We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Celastrus Paniculatus Options

LeftEyeOfHorus
#1 Posted : 9/29/2011 4:47:38 PM

Hello

After reading of the " Intellect Tree" I have become very interested in trying it.

About five years ago I was beaten unconscious with a brick. Shortly after the injuries healed I sat my exams, my memory was merely pathetic and simple math became an ordeal.

A few years on, I still feel mild negative effecs on my memory and brain activity.

I am hoping this tree of intellect will hand me down a ladder, that I can climb up and out of this apathy.

The question I have is:

Considering the effect that Celastrus has on the NE, DA and 5HT in the brain.

Is it safe to consume MAOI`s whilst using Celastrus, also, any DMT containing plants?

Any views welcome

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

rjb
#2 Posted : 9/29/2011 7:42:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I wanted to express my compassion in regards to your incident. I'm glad that you are somewhat better nowadays, and I wanted to thank you for sharing info about this plant. I've never heard of it before, but I'm currently on the path of discovering sacred plants and their use (especially in shamanic practices, because it seems to me that they always knew what they were doing, and they were waaaay more efficient comparing to some of the health clinics in today's RL - at least in my country and the surroundings). And also, they are using PLANTS, which IMO are waaaay better than synthetic drugs. I can say that this is a gem to my mind's library :-)

I don't know very much about MAOIs, so I can't help you in that direction. For that I am sorry.

However, you can check out a HUGE list of popular DMT-containing plants in here: http://en.wikipedia.org/...delic_plants#Tryptamines

LE: almost forgot. You should check this out, too: http://www.neurosoup.com/plants_containing_dmt.htm

Nature has it all, heh? Smile
The truth...lies within.

Hyperspace Fool
#3 Posted : 9/29/2011 8:53:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Celastrus is amazing. At least the equal of any synthetic nootropics I have tried. There is at least one thread about those lovely seeds already up here on the Nexus. https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=25172

I wouldn't combine it with an MAOI. There is some danger that such a combination could lead to Serotonin Syndrome. I would avoid prescription SSRIs as well. (though, those things should be avoided anyway)

I am sketched about mixing many things, even things that others say are no problem, with MAOIs... even the RIMAs that are the likely admixture plants around here. Having experienced pronounced discomfort from tiny amounts of caffeine (single sip of coffee), and terrible headaches from tarragon... better safe than sorry IMO.

Anyway, I hope Celastrus aids you in your recovery. You can boost the effects by combining with phosphtidyl serine, choline, inositol etc. But I can say from experience that even a half dozen seeds is a noticeable boost.

Sorry to hear about your being beaten, BTW... that sounds seriously rough. I hope things are less dramatic for you from here on out.
"Curiouser and curiouser..." ~ Alice

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." ~ Buddha

bill
#4 Posted : 9/29/2011 10:19:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

(sorry to hijack your thread, but the question is kinda close)
Do any of you know if mixing Celastrus Paniculatus with other noortropics is worth it/safe? i.e. stacking on top of a piracetam + choline regime.

Hyperspace Fool
#5 Posted : 9/29/2011 10:52:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

bill wrote:
(sorry to hijack your thread, but the question is kinda close)
Do any of you know if mixing Celastrus Paniculatus with other noortropics is worth it/safe? i.e. stacking on top of a piracetam + choline regime.

Should be okay. I have done it a number of times, without adverse reaction.

Still, it would behoove you to understand the early warning symptoms of neurotoxicity syndromes and keep vigilant.

Personally, I advise against taking anything every single day.

Furthermore, mixing nootropics with serotonin precursors like melatonin and 5htp, and then throwing in something like MDMA could be asking for trouble. Add an SSRI or MAOI, and you are very likely to experience Serotonin Syndrome.

"Curiouser and curiouser..." ~ Alice

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." ~ Buddha

LeftEyeOfHorus
#6 Posted : 10/2/2011 8:53:16 PM

Hello

Thanks for expressing your concerns RJP, always good to learn of a new plant :-)

Hyperspace fool, thanks for the information, I had a feeling their could be negative effects just werent 100% sure.

