10:18:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

As cluster headaches are a far and few experience for me thankfully I haven't tried.

I however can say that it is a pretty good agent at aborting Migraines better then most prescribed drugs i've taken. But with that said, I'm always pretty terrified that one time i'll take the toke, the headache wont go away and i'll be stuck in agony with a Migraine and DMT. Pretty nerve wracking thoughts, the few cluster headaches i've had I can say for sure it would be awful if it didn't work.

VoidTraveler
#3 Posted : 1/9/2013 10:26:29 PM

Traveler's pet cactus

Senior Member | Skills: Harm reduction

I can't find the link but I do remember reading an experience report from a suffered of cluster headache who reported that DMT would abort a trip.

I do have a question concerning this: Psilocybin (and presumably LSD as well) and tryptan based medication such as Sumatriptan / Rizatriptan have cross-tolerance with each other. If a patient suffering some clusters takes a triptan to abort an attack they have to wait between 7 to 14 days. The source for this was an article in a national newspaper, which makes citing it a bit difficult. Would this tolerance also apply to DMT?

I would assume not because DMT and shrooms do not have cross-tolerance.

HOWEVER, one should wonder if vaporizing DMT is a wise thing to do during during an attack or when one is coming up. The pain could cause a horrendous trip. Perhaps it's wise to smoke between attacks to see if DMT has any influence on the time between attacks. If this doesn't provoke an attack or no aid comes from it one could try smoking low doses at the very faint feelings of an imminent attack.

If you wish to experiment with DMT for treatment of clusters:
1) Always make sure there's a sober sitter around. The re-entry could be very uncomfortable and having someone around to either help reflect on the trip or take care of things when the DMT did not abort the attack can be very helpful.
2) Do early experiments between attacks and start with low doses.
3) Keep a log book, including how often attacks and severity of each attack. I cannot imagine the excruciating pain a patient goes through but I assume attacks have varying intensities. This helps to keep track of which doses are beneficial so that others can benefit from this too.
4) Don't rush into it. For all we know, DMT might provoke an attack or worsen things. This is highly unlikely due to the shared chemical structure of all these substances, but their subtle differences can have major impact on the effects.
The spice extends life.
The spice expands consciousness.
The spice is vital to space travel.

VoidTraveler
#4 Posted : 1/9/2013 10:27:29 PM

Traveler's pet cactus

Senior Member | Skills: Harm reduction

SeekerOfTruths wrote:
As cluster headaches are a far and few experience for me thankfully I haven't tried.

I however can say that it is a pretty good agent at aborting Migraines better then most prescribed drugs i've taken. But with that said, I'm always pretty terrified that one time i'll take the toke, the headache wont go away and i'll be stuck in agony with a Migraine and DMT. Pretty nerve wracking thoughts, the few cluster headaches i've had I can say for sure it would be awful if it didn't work.

What doses did you smoke and did you experiment with sub-breakthrough doses?
The spice extends life.
The spice expands consciousness.
The spice is vital to space travel.

Psychonaut In Orbit
#5 Posted : 1/9/2013 10:33:15 PM

Ancient Futuristic Organisms

SeekerOfTruths wrote:

The first extraction I did I went overboard. I was doing DMT like 10-15 times A DAY (yes). I learnt my lesson though but in reference to this after like the 3rd day of my binge I had a TERRIBLE headache... and I still decided to take a trip. During the trip the pain went away but there was still an odd pressure within my head as well as my visuals being a lot darker than usual. When I came back from my trip my headache returned with a vengeance. So it did bring me short term relief but it didn't shut the pain completely off. I think this was also partly to do with me using tobacco out of a cigar (blunt) as my buffer instead of marijuana... because I had ran out of my stash.
1% of reality is within our plane of existence. What we feel... what we see... what we hear... what we "think" we know... The other 99% percent of reality can only be shown to us through DMT. This 99% lies within the "Realm of the Unknowns". We can only experience FULL reality when we leave this vessel, our bodies. DMT gives us a taste of this full reality... the universal knowledge is given to us by the beings who call "hyperspace" their home. When in hyperspace there is no "self" but instead this self is replaced with pure and raw energy. ENERGY CAN NOT BE DESTROYED, ONLY TRANSFERRED OR TRANSFORMED! So when you have that "ego-death" during a breakthrough trip, don't fret, you are not being destroyed but yet..... YOU ARE BEING TRANSFORMED.

I LOVE YOU, RESPECT YOU AND I THANK YOU... Dimethyltryptamine ... for showing me the 99% of reality that I would never have experienced in everyday life.

*All posts under this moniker, Psychonaut In Orbit, is for entertainment and research purposes only. All events stated to have happened, or witnessed are all heresay and fictional*

genocide_1986
#6 Posted : 1/9/2013 10:44:32 PM

GENESYS

The migraine abortive medicine 'sumatriptan' and other triptans contain DMT as their active ingredient.
I am a regular migraine sufferer and I find after spice I don't get a migraine for about a month after :-)
'I HAVE NO SPECIAL TALENT, I AM JUST PASSIONATELY CURIOUS' Albert Einstein

genocide_1986
#7 Posted : 1/9/2013 10:48:45 PM

GENESYS

genocide_1986 wrote:
The migraine abortive medicine 'sumatriptan' and other triptans contain DMT as their active ingredient.
I am a regular migraine sufferer and I find after spice I don't get a migraine for about a month after :-)

Oops didn't see the post above Cool Confused

jamie
#8 Posted : 1/9/2013 11:11:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

sumatriptan does not contain DMT. It contains another tryptamine that is a structural analogue of DMT, but it is definatly not DMT.
Long live the unwoke.

