We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Personal landfills? Options

hixidom
#1 Posted : 10/29/2012 7:09:43 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I was thinking the other day that it might save in garbage pickup costs if every property had it's own little landfill on it. The landfill would probably have to be something like 12 cubic meters and I'm guessing it would last at least a couple of years if you separate recyclables and compostables and depending on how much trash you go through normally. Would the $400/year that goes toward trash pickup cover the cost of digging a new hole? How many years would it take for a filled hole to decompose enough to be reusable? Is there some ingenuitive use for the 12 cubic meters of dirt that would be dug up every couple of years?

Just some thoughts. Maybe someone has heard of this being done before, and maybe someone can tell me why this is a bad idea if that is the case.
Every day I am thankful that I was introduced to psychedelic drugs.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

SKA
#2 Posted : 10/29/2012 1:48:24 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I think it would probably be best to stop producing so much garbage in the first place.
Packaging materials like Metal Cans can be easily recycled, using electromagnets to separate
them from non-metallic garbage easily. At least, if ferromagnetic cans are concerned. They should
really stop making Alluminium cans and make cans of a limited supply ferromagnetic Metals only,
constantly recycling this metal to make new cans. You do this by giving people money when they
return empty metal food/soda-cans, as is presently common with plastic soda bottles.
Then Alluminium could be put to more durable, less disposable use (like Aviation, Lightweight
constructions, Tents, Roofing structures, Cups, Plaits, Ships & Whatnot)

We could probably cut back on the production of packaging plastics alot. If more bio-degradable
packaging was used this wouldn't cost that much time to degrade & it would do no enviromental harm.
The plastic that is currently in circulation could be put to more durable, less disposable use.
(Tupperware, Lamp shades, Housing of electronic devices, Greenhouse sheet-material & Whatnot...)

Organic waste like Sewage, Livestock droppings, Food-left-overs & Crop left-overs can just be used
to make Fertilisers for our crops. Methane gas, for use as Fuel & in Chemistry, could also be produced
from these Organic waste sludges.
This type of waste isn't waste really, it's gold. Really nasty, smelly gold.

Other Organic materials, like the leftover stems of harvested Grain, Corn & Hemp crops, could be used
to make paper, rope & cloth. The fibres of these materials are perfect for making clothing, rugs, curtains,
ropes, paper & cardboard. Fibrous material is also not to be considered "waste".

Other than that, we only have the waste-products of Cumbustion-engines, Which is mostly CO & CO2 gas.
And maybe some other gases? Anyone? Well I've been pondering this problem for quite a while and it made
me wonder: Would it not be possible to make Carbon filters that Filter out 100% of the CO & CO2 in the
exhaust fumes? So that, once comming out of the Carbon Filter, the Exhaust fume will only be warm air?
I imagine this to be well possible and such a filter to perhaps look somewhat like a big Bong.

The only thing I have against using Methane (from organic waste) as a fuel for a power-generator is the
waste-gases it produces, but if such a filter as I described can be made this would be no problem.
I bet the CO & CO2 molecules could be put to some good uses too. SO once again there'll be no waste.

bobinda
#3 Posted : 11/17/2012 9:49:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

hixidom wrote:
I was thinking the other day that it might save in garbage pickup costs if every property had it's own little landfill on it. The landfill would probably have to be something like 12 cubic meters and I'm guessing it would last at least a couple of years if you separate recyclables and compostables and depending on how much trash you go through normally. Would the $400/year that goes toward trash pickup cover the cost of digging a new hole? How many years would it take for a filled hole to decompose enough to be reusable? Is there some ingenuitive use for the 12 cubic meters of dirt that would be dug up every couple of years?

Just some thoughts. Maybe someone has heard of this being done before, and maybe someone can tell me why this is a bad idea if that is the case.

Woah, that could get out of hand. Where we are at, people burn their trash in gross burn barrels. All of the cans and the melted plastic that is left get buried. All because they either can't afford or don't want to pay $20 per month for trash service. So in effect, they already have their own landfills.

Got to encourage stores to depackage many of their items. Up to recently, trader joes was packaging every damn apple in its own plastic apple cage. last time I was there they had stopped doing it so badly.