We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Nose polyps - Any experience? Options

endlessness
#1 Posted : 7/4/2012 11:03:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

For the last year or so i've been having trouble breathing specially through my left nostril. Long story short, I have a nose polyp which is blocking the passageway. Now the normal way to get rid of them is corticoid medication and/or surgery.

So my doctor suggested I first try 3x IM corticoid injections (needles in the butt, yay! Laughing ), and if it doesn't improve I go for the operation.

But I was wondering if appart from that, are there any natural medicines that have good effects for this? Anybody got experience with natural medicines, or were operated or had corticoids?

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

zombicyckel
#2 Posted : 7/5/2012 3:19:44 PM

Armchair activist

endlessness wrote:
For the last year or so i've been having trouble breathing specially through my left nostril. Long story short, I have a nose polyp which is blocking the passageway. Now the normal way to get rid of them is corticoid medication and/or surgery.

So my doctor suggested I first try 3x IM corticoid injections (needles in the butt, yay! Laughing ), and if it doesn't improve I go for the operation.

But I was wondering if appart from that, are there any natural medicines that have good effects for this? Anybody got experience with natural medicines, or were operated or had corticoids?

A shot in the butt dosnt sound that comfy(thats what she said) Very happy Dont really know any good tips. Do you have to pay for the operation? Seems like a good and permanent way to get rid of it. Can imagine that it would be annoying when trying to sleep ect.

Infundibulum
#3 Posted : 7/5/2012 3:33:09 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

If you're looking for some herbal medicine, you might want to check yarrow (Achillea millefolium). This is an ailment commonly prescribed for nose problems and one of the few herb that are insufflated in traditional herbal medicine. I was sniffing yarrow to help me with sudden, recurrent nose bleeds and it helped. It might be indicated for polyps as well, who knows?

All the best and get better!

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

endlessness
#4 Posted : 7/5/2012 4:44:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Zombicyckel, the operation would be covered by my health insurance.

Today I took the first dose of the corticoid, I was paranoid it would give me a weird reaction but so far I feel fine, no noticeable side effects. I really dislike taking any medication from Big Pharma (not the most ethical people so dont deserve my money if its not absolutely necessary), havent taken any medicine in many years and if there's a safer natural way I'd prefer, but I havent found anything and this really disrupts my quality of life since I lost a bit of my sense of smell, started snoring, have trouble breathing specially at night, etc.

Anyways now the corticoid is already flowing in my body... If it doesnt work Ill go for the operation, but I would like to avoid that if possible. Also it seems that often polyps grow back for most people, which sucks to hear. Polyps might be due to alergic reaction, but im not allergic to anything AFAIK. I do have a cat, live currently in a big city an the house sometimes gets dusty, so these 3 possible causes are there. Im anyways moving out the end of this year so if I can get rid of polyps in time, once im gone I hope it wont come back.

Thanks for the tips inf, Ill check it out!

So searching around forums, I hear some people have had good experience with tea tree. Some people say that applying some teatree with some cotton stick directly can even make the polyps fall off after some days, but others mentioned burns/cracks from teatree oil. Maybe diluting with another oil is a better idea? Or just breathing tee trea oil instead of applying it directly? (I anyways cant see/dont know at what height the polyp is so wouldnt know where to apply). Are there any contra-indications regarding tea tree oil, anybody knows? How (un)healthy is it to apply directly or to breathe it for some minutes each day?

I did notice that breathing tee trea oil (just opening the dropper and taking some breaths over it) seems to open up the passageways well, like it somehow dissolves the mucus or something. Dont know if thats a good sign, or if its unrelated.

Infundibulum
#5 Posted : 7/5/2012 4:58:10 PM

Kalt und Heiß, Schwarz und Rot, Kürper und Geist, Liebe und Chaos

ModeratorChemical expert

Endlessness, I will ask a herbalist practitioner friend of mine tonight re any herbal ailments for nose polyps. It'd suck to have to smell tea tree oil, as it smells like rat's ass.

I hear that a good alternative to tea tree oil is xylene, as it smells so much better. You could try applying some xylene with a cotton swab in the nose!

