We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Need help defining my religious views Options

realmsundiscovered
#1 Posted : 12/9/2012 9:55:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have been looking all over the internet to find a name of a religion that I could tell people that fits my belief system. I believe that A Great Creator created the universe all the stars, plants, and us. The plants He put here for us to use either for nourishment, medicinally, or to commune with Him. All His creations must be held in highest reverence and respected. I see that He gives us the knowledge to learn how to use these plants appropriately.

I use entheogenic plants to commune with the spiritual world and this attracts a certain amount of critisism. I know that my beliefs are very native americanistic but not exactly the same either. I've found animism and shamamism in some contexts meet my beliefs but there are many more educated nexians in the subject on here and thats why Im asking.
Any comments will be greatly apprieciated.

Plus these arent all my beliefs but that is the main ones that I would choose define my religion.
Reality is nothing more than you make it. So use your mind and recreate it.

Doing better than the majority
Don't always bring you prosperity
You have to submit yoursel to conformity
To make it in this Society

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Non Dua Natura
#2 Posted : 12/9/2012 10:10:53 PM

Namo Amitaba Buddha

Take pleasure in that undefined belief system as being your own personal model of the universe, you don't need to label it according to the maps designed by another. Enjoy the freedom to believe and think as you choose, not according to the dictates and dogma of any organized group.
When it blows, it stacks...

realmsundiscovered
#3 Posted : 12/9/2012 10:23:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ive thought that before too. Thats a wise piece of advice though Non Dua Natura. I suppose that religion in itself takes away from an individuals own beliefs and forces you to confine yours to that doctrine of your choosing.

Cosmiclearning
#4 Posted : 12/9/2012 10:24:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I agree, this is one of the downfalls of the current dimension we live in. We are not complete free thinkers, we flow to like kind, or the closest we can find. To elevate to a higher state you must truly believe in what you and you alone find to be true, regardless of if you find a label for it. What if you're the first person to be right?...
I live in Aruba with Elvis and Makaveli. We produce sick beats all day and make up silly stories on the internet. All of my stories are fictitious, must be all the second hand pot smoke from Tupac.

Inner Paths
#5 Posted : 12/9/2012 11:41:42 PM

Secretary of the Interior

Non Dua Natura wrote:
Take pleasure in that undefined belief system as being your own personal model of the universe, you don't need to label it according to the maps designed by another. Enjoy the freedom to believe and think as you choose, not according to the dictates and dogma of any organized group.

Nicely put! This is an interesting topic. Within the last few years I have come to this exact point in my beliefs (or non-beliefs) on reality and spirituality/religion. I just can't bring myself to a definitive conclusion and I find that exhilarating!

I feel that within this mortal coil I have no exact way of knowing the absolute truth or belief of this world we inhabit called reality (maybe through deep psychedelic experience but even then it has to be filtered by the limited funnel of human perception).

Sometimes I feel that people might view this stance as a wishy-washy cop out, but I realise it is just the way I am hardwired, there is always more knowledge and truths waiting around the corner to blow apart my previous paradigms and views on reality... an ever continuing, infinite fractal of existense we call reality.
"The love I've made is the shape of my space"

universecannon
#6 Posted : 12/10/2012 12:08:22 AM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

Non Dua Natura wrote:

well said. i dont' see the point in needing arbitrary labels (i.e. words) in order to feel comfortable with ones view on reality. it can be fun though at times i guess...i think what i tend to lean towards is a kind of pandeism/animism/gnosticism i guess...but i really just don't like isms!

btw, in the OP: why is it a "He"?... or even a gender at all?

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

Rising Spirit
#7 Posted : 12/10/2012 12:10:00 AM

'Tis A Looooooong Wind Blowing Cosmic Dust

Greetings realmsundiscovered,

I also agree. It sound like you understand your own soul nature very well. One overwhelming glimpse should be enough for any person, right? So I ask if you are looking for a theology that you can easily present for the benefit of others? If so, you may end up questioning this motive, as people can be ridiculously un-accepting of any religious label or spiritualistic affinity. First please yourself and so, enlighten yourself! Big grin

When we take a very good look at any of the modern religions worldwide, they start with an initial realization by a single human being's immersion into the Godhead. This is usually had by one awakened soul and it then expands to touch millions and millions of other sympathetic souls. Sadly, along the way, the organizational types spoil everything with layers and layers of rigid dogmas, theologies, rituals (and the like).

But just think about it, the form that most world religions crystallize into, is begun with a profound epiphany by a single Avatar, Messiah, Buddha, Savior or Prophet. Zoroastrianism was certainly not begun with the Divine revelation of Zarathustra... but despite the foundations laid in prior religious thought (in Persia), it was he who blew the lid off the pot. Same goes for Rama, Krishna, Moses, Socrates, Lao Tzu, Siddhartha Gautama, Mahavira, Jesus Christ, Muhammad and Kabir.

