We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV910111213NEXT»
~Phalaris = The Way Of The Future~ Options

nen888
#201 Posted : 11/14/2012 9:31:00 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

<as mentioned in one of the quotes..ancient sacred grasses..

..the rites and initiation in Ancient Greece in Eleusis, in the temple of demeter are agreed by all to centre around the family Graminaceae..which includes grain grasses like wheat, and bird-seed/animal grasses like phalaris..and to have involved secrecy and the drinking of an entheogenic potion - the Kykeon..

now, while R. Gordon Wasson. Albert Hofmann. Carl A. P. Ruck. and Richard Evans Schultes
suggested, from a few ancient references and carvings that the graminae plant was a wheat or rye (hence ergot infested) there are two major problems with this theory:

1) no one has suggested or demonstrated a way that a straight ergot based drink could be made non-toxic..the 'St. Anthony's Fire' of medieval days reflects the horror of ergot poisoning..the eleusis experience was said to have been profound and serene at points..a vision of the 'truth' of life and death..demeter's body..

2) it was forbidden under pain of death to actually reveal what the brew was or talk in detail about the ceremony..hence it is unlikely passing old references to various grains were the actual grasses..more hints..or guesses by the uninitiated..
and if we look at the actual carvings/inscriptions from the Temple of Demeter (or what's left of it..angry Roman Christians had it destroyed) there is no way anyone, not even a botanist, could be certain what grass..could be wheat, could be phalaris..we just know its Grass..

..but, as Phalaris is essentially originally native to Greece and Turkey, and spread early to Italy and North Africa..and if you boil some down like gnostic Jim De Korne and try a bit..well, you'd notice something was going on..surely in 5000 years of ancient greece somebody noticed something about Phalaris..
personally i think the ancient depictions look most like Aquatica..

Europa..gather back thy roots!

of course, we know there were a few admixture plants comprising the kykeon, and alternatives to it..Smile>
nen888 attached the following image(s):
plant carvings.jpg (13kb) downloaded 902 time(s).
Thesmophoria Ceremony.jpg (19kb) downloaded 900 time(s).
eu_well.jpg (77kb) downloaded 900 time(s).
Demeter giving a mushroom.jpg (361kb) downloaded 906 time(s).

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

nen888
#202 Posted : 11/20/2012 12:17:57 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

Livestock Health
New light shed on phalaris toxicity
Scientists have discovered how sheep and to a lesser extent cattle succumb to a polioencephalomalacia (PE)-like (nervous form) sudden death phalaris poisoning.
by Megan Broad,
for CSIRO LIVESTOCK INDUSTRIES
[Edit: now attached below]
Quote:
Researchers have found an ammonia overload is responsible for phalaris poisoning in sheep and some cattle.
Although the best option in preventing phalaris poisoning would be to breed toxin- free plants, this could take up to 10 years.
Until then, researchers advocate grazing management methods that increase an animal’s nitrogen intake gradually before being fed phalaris.
Farmers and scientists have been grappling with the effects of sudden death phalaris poisoning for more than 50 years.
Although phalaris poisoning is relatively rare, compared with annual ryegrass toxicity for example, it can inflict considerable losses on individual producers.
More importantly, the industry as a whole loses out on the productive capacity of this drought-tolerant grass as some farmers shy away from it due to potential toxicity risks.
A popular grass
Phalaris is a popular perennial grass across southern Australia.
At least 2.5 million hectares of phalaris are estimated to be grown in Australia, of which about 60 per cent is in New South Wales, 30% in Victoria, 10% in South Australia and the rest between Tasmania and Western Australia.

Quote:
• Scientists have defined and described the cause of polioencephalomalacia (PE)-like (nervous form) sudden death toxicity from phalaris.
• The analysis shows phalaris contains a compound that inhibits a ruminant’s ability to metabolise nitrogen, resulting in elevated ammonia levels in the bloodstream, which ultimately cause brain damage.
• Funding is required to identify the compound responsible for PE-like sudden death and to develop toxin-free phalaris varieties.

also, some new info (to me anyway) :

P. minor (worldwide distribution) i believe is believed by the FDA to contain tryptamine alkaloids..some tests in the 90s detected dmt..
P. paradoxa is also believed to contain tryptamines [Aus. Vet. Journal 2008]

attached images: 1) Phalaris paradoxa 2) P. paradoxa گیاهان هرز ایران in Jordan 3) Phalaris minor 'Little Seeded Canary Reed'

nen888
#203 Posted : 11/20/2012 12:48:14 AM
member for the trees

^..to clarify on the staggers finding..this means the responsible toxin will not make it to an non-polar extraction, and, in the amounts consumed in an 'huasca' type brew would not be enough to harm humans..animals graze vast amounts..

jamie
#204 Posted : 11/20/2012 2:22:34 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

thanks nen! this is great info especially your success with aquatica.

