We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
First time liquid culture...fail? Options

somethingsintheway
#1 Posted : 11/30/2012 6:00:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello. A friend of mine shared this picture and wanted to know what the problem is. Is it that the honey carmalized on the bottom? This is second day of inoculation for him. I've read many times that contamination cannot be determined simply by looking at a liquid culture. But does anyone else have experience with this happening almost immediately. As in by the end of the cool down phase this was in there for multiple jars. All prepared in the same fashion and steam sterilized together. Any input would be appreciated.

somethingsintheway attached the following image(s):
IMAG0383.jpg (391kb) downloaded 171 time(s).

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

obliguhl
#2 Posted : 11/30/2012 10:18:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
I've read many times that contamination cannot be determined simply by looking at a liquid culture.

It cannont be determined ALL THE TIME. Sometimes you can see yello spots growing, or even some green coming to surface. All i can say is, that there is no instant contamination. Mold grows rather quickly though...

How much honey did you use? And how long did you pressure-cook it ?

somethingsintheway
#3 Posted : 11/30/2012 7:24:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

it was steam sterilized for 40 minutes and used 4% honey by weight. Looking back he didn't make sure the honey was dissolved before sterilizing it. But in regards to the picture, is what pictured resemble mycelium?

obliguhl
#4 Posted : 11/30/2012 8:15:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

To me, it kinda looks like undissolved honey. Was he using raw honey? Because i know there are some sandwhich spreads out there containing both honey and fats (to make for a more creamy breakfast experience i assume). Honey dissolves uring sterilisation or pressure cook, but who knows what else was in your friends honey?

somethingsintheway
#5 Posted : 11/30/2012 8:26:51 PM

DMT-Nexus member

He used organic honey. I read somewhere that the honey can sit on the bottom and then caramelize when the boiling starts? He doesn't think its contamination because it was at that amount before inoculation. But just wanted to be sure. Thanks all for the replies.

SnozzleBerry
#6 Posted : 11/30/2012 8:28:07 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

somethingsintheway wrote:
But in regards to the picture, is what pictured resemble mycelium?

Well, earlier you said

somethingsintheway wrote:
As in by the end of the cool down phase this was in there for multiple jars

If it was there at the end of the cool down...I'm assuming it was there prior to the inoculation, or is that incorrect? If it was there prior to inoculation, it can't be mycelium.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

somethingsintheway
#7 Posted : 11/30/2012 8:31:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes you are correct it could not be mycelium It's a first time so I am a very anxious newbie! Sorry for jumping ahead Very happy

SnozzleBerry
#8 Posted : 11/30/2012 8:35:12 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

No worries...I know how exciting a process it is and I tend to get really impatient too whenever I'm trying out something new Big grin
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

jamie
#9 Posted : 11/30/2012 9:30:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

sounds like you used honey that was not clarified? Ive tried with honey that was not clear and after sterilization all this chite crap dropped out of solution and never redissolved.
Long live the unwoke.

somethingsintheway
#10 Posted : 11/30/2012 10:13:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Did you make a succesful lc out of it?

obliguhl
#11 Posted : 12/1/2012 4:01:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Actually some people argue that honey sediment is good for mycelium because it got something to grab onto, but it looks like you got tons of that stuff on the bottom.

Orion
#12 Posted : 12/2/2012 12:52:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I've used amber organic honey many times to great success. Amber non organic never worked for me, just gave sediment.

I use a medicine vial with the aluminum part ripped off. The rubber stopper is pretty much a self sealing top. I sterilize that with foil over it, everything pretty much as per this method: http://www.shroomery.org...ber/5238137/fpart/1/vc/1

Art Van D'lay wrote:
Smoalk. It. And. See.

marz
#13 Posted : 12/5/2012 4:24:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Try this Karo syrup is commonly used in making liquid culture media Use 1 tablespoon of Karo syrup and one 1/3 tablespoon of honey to 1 cup and of water (Heat) the mixture and stir until dissolved. Pour into your vessel and pressure cook at 12 psi for 20-30 minuets.

this has worked well for me Big grin
"PSYCHEDELIC DRUGS DON'T CHANGE YOU- THEY DON'T CHANGE YOUR CHARACTER-UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE CHANGED THEY ENABLE CHANGE THEY CAN'T IMPOSE IT...."
-ALEXANDER SHULGIN

It's time to move on to the next step in the psychedelic revolution