So, often times when we find an external religious cult to identify with, we stop growing spiritually and start to solidify a conceptual paradigm to live within. But you have all of the keys within yourself to unlock the Sacred Riddle. In other words, create your own religious context. That being said, it's good to understand some of the wisdom which has already passed through the human condition, through realized humanoids and their great epiphanies recorded in the various scriptures.

Now, when you look into yourself and find the answers through direct immersion, who needs a specific clubhouse to fraternize within? It's fine for most but we are psychonauts and travel to the spirit realms, by our own volition and intention. I much prefer the open, natural spaces for my own version of church. In fact, the whole cosmos is a living temple, so why limit it to one small building, merely the symbolic home of the Sacred One? You obviously know this well.

Not that there is anything inherently wrong with Temples, churches and mosques... to the contrary, many are absolutely inspiring. But a man-made box seated within the time-space-continuum is not the home or seat of God. Surely not the true God, which is Indivisible Being.

In my own personal unfolding, I have gleaned much insight from the realization of other souls, BUT... make no mistake, Brahman/Aten/Yahweh/Ahura Mazda/Allah and God are everywhere and within everything. Or is everything within the Supreme expression? Same difference, IMO, regardless of one's concept of God. There is but one Unified Field of Being. Cool

Still, I agree with the other folks here, be less concerned with names and labels and more concerned with your own awakening. You have found the gift that this Omniverse keeps hidden within many entheogenic plants. And while I would never suggest worshiping them as a religion, it couldn't hurt either. We find our own rituals, so I do suggest that since you have already understood much from their effulgent psychedelic teachings, build your own religious context. Create your own path, as each is unique and all walks eventually lead to unification within the Grid.

Move the planets with your faith in your own vision, your own theology. True realization is a state of reflection, an emptiness and receptivity which leads towards union with the universal, the Spirit existent in all things. Yet, the causative force which is void of all known characteristics and attributes.

I believe that we each fill this void with all that we learn while we are here. Most of this filling is nonsense and illusion, granted, but the transcendental Truth gets through and shatters our fixed mentality, opening new horizon lines and dreamscapes before our awareness. Such a rush of reality dissolution stops our minds and opens passageways into new realms, heretofore unknown. Follow your heart wholly and listen to your own soul. All souls are the same, as there is but One consciousness existent, even though all personalities vary in myriad degrees.

Touch the earth, smile at the infinite sky and let your soul song echo throughout eternity! burn some sage, beat a drum, dance around a roaring campfire until dawn's early light. Be yourself and share this with all you meet. Ain't life grand? Thumbs up

"I exist... and I know not this or that... yet neither do I care. For what I see, what I believe and what I receive in understanding, is mine own Way. A Scared gift from my Creator. "

There is no self to which I cling, for I am one with everything.

edge2054
#8 Posted : 12/10/2012 1:49:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

realmsundiscovered wrote:
I have been looking all over the internet to find a name of a religion that I could tell people that fits my belief system. I believe that A Great Creator created the universe all the stars, plants, and us. The plants He put here for us to use either for nourishment, medicinally, or to commune with Him. All His creations must be held in highest reverence and respected. I see that He gives us the knowledge to learn how to use these plants appropriately.

I use entheogenic plants to commune with the spiritual world and this attracts a certain amount of critisism. I know that my beliefs are very native americanistic but not exactly the same either. I've found animism and shamamism in some contexts meet my beliefs but there are many more educated nexians in the subject on here and thats why Im asking.

Plus these arent all my beliefs but that is the main ones that I would choose define my religion.

This lines up a lot with Rastafarianism, granted there's a lot more to it than that and I'm not trying to answer your question really (I think the first replies in this thread are spot on), but rather suggesting that you might find that religion interesting to learn more about.

nen888
#9 Posted : 12/10/2012 3:37:50 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..sounds quite Gnostic to me..see Gnosticism thread here..ancient gnostics could be christian, jewish, hermetic, mandean, sethian etc..but united under a common 'belief'..

realmsundiscovered
#10 Posted : 12/10/2012 3:43:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for all the replies. I always enjoy reading others peoples takes on things.

It had just recently made me wonder what "religion" I would be considered when someone asked me what I believed in and couldnt give a word,like they expected, but rather a set of beliefs.

I'm glad that Ive posted this because I had been troubling myself with something that was unnecessary. I dont categlorize myself in any way why should I in my beliefs. I have to just follow my own beliefs and nothing more or less. Were made to think the way we do for a reason.

