We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Quantitative Dragendorff reagent analysis Options

scoobee
#1 Posted : 12/9/2012 6:27:24 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I saw this video on YouTube with a recipe for a TLC reagent that sells for $1/mL.

Quote:
2 crushed Pepto-Bismols dissolved in 20mL water
Mix with 10mL hydrochloric acid until foaming stops
Filter out the solids
Dissolve 7.0g potassium iodide in a few mL of water, then add it
Bring the volume to 100mL with distilled water, allow the solid material to settle, then pour off the clear yellow-brown solution into a bottled labeled Dragendorff Reagent

Psychotria viridis alkaloids range from 0mg/g to 17mg/g (99% dmt). A single leaf should weigh around 0.1g and is capable of rooting and cloning. P. alba is also of interest at 60% potency, but a much more vigorous growth rate.

In the video, quinine can be visually measured between 0.1mg and 1.0mg. This got my wheels spinning. Would it be possible to use this method to select clones for smokable leaves?

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

benzyme
#2 Posted : 12/9/2012 6:51:53 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

chemical tests are not quantitative by any means, they only test for presence for alkaloid-reagent complexes (yes to your question). they are qualitative assays.
Colorimetric/spectrophotometric assays determine concentration based on the Beer-Lambert law, they are quantitative.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

nen888
#3 Posted : 12/10/2012 1:58:12 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

Silicotungustic acid reagent is 'very roughly' quantative..i.e. more precipitation=more alkaloid..