Need to calculate between salts and freebases? Click here!
Need to calculate freebase or salt percentage at a given pH? Click here!

endlessness
#6 Posted : 7/5/2012 5:00:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

LOL at xylene

Thanks inf Smile

SmoovPnCali
#7 Posted : 12/4/2012 6:51:30 PM

Reality is a matter of perspective...

Endlessness,

Any progress on the shots? Did you ever have the Surgery? I actually had the surgery for nasal Polyps. It was while I was on Active Duty in the Marines. The Marines don't have medical personnel so the Navy handles all the Medical issues for the Marines.

Anyway, I am sure your experience will be different (you will have professional Doctors working on you instead of Military Personnel getting experience before they go into the Civilian world) but I will share my experience.

I was supposed to be put out for the surgery but the idiots just prepped me with local anastegia. My body ignores local anastegia and my Anesthesiologist knew this and had actually ordered me to be put out. They put me out and were putting the breathing tube down my throat when I woke up and yanked the tube out and grabbed the closest person to me and punched him in the eye. They wrestled me down and put me waaay out.

They went in and actually broke my nasal bone to fix my deviated septum and then scrapped as many of the polyps off as they could. They then stuffed what I can only describe as huge tampons into my sinuses. When I woke up, I had two tampon strings taped to the top of my nose. Great....

For the first week or two, I had to go have my Tampons changed. Very gross and painful. After they were permenantly removed, it was like my head deflated. This is when it got really gross.

I had to irrigate my sinuses with warm saline 3x daily. What came outta my head was like the stuff you see in Alien when the pods open before the spider things pop out. Gross as hell and a never ending supply. About 4 weeks after the surgery, I had just finished my 3rd warm saline irrigation when I started to hack. I hacked for about 2 minutes and then I spit out a large piece of my nasal bone. I was all like, "WTF?" Shocked

Anyway, after all that, I still have sinus polyps. They grew back. Awesome....

On the bright side, I don't have a deviated septum anymore AND I got to punch out a Naval Officer without getting in trouble!

Orion
#8 Posted : 12/5/2012 12:52:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SmoovPnCali wrote:
I hacked for about 2 minutes and then I spit out a large piece of my nasal bone. I was all like, "WTF?" Shocked

WTF indeed, any pics ? Wink

End, how did things turn out?
Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

vardlokkur
#9 Posted : 12/5/2012 7:24:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Poke root is used topically for clearing up things like eczema, and uterine fibroids, usually in conjunction with black salve. Not sure how comfortable either would be in the sinuses but the nature in which they effect targeted areas makes me think they'd be worth looking into before trying, as they could probably at least shrink the polyps or dry them out so they can flake off.
The only hell for a warrior is peace.

The warm fuzzy side of the cold hard truth.

jamie
#10 Posted : 12/6/2012 12:08:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

if you want something to help open up sinus pathways that smells better than teatree try eucalyptus oil.. when I have a cold I get a pot of water boiling, then put a drop or 2 of the oil into the pot with a towel over my head so it makes a little tend with my head and the pot and then inhale through my nose..it works and it has some medicinal effects also apparently. Much nicer than trying to smell teatree oil anyway..

Hope this helps somewhat endless! Feel better Smile
Long live the unwoke.

SmoovPnCali
#11 Posted : 12/28/2012 1:02:56 AM

Reality is a matter of perspective...

Orion wrote:
SmoovPnCali wrote:
I hacked for about 2 minutes and then I spit out a large piece of my nasal bone. I was all like, "WTF?" Shocked

WTF indeed, any pics ? Wink

End, how did things turn out?

No pictures...but....ewwwwww!

In the end, still have the same sinus problems.

On the bright side, I don't hardly snore anymore after they fixed my deviated septum. I guess some good came outta it....

Bancopuma
#12 Posted : 12/30/2012 8:37:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

A link here to a page with dietary advice in particular for sufferers of nasal polyps. I learned to grow mushrooms through this guy, so might be worth checking out if you wanna pursue the au natural path.

http://www.nasalpolyps.20m.com/