I labeled it "He" just to show its omnipotence over the universe and our reality. I guess "Being" could be a better description.

I have looked into Rastafarianism. My hair is longer than most womens, I have been growing my hair out for 8 years now. A lot of my friends have told me to get dreads. I like a lot of the beliefs set in by the Rastafarians. Thanks for bringing them up I will look further into it.

Metanoia
#11 Posted : 12/10/2012 7:56:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

It doesn't line up with how you described your belief system, but you might find Pantheism interesting to read about. That is the answer I give people now when they ask me "what my religion is".

http://www.pantheism.net/

Like has been said, I wouldn't say I believe only in this system of belief and nothing else. I do believe in reincarnation and karma. It's good to be diverse and not put labels on everything, even if it is our nature to do so.

#12 Posted : 12/10/2012 4:52:33 PM
DMT-Nexus member

ModeratorSenior Member

It had just recently made me wonder what "religion" I would be considered when someone asked me what I believed in and couldnt give a word,like they expected, but rather a set of beliefs.

If someone were to ask me what my 'religion' was or my set of beliefs I would just simply say "words don't even come remotely close to what I feel all this is about." What I've experienced firsthand clearly has shown me that words (even thoughts) just dissolve in the face of something such as this. It's outside the domain of human language.

I've always gravitated towards eastern thought and/or literature (The Upanishads/ Bhagavad Gita). The descriptions of humans and this reality we're in isn't described much better by anyone else imo. But even so, theyre work still falls short of 'what this is all about'.

One thing I like to say time and time again is 'Tat Tvam Asi'. Doesn't get much simpler and more eloquent imo. Just remember.. You Are That Thumbs up

JourneyToJah
#13 Posted : 12/11/2012 9:04:29 PM

Free Spirit

Just say you are a gnostic. What you believe is your belief only, you dont need to identfy it with anything or any name. Thumbs up
With these hands I have killed man and destroyed hopes and dreams. But when I open these hands I can hold my wife, make my children laugh and even aid others. It's not the path that we take but the choices that we make along that path that makes us who we are. -Waugriff

Rising Spirit
#14 Posted : 12/11/2012 10:37:58 PM

'Tis A Looooooong Wind Blowing Cosmic Dust

edge2054 wrote:
This lines up a lot with Rastafarianism, granted there's a lot more to it than that and I'm not trying to answer your question really (I think the first replies in this thread are spot on), but rather suggesting that you might find that religion interesting to learn more about.

But by strict definition, being a confirmed Rastafarian means believing to the core of your soul that Ethiopian Emperor Haile Selassie was the Messiah for this era. Period. Rastas are certain that His Imperial Majesty was not a mortal man, for he was almighty God incarnate.

Philosophically, I agree. Yet, I also feel you and I and all of our friends in this Nexian community are God incarnates, too. So is the police man who gave me a speeding ticket this Autumn, the priest at the local church in our town, the burglar who stole my bicycle and even President Obama. So, I could never ever be considered a Rastafarian.

Sure, lots of folks fly dreads, play hand drums in the woods and smoke Ganja around a bonfire. It's just beautiful. But being Rasta is a whole other level of commitment to a specific set of beliefs. I am personally grateful that Bob Marley was a Rastafarian. It fueled his creative fire and gave a profoundly inspired voice to his musical expressions.

Dioxyppus wrote:
It doesn't line up with how you described your belief system, but you might find Pantheism interesting to read about. That is the answer I give people now when they ask me "what my religion is". Like has been said, I wouldn't say I believe only in this system of belief and nothing else. I do believe in reincarnation and karma. It's good to be diverse and not put labels on everything, even if it is our nature to do so.

Pantheism is just awesome! Why get stuck with a God who resides far above and away from all he created? Many Native American cosmologies could be viewed as Pantheistic. While they do believe in a Creator, they see such a interlocked unity in all life forms, it surely suggests a kind of romantic, spiritual connection with nature, it's mind splintering beauty, ugliness and ultimate balance. Yes,l balance is key. Pantheism may well be what our friend is seeking to align with. Thanks for your offering, Dioxyppus. As always, you are a clear and insightful soul.

JourneyToJah wrote:
Just say you are a gnostic. What you believe is your belief only, you dont need to identfy it with anything or any name. Thumbs up

Well said in remarkably few words. Gnosis is the key to awakening. Therefore, we are all Gnostic to some degree or another. Who needs any other label? Now why can't I express such profundities with such succinct brevity? Very happy

There is no self to which I cling, for I am one with everything.

AlbertKLloyd
#15 Posted : 12/14/2012 5:24:08 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Deist anthropocentric teleology?

No, not deist, theist...

Theistic anthropocentrism.

That is how I would label such views.m