We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Low Yields on several year old MHRB root? dmt n oxide from bark? Options

dropofahat
#1 Posted : 12/17/2012 2:18:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

MHRb root bark is is + 3 years old (when I received it) and has been stored cool/dry location or in a refrigerator for that time period. I had great yields of clean goodness at +1.2% and up on my first extractions.

It has been probably +1 1/2 - 2 years since my last extraction (low yields as well then) and I am looking at about .7% and .8% as of 6 pulls of white yellow and yellow/w some jimjam type material. As i had stated before, I had similar low results last time I extracted but didn't have an idea, just thought it was cause of old bark, etc. But after looking at the dmt n oxide thread here I've realized that I may have alot of dmt n oxide in the STB solution right now, it fits all the signs I think, yellow dmt, low crystallization, last pull was alot of yellow resin and some some jim/jam.

Ive got about 200 grams of material on a standard STB with naptha pulls, I've gone over 69rons thread on the zinc dmt n oxide, etc but I wanted to know is there any way to pull the NNdmt out of the stb solution as it stands right now?

I know that they said that it isn't as soluble in naptha, and dcm may work better, but I'm wondering if I can pull it out with IPA (91%) or something else in the same way I was using naptha? would make it alot easier

I may have missed something or be off base here, I've done a search and looked over the below thread, let me know if I'm missing something. Thanks

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Dr_Sister
#2 Posted : 12/17/2012 4:25:47 PM

Synaptic cleft explorer

Chemical expert | Skills: Chemistry, Horticulture, Yoga, Meditation, Graphic/web design, MarketingSenior Member | Skills: Chemistry, Horticulture, Yoga, Meditation, Graphic/web design, Marketing

If you check out this chart:
http://www.erowid.org/ar.../solvent.miscibility.pdf

You will see that water and IPA are miscible. Therefore IPA will make a very poor extraction solvent for your STB. There are a couple tricks one can use to force IPA into its own layer, like completely saturating your aqueous layer with NaCl. This definitely works with EtOH and may with IPA. But I haven't triied it with IPA.

A better bet would be to use a solvent that is non-polar (but more polar than naptha) that is not miscible with water. Have a look at this chart:
http://www.chemical-ecology.net/java/solvents.htm

Methyl ethyl ketone might work, as might ethyl acetate or ether and possibly DCM. Bear in mind that these solvents are all less selective than Naptha and will also pull a lot of other stuff with them. This is one reason why the A/B route which allows one to defat the acidic solution before making it basic will give cleaner yeilds.

Hope this helps

dropofahat
#3 Posted : 12/17/2012 6:28:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

thanks for the info, Im a little wary using some of the methyls and other solvents as I am unsure of how to procure some of those locally.

I'm wondering if I just go straight to a xylene pull to get out that nn dmt oxide that I think is sitting in there.

Jin
#4 Posted : 12/18/2012 1:44:41 PM

yes

yes xylene seems like a good idea , also if you can get some limonene
illusions !, there are no illusions
there is only that which is the truth

dropofahat
#5 Posted : 12/19/2012 1:55:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

yes, xylene will be the next step, I am going to try and "salt" tek with about 100gs and see if I can get some nice yields.

suprisingly i put together two more pulls and got some yellow crystals, fluffy spongies of about 350 mgs, brings my total to about 2000 mgs, so Im not doing to bad now, just didn't get the full snowglobes at first, even after evap.

any easy or local suppliers for limonene? or is ordering the only way? thanks