Ive been having bad luck with vendors in reguards to grasses..the australian aquatica seed I got seems to not be viable..maybe it's too old..I tried twice now to germinate some seed with no luck..and the vendor I found that was willing to send me big medicine send it without any dirt, in a shopping bag stuffed in an envelope and I received it covered in mold..there is a lack of vendors interested in phalaris in canada.

I hope more vendors start to carry legit strains and seed and some more trade forums start up.

I grew brachys over the summer but it did not put out much seed..def not enough to even grow the same ammount.
Long live the unwoke.

Ambivalent
#205 Posted : 11/20/2012 2:26:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

jamie wrote:

I grew brachys over the summer but it did not put out much seed..def not enough to even grow the same ammount.

what was the problem, do you have any clue or pointer's ? i am going to try and germinate mine in spring. i am assuming they like wet climate, becuase the patches i stumbled on were near sea. also i noticed that during the hotest days of summer brachystachy dries out.

acacian
#206 Posted : 11/20/2012 2:27:54 AM

DMT-Nexus member

yeah thanks for the great info nen.. paradoxa reminds me a lot of brachystachys. the pharlaris are quite a beautiful looking species actually. one thing I've never been able to understand is why people hate letting grass grow... it really is a lovely plant when full grown

nen888
#207 Posted : 11/20/2012 10:02:53 AM
member for the trees

..also from that report:
Quote:
Search for a toxic compound
With the science of how and why ruminants die from PE-like sudden death phalaris toxicity now at hand, the challenge is to find what compound in phalaris is toxic to ruminants.
Dr Colegate examined pastures from which animals died from PE-like sudden death. These toxic samples had large quantities of the alkaloid N-methyltyramine.
Fresh phalaris shoots after the autumn season break could prove lethal to sheep because they contain a high nitrogen load.
In an experimental trial of the toxicity of N-methyltyramine, carried out during November 2005, sheep were fed a maintenance diet and then provided with unlimited quantities of nitrogen-rich, green lucerne. This mimicked paddock conditions at times of phalaris toxicity.
No mortalities were recorded, suggesting the peracute ammonia toxicity was directly related to the consumption of phalaris but not related to the N-methyltyramine.

..Its deep-rooted system makes it an attractive grass to assist with improved water-use efficiency to help lower the watertable and reduce the impact of salinity. Phalaris also has the capacity to reduce soil acidification.
..and also "Experimental evidence tryptamine alkaloids do not cause Phalaris aquatica sudden death syndrome in sheep" Bourke C.A., Carrigan M.J., Dixon R.J.; Australian Veterinary Journal Volume 65, showed neither dmt or 5meo were implicated either..or phenethylamines or gramine for that matter..

yeah i don't get it jamie..it's so easy topropogate from live material, and selected good tryptamine (let'scall them 'low toxicity strains' ) have been known for 20 years..the extract from P. aquatic var' Australia' mentioned earlier was done in the late 90s..using vinegar, vodka boil plus lye and naphtha (almost the only time i've ever seen naphtha used!) ..it wouldn't solidify and was dribbled as a goo into an oil pipe..it was very mild on the lungs and quite meditative compared to acacia obtusifolia extracts, which could be ferocious..and harsher to take in..% was about 0.3%..from blades..i haven't had time to do a follow-up..but live plants are known at a few nurseries around the world, as well as AQ1 etc..from recollection phalaris seed is only viable for about 2-3 years..having multiple individual plants plus hand pollination increases chances of seeding and amounts..
an ag paper says of P. aquatic var. Australia:
Quote:
"Australian" was the first variety used in Australia. It was introduced to Australia in I884 from the New York State Department of Agriculture. This seed is believed to come from Italy via the United States of America.
Australian is the second most important variety established throughout Australia today. However, its significance is declining due to the breeding and release of superior varieties such as Sirosa and Sirolan.[[By 'superior' they mean low alkaloid - but as the previously quoted paper demonstrates, this was a waste of everyone's time..alkaloids were not responsible for toxicity..i might add that the suspected poisoning agent is thought to come from a parasitic organism living on the grass..]]

