We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Mixing Containers Options

manyc
#1 Posted : 3/5/2009 5:31:21 AM
Manyc

Hi. First, a little history.

I'm going to be doing my first long-awaited MHRB extraction in a week or so (whenever the final main ingredients arrive at my doorstep). I've been anticipating and researching this for over a year to get where I am now. Now my time has come - to see what all the fuss is about, to see if DMT really is the "epitome" of entheogens. I don't expect to be disappointed. My experience with psychedelics began with an indescribably mind-opening and profound LSD trip 4 years ago, and since then I've experienced it countless more times in various forms and in abusive amounts (until I learned to respect it). I did mushrooms a few times, and then began growing my own for about a year and gained an abundance of knowledge from them, about their collective spirit, and about raising them into beautiful phallic fields of 4-HO-DMT goodness. They came to be my strong preference over the synthetic LSD. The last time I ate mushrooms, it was 6 dry grams about a year ago. I had a vision of a skeletal, feminine demon demanding, "Let me out," followed by this rush of incredible energy through my body and whispering in my ears. I haven't eaten any since. Not that it scared me away (though it did scare the shit out of me because I've never had such auditory "hallucinations"...) - I just realized it was no longer time for the mushrooms to be in my life at this time. I've also tried 2C-I once and salvia several times. I quit cannabis a month ago, after 6 years of heavy daily use, due to my life's current demands. A break is always a good thing. I've learned that after a period of psychedelic saturation, one can gain just as much perspective and insight from a period of sobriety. You learn that often, your entheogenic journeys just lead to more questions about the unknown instead of answers. The answers you do get, however, are mostly about humanity, yourself and your relationships. The rest of the existential information is up to you to speculate about.

Now, I plan on doing the Lazy Man's tek. I've started off with half a pound of MHRB powder, but the first extraction will be done on half of that in case of a first-time fuck-up. I plan on cleaning it up a bit with a simple sodium carbonate wash. I am not at all interested in inhaling NaOH, and will take no chances with it. Plus, I want the smoothest hit I can get, to get the biggest hit I can get, with wasting as little as possible. I plan on using a bong with a bit of water in it.

My question is simple and really doesn't warrant the length of this post - for that I apologize. I am aware that apparently, a milk jug or any other HDPE2 container is ideal for the lye/water/mhrb mixture. To me that just seems a little to flimsy to be using it for such a caustic concoction, though I'm sure countless backyard chemists have had ample success doing so.

I'm just wondering if a Pyrex bowl would be ok to use for this part of the process. It's a "tear-drop" shaped bowl, so it has a sort of spout on one end. Hence the reason I bought it. I also bought a baster just in case decanting proved to be too difficult.

Thank you for your time.
[img]http://www.rense.com/1.imagesF/hemp.gif[/img]
Hemp can save the World.

Know Thyself.

Any and all things declared by this anonymous entity are false.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

amurph1111
#2 Posted : 3/6/2009 2:04:59 AM
DMT-Nexus member

that would work fine. any see through container hdpe plastic or glass will work so you can look into it from the side when extracting the solvent out of it. and i want to tell you that swim has used a milk jug, and the aqeous solution has at in it for 2 weeks, no degredation whatsoever on the plastic. perfectly safe. also sodium hydroxide etches glass, which will eventually lead to a random shatter of your container, which could prove to be very dangerous.

endlessness
#3 Posted : 3/6/2009 10:28:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

the long post was good because it showed you are quite conscious and respectful of what you are doing. Thats a good way to start Smile

As for the containers, yes thick hdpe seems fine. SWIM always used pyrex-style glass, though he already heard 'horror stories' of glass breaking after long use. But for a couple of times, theres nothing to worry about with glass.

Decanting/pouring off the naphtha seems like recipe for trouble! the solvent will very likely run down through the sides when you try to pour it off! SWIM highly advices against this! Use a pipette/turkey baster instead.

Depending on how much solvent you are using and how big is the container, the layer of solvent on top of the aqueous solution will be quite thin, making it hard to pull just the solvent without any of the aqueous layer. What SWIM does is have 2 pipettes. With one he crudely pulls all the solvent together with a bit of the aqueous layer, into a tall thin glass.

Because it is tall and thin, this means the layers will be much thicker, so any of the aqueous part you pulled together will be on the bottom and a much thicker layer will be on top. So then with the other pippete (or just clean properly the one you were using with something like pure acetone or alcohol), accurately pull out the solvent layer out. Just get all you are sure you can cleanly pull.. The last bit, just pour back into main container, and do the next pull... This way only the last last little bit of the last pull will be 'wasted', which will have an insignificant amount of dmt, considering you do like 4 pulls or something

manyc
#4 Posted : 3/6/2009 8:43:28 PM
Manyc

I'll probably just use a glass bowl since I think I'll only be doing 1 or 2 extractions at this period of my life... I'm just awaiting my NaOH, it will be here in the next few days.

I cannot fuckin wait. Shocked
Hemp can save the World.

Know Thyself.

manyc
#5 Posted : 3/9/2009 9:34:32 PM
Manyc

Actually... I'm just going to use one of the 3 L glass wine jugs I have laying around. I think rotating it end-over-end is more effective than just stirring with a spoon, because the naphtha tends to separate so ridiculously fast.

Tomorrow is the day.

I'm having dreams about it. Smile
Hemp can save the World.

Know Thyself.