We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
HDPE bottle went from round to square? Options

ramone
#1 Posted : 1/25/2009 12:19:58 AM
DMT-Nexus member

What the hell happened? SWIM left lye and naphtha in it overnight and the sides flattened out so it's square with rounded edges now. Shocked

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

coz42
#2 Posted : 1/25/2009 12:32:44 AM

DMT-Nexus member

----->

wtf???Shocked

Wouldn't know, but its not like it's going to affect SWIY much. Those things are supposed to be very durable... SWIM have used even 1lb+ of NaOH with no noticeable change in the jug.

On a lighter note, maybe its trying to self-replicate. Smile
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. We will understand only what we are taught. ~Baba Dioum

69ron
#3 Posted : 1/25/2009 12:58:09 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Are you sure it's not LDPE?

Also, did it ever get heated too much? HDPE has great chemical resistance at room temperature, but not when hot.
You may remember me as 69Ron. I was suspended years ago for selling bunk products under false pretenses. I try to sneak back from time to time under different names, but unfortunately, the moderators of the DMT-Nexus are infinitely smarter than I am.

If you see me at the waterpark, please say hello. I'll be the delusional 50 something in the American flag Speedo, oiling up his monster guns while responding to imaginary requests for selfies from invisible teenage girls.

Infundibulum
#4 Posted : 1/25/2009 12:20:34 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Wow, going from round to square sounds too bizarre! It's a bit against entropy as well.

You sure not drunk when doing experiments?

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

ramone
#5 Posted : 1/25/2009 9:49:03 PM
DMT-Nexus member

It was a #2 HDPE bottle of wiper fluid. It never got hot, if anything it was colder than room temp It was on its side most of the time.

acolon_5
#6 Posted : 1/26/2009 4:05:53 PM

The Great Namah

Adding lye to water creates quite a bit of heat and a STB tek calls for A LOT of lye, that equates to a lot of heat. I've had jugs change shape from the heat before. Never from round to square, but you should be fine. I don't think it will affect your experiement at all.
The Spice extends life
The Spice expands consciousness
The Spice is vital for space travel
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Never underestimate the power of STUFF!

I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention.

I don't know SWIM and personally don't trust him at all. If SWIM is posting, most likely I will not respond...as I said, I don't trust the guy. YOU I trust, but never SWIM.

shoe
#7 Posted : 1/27/2009 5:17:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

yea, i've seen some crazy melting plastic too, but from the heat of the NaOH dissolving rather than any reaction.

But, round to square? as somone said, its against entropy, unless it was sitting with other things around it to allow it to go into that shape?
shoe

ॐ भूर्भुव: स्व: तत्सवितुर्वरेण्यं । भर्गो देवस्य धीमहि, धीयो यो न: प्रचोदयात्
Love, Gratittude, Compassion, Fearlessness!

SyZyGyPSy
#8 Posted : 1/28/2009 6:52:59 PM
Tryptophilese Metaphysticus Anomalopteris III

You probly absorbed some spice subcutaneously somehow or something. Wait until it wears off and see if the jug goes back to being round again.
He he... but seriously, that's weird. Got any pics?
The Ultimate Secret of the Universe is that there is no Ultimate Secret of the Universe... there's just a bunch of stuff that happens.

ramone
#9 Posted : 1/30/2009 8:22:06 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Sorry no pics, it's been thrown out, it was getting even more square. It really didn't get very hot and if the deformation was caused by heat i would expect it to be instantaneous. This happened over night, it was sitting on it's side and it was rolled around periodically. If it happens again I'll get the dude to take pics

benzyme
#10 Posted : 2/2/2009 4:25:42 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

Infundibulum wrote:

You sure not drunk when doing experiments?

lol

swim busted some sep funnels that way (not securing them well on clamps)
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

AI
#11 Posted : 3/2/2009 5:37:05 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I think I know what he's talking about...

Did the pressure inside simply decrease while the cap was sealed? I've seen the round HDPE containers have the sides sucked in when pressure inside drops, and if it happens on all four sides it looks like a rounded-square type shape. I doubt the plastic melted and reformed or anything...

psychosisdoses
#12 Posted : 3/12/2009 12:43:47 AM

Derek

heh this happened to swim the other day

swim said it since added more vinegar soak to the base/naptha solution mayhaps neutralizing it somewhat swim didnt check ph however he noticed the bottle went back to round..... odd eh? done several naptha pulls from said bottle... it seems to be whats desired swim has no fear of shape shifting bottles they cant fool him
psychosisdoses attached the following image(s):
squarebottle.jpg (36kb) downloaded 64 time(s).
round bottle.jpg (37kb) downloaded 62 time(s).
"once youve locked yourself into a serious drug collection the tendency is to push it as far as you can..." - hunter s. thompson

~~~~~~~~...You are me and i am you, i will always be with you...~~~~~~~~IAmUsWeYouMe~~~~~~~~
‹maxzar100› YOU are like acid
‹mattimus› dosesdosingdoses