also from the ag world:
Quote:
ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES OF PHALARIS
The advantages of phalaris are: • most persistent and drought tolerant temperate
perennial grass species commercially available in Australia;
• productive perennial species providing good quality grazing for all types of grazing livestock (cattle, sheep, horses and goats) for 8–12 months of the year, depending on the environment and management;
• competitive robust plant recognised as one of the best pasture species for controlling and excluding many serious weeds of pastures such as serrated tussock, thistles, St John’s wort and Paterson’s curse;
• tolerant to extended periods of heavy grazing; • ease of establishment as a result of new cultivars
with improved seedling vigour; • excellent recovery after bushfires; • good regrowth following attack by plague
locusts and wingless grasshoppers; • field resistance to underground grass grub attack,
cockchafer, black beetle and Argentine stem
weevil; • good performance in poorly drained and
waterlogged soils; • excellent frost resistance and high productivity
during the winter; • very few diseases cause serious production
losses on phalaris; • excellent resistance to livestock trampling,
particularly on wet, clay soils or under irrigation; • responds quickly to autumn rainfall or irrigation. The disadvantages of phalaris are: • susceptible to competition from annual grasses
such as annual ryegrass, barley grass and vulpia
during the establishment phase; • requires good grazing management to maintain
grass-legume balance. Phalaris can dominate pastures and exclude all legumes causing a decline in pasture quality and production;
• Requires attention to grazing management throughout the year, in particular during spring to enhance the plant’s survival and vigour,
• some potential, although the incidence is very low, to induce phalaris poisoning;
• sensitive to soil acidity.

Phalaris is adapted to a wide range of soils from shallow, moderately acidic, sedimentary soils to deep, self-mulching alkaline clays.
However, phalaris grows best on deep, heavy textured soils of high fertility, or soils having received regular applications of phosphorus or sulphur fertiliser, or both, to promote good clover growth which will meet the high nitrogen requirements of phalaris.

..now i'll shut up and see what comes in..Smile

nen888
#208 Posted : 11/25/2012 11:25:07 PM
member for the trees

..while some question, others quietly work away and achieve..Wink

pdf on successful Phalaris tek by fourthripley here..

JourneyToJah
#209 Posted : 12/11/2012 8:58:11 PM

Free Spirit

Went on a trip back home to Romania, and on the way back had to travel 500km by train to get a plane back. Alongside the country I saw huge clusters of phalaris, standing tall even in the cold weather. Some elderly people told me they don't use those grasses to feed the animals anymore because they act strange and go insane Smile

It was simply beautiful Love
With these hands I have killed man and destroyed hopes and dreams. But when I open these hands I can hold my wife, make my children laugh and even aid others. It's not the path that we take but the choices that we make along that path that makes us who we are. -Waugriff

Parshvik Chintan
#210 Posted : 12/12/2012 3:11:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

nen888 wrote:
^..to clarify on the staggers finding..this means the responsible toxin will not make it to an non-polar extraction, and, in the amounts consumed in an 'huasca' type brew would not be enough to harm humans..animals graze vast amounts..

so phalaris is fair game, then?!?

i got a giant freezer bag just sitting in my fridge.. Twisted Evil

also does this mean a full-spectrum extract (q21q21 limo) would be safe? or are the other potentially harmful molecules that could make it through as well?
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

Ambivalent
#211 Posted : 12/12/2012 3:27:14 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Parshvik Chintan wrote:
nen888 wrote:

so phalaris is fair game, then?!?

i got a giant freezer bag just sitting in my fridge.. Twisted Evil

also does this mean a full-spectrum extract (q21q21 limo) would be safe? or are the other potentially harmful molecules that could make it through as well?

it means that Gramine and Hordenine, the alkaloids produced by most Phalaris species, will be present only in trace amounts in your extract if you use room temperature limonene or naphtha, and the amount of toxic alkaloids in single dose brew of Phalaris species should not harm your body.

the phalaris analysis thread started by endlessness quite a while ago contains all this info.you should have read it by now.