Parshvik Chintan
#9 Posted : 1/9/2013 11:15:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

jamie wrote:
sumatriptan does not contain DMT. It contains another tryptamine that is a structural analogue of DMT, but it is definatly not DMT.

would oral DMT without MAO inhibition even do anything for cluster headaches?
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

SeekerOfTruths
#10 Posted : 1/10/2013 12:24:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

VoidTraveler wrote:
SeekerOfTruths wrote:

What doses did you smoke and did you experiment with sub-breakthrough doses?

I guess i've probably partaken about 12 or so times with a headache. Around the 15-20mg dose size, once or twice followed up with a larger dose. There was one incident where I did do a full load around 35mg, breakthrough with a migraine, the migraine stayed subsided almost immediately after inhaling, and remained aborted post trip.

It seems for me at-least, Migraines respond well to DMT. The feeling is odd, almost as if I can sense the headache being pulled or pushed out of my brain. Some sort of bizarre electrical feeling, and it usually remains aborted, post trip. However I do not seem to get much if any preventative effect from DMT for migraines.

On the note pyschonaut brought up thought, I have had an incident or two that the headache never fully went away and came back seemingly worse. But I believe I was suffering more from a Sinus headache then a migraine at that time.

The slight variances and the occasional backfiring (even if it was truly not a migraine), usually leave me to using Ritzotryptan or similar substances as a first lineup instead of reaching for a DMT pipe, maybe i'll continue to experiment with DMT as a relief aid more often.

Sorry for the broken english, i'm slightly distracted at the moment, but wanted to reply.

genocide_1986
#11 Posted : 1/10/2013 1:19:42 AM

GENESYS

jamie wrote:

It just says on the leaflet in the box the
Active ingredient is dimethyltriptamine I suppose
If it was actual DMT people would be crushing them up lol

Parshvik Chintan
#12 Posted : 1/10/2013 1:58:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

genocide_1986 wrote:
Active ingredient is dimethyltriptamine

weird
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sumatriptan
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

Metanoia
#13 Posted : 1/10/2013 7:41:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Sumatriptan is an analog of dimethyltryptamine. That was one that I took that did work to some degree, but only for a short period of time.

I haven`t experimented with using DMT as a treatment for my cluster headaches. I haven`t had an attack now for years, so what I`m doing is working. I use mushrooms at least once a month, I smoke Salvia at least twice a month, I will take a dose of LSA seeds in lieu of mushrooms sometimes as well, and recently I`ve been using DMT, but more recreationally than anything.

About a month ago I felt a migraine coming on and decided to smoke a small dose of changa (actually enhanced leaf), and it did abort the migraine completely. My changa has some Salvia leaf in it though, so I can`t say for sure if it was the DMT. Salvia on it`s own is known to abort migraines in my experience.

Muskogee Herbman
#14 Posted : 1/28/2013 12:29:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I've attempted to abort a cluster headache attack with DMT.
The headache went away while under the influence of it, but came back after.
I think you need a pretty heavy dose, like a break through, I was only doing medium and low doses. If I have an attack again I will try a break through and report back.

LSD is by far the most affective, 1/4 a hit every 5 days for 3 doses every 6 months.
I've been talking to a psychiatrist at Yale, who's about to start clinical trials on LSD and cluster headaches there. He's given me a few psychdelic treatment options as well as the website "Cluster Busters" which has loads of information using Mushrooms to abort and prevent the attacks
Creator help me live in a way that will make my ancestors proud.

d*l*b
#15 Posted : 1/28/2013 1:08:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It has been many years since I have had cluster headaches but I still suffer migraine. I have, in a desperate situation, microdosed DMT (10-15mg) to abort a migraine in the aura phase. I did this based on the fact that Rizatriptan, Sumatriptan etc. are closely related to DMT, as well as the documented experience of cluster headache sufferers with mushrooms and triptans.

I had a very similar experience to that which SeekerOfTruths describes. A sort of pressure, electric feeling and pushing out of the migraine-starting feeling. Whilst I seemed to have good results I would only try using it for migraines in the most desperate circumstances (I find Rizatriptan works very well and the possibility of a medication not working is not something I would choose).

genocide_1986 wrote:
Active ingredient is dimethyltriptamine I suppose

No, as jamie said, the active ingredient is Sumatriptan. Sumatriptan is not DMT. From the the patient leaflet:

Package Leaflet: Information for the User wrote:
What Sumatriptan contains
- The active ingredient is sumatriptan
D × V × F > R

Metanoia
#16 Posted : 1/28/2013 3:33:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Muskogee Herbman wrote:
LSD is by far the most affective, 1/4 a hit every 5 days for 3 doses every 6 months.
I've been talking to a psychiatrist at Yale, who's about to start clinical trials on LSD and cluster headaches there. He's given me a few psychdelic treatment options as well as the website "Cluster Busters" which has loads of information using Mushrooms to abort and prevent the attacks

LSD does work, as I used it in my teens and stopped suffering from cluster headaches. I didn't make the connection right away, because I was also doing other drugs at the time.

Mushrooms are just as effective in my personal experience. And they are much more cost effective and safer, at least in my opinion. I worry about the quality of "LSD" you can get off the street, so haven't taken any for many years now. Mushrooms you can grow yourself and are certain of the quality and efficacy. If you haven't tried mushrooms to control your cluster headaches, I recommend it wholeheartedly Smile

LSA seeds work as well. I find Ololiuqui (Rivea/Turbina corymbosa) to be the most agreeable and effective.