Parshvik Chintan
#212 Posted : 12/12/2012 3:56:55 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Ambivalent wrote:
it means that Gramine and Hordenine, the alkaloids produced by most Phalaris species, will be present only in trace amounts in your extract if you use room temperature limonene or naphtha

i thought it meant gramine and hordenine aren't the ones responsible, and that N-MethylTyramine was...

Quote:
The LD50 of gramine is 44.6 mg/ kg iv in mice and 62.9 mg/ kg iv in rats

gramine doesn't seem to be much of a concern... i don't know much about hordenine
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

Ambivalent
#213 Posted : 12/12/2012 4:14:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Gramine raises blood preasure and heart rate, imo its still an unwanted alkaloid in your extractions.why would you put extra bodyload on your jorney's.

nen888
#214 Posted : 12/12/2012 4:18:02 AM
member for the trees

^..bit rushed to give post#, but there was several pages in this thread looking at these alkaloids..
basically Gramine, Hordenine and Phenethylamines are NOT PARTICULARLY TOXIC in the amounts a human would ingest and are not likely to migrate to a d-limonine NP extraction as shown by endlessness..
by not very toxic toxic, i mean animals are fed grams and grams of the stuff before shaking..
5meoDMT is more toxic it could be argued than gramine or hordenine, physiologically..
and as for Tyramine, as i quoted in the paper on staggers on the last page, TYRAMINE (N-methyl or otherwise) DOES NOT CAUSE PHALARIS POISONING in animals..and again, is not 'acutely' toxic..

in other words.. not as much need to worry as underground here say has had as think for a few years..

Ambivalent
#215 Posted : 12/12/2012 4:19:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

what if these alkaloids come in contact with maoi. are there any thoughts on that ? or better said, are they also potentiated ?

nen888
#216 Posted : 12/12/2012 4:25:16 AM
member for the trees

^..i would be more concerned at ingesting 5meo with maois than any of the above mentioned substances..
i have ingested tyramine with maois, and, while pretty weird, didn't lead to a hypertensive crisis..
Hordenine is in reasonable amounts in peyote, which has been ingested with maois..
PEA i don't know..
but i do know that quite a few unknown phalaris brews have been drunk without reported adverse effects except either 'too strong' or lasting 24 hours!

there MAY be more toxic compounds than alkaloids in some phalaris, so obviously all caution is advised with drinking phalaris..and, without TLC or similar, one shouldn't..

but, smoking Phalaris extracts should be reasonable safe IMO (even if there's gramine in there..it was a dietary health supplement remember! there have been some underground myths on phalaris alkaloids for the past decade..

Ambivalent
#217 Posted : 12/12/2012 5:19:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

good to know this. thanks for the info nen808. i think i am quite sensitive to tryptamines. i know this from repeated experience with dmt and maoi's.

i have also worked with cactus twice, and i ingested it in raw form(dried powder). it was pedro for sure and both of the times after the experience i had very strong headache's. i was careful with my diet, and i didnt combined any maoi prior. I am almost sure that it was caused by the cocktail of alkaloids in the pedro.

Parshvik Chintan
#218 Posted : 12/13/2012 3:56:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

wait, so what causes the ammonia overload in sheep?
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

nen888
#219 Posted : 12/13/2012 4:01:06 AM
member for the trees

Parshvik Chintan wrote:

..an unknown compound which is not an alkaloid which is only in some Phalaris which is thought to come from a parasitic micro-organism or fungus living on the grass..the ammonia is ingested via diet (kilos of pasture a day!), the unknown compound causes it to build up over time..it's a long term/large amount feeding problem..
remember, there are more deaths per year from animals being poisoned by infested Rye grass than Phalaris..but i don't here many entheogen heads warning us not to eat Rye!..Smile

Parshvik Chintan
#220 Posted : 12/13/2012 4:28:07 AM

DMT-Nexus member

nen888 wrote:
Parshvik Chintan wrote:

..an unknown compound which is not an alkaloid which is only in some Phalaris which is thought to come from a parasitic micro-organism or fungus living on the grass..the ammonia is ingested via diet (kilos of pasture a day!), the unknown compound causes it to build up over time..it's a long term/large amount feeding problem..
remember, there are more deaths per year from animals being poisoned by infested Rye grass than Phalaris..but i don't here many entheogen heads warning us not to eat Rye!..Smile

so would this mean it would be safe to use as a mushroom substrate?
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

«PREV910111213NEXT»