Yeah seretonin syndrome doesnt sound best.

Sorry took me a while to reply, ironically, I forgot making the post.

Anyway, thanks for the replies.

Thankyou

The Neural
#7 Posted : 11/14/2012 8:20:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I sympathise with the posters on the subject of poor memory (especially short-term and difficulty in consolidating information, not to mention sustained attention), since I feel that mine is going downhill as well. I researched Celastrus seeds quite a bit, and I would like to offer my 2c.

The compounds in the seeds actually cause inhibition of Acetylcholinesterase, which is used to metabolise Acetylcholine. So by default, by consuming a certain amount, we can increase the amount of acetylcholine in our central and peripheral nervous system. Acetylcholine is involved in sustaining attention and memory processes, but that's not all. It is a major motor system neurotransmitter, which means that it is used for muscle contraction and relaxation.

The weird thing about its action, is that it increases muscle contraction in the peripheral system (limbs), but reduces the muscle contractions of heart tissue. As a result, it lowers heart rate.

We do not know the proper dosage to avoid any adverse complications, so we are advised to not experiment recklessly with a large (or unusually large) amount.

To quote wikipedia (I know, it's without citation, but it encapsulates the warning nicely) : "Certain neurotoxins work by inhibiting acetylcholinesterase, thus leading to excess acetylcholine at the neuromuscular junction, causing paralysis of the muscles needed for breathing and stopping the beating of the heart."

Certainly, increasing acetylcholine by a small amount is even regarded beneficial for a variety of neurodegenerative diseases that affect the motor system and/or memory. But just to be safe, it may be detrimental to our health to experiment with high doses of Celastrus seeds, at least until further research is conducted on their composition and pharmacokinetics.

P.S. for those who desire a boost of sustainable attention, I recommend trying a 30mg tablet of Ginkgo Biloba extract every morning. Good (and safe) boost of norepinephrine (works for some people).

What you don't understand, you can make mean anything. - Chuck P.

Disclaimer and clarification: This member has been having brief intermittent spells of inattention. It looks as if he is daydreaming in place. During those distracting moments, he automatically generates fictional content, and asks about it in this forum for feedback. He has a lot of questions, and is a pain in the arse.

nexalizer
#8 Posted : 2/11/2013 2:23:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The Neural wrote:
I sympathise with the posters on the subject of poor memory (especially short-term and difficulty in consolidating information, not to mention sustained attention), since I feel that mine is going downhill as well. I researched Celastrus seeds quite a bit, and I would like to offer my 2c.

The compounds in the seeds actually cause inhibition of Acetylcholinesterase, which is used to metabolise Acetylcholine. So by default, by consuming a certain amount, we can increase the amount of acetylcholine in our central and peripheral nervous system. Acetylcholine is involved in sustaining attention and memory processes, but that's not all. It is a major motor system neurotransmitter, which means that it is used for muscle contraction and relaxation.

The weird thing about its action, is that it increases muscle contraction in the peripheral system (limbs), but reduces the muscle contractions of heart tissue. As a result, it lowers heart rate.

We do not know the proper dosage to avoid any adverse complications, so we are advised to not experiment recklessly with a large (or unusually large) amount.

To quote wikipedia (I know, it's without citation, but it encapsulates the warning nicely) : "Certain neurotoxins work by inhibiting acetylcholinesterase, thus leading to excess acetylcholine at the neuromuscular junction, causing paralysis of the muscles needed for breathing and stopping the beating of the heart."

Certainly, increasing acetylcholine by a small amount is even regarded beneficial for a variety of neurodegenerative diseases that affect the motor system and/or memory. But just to be safe, it may be detrimental to our health to experiment with high doses of Celastrus seeds, at least until further research is conducted on their composition and pharmacokinetics.

P.S. for those who desire a boost of sustainable attention, I recommend trying a 30mg tablet of Ginkgo Biloba extract every morning. Good (and safe) boost of norepinephrine (works for some people).

It might just be suggestion and it was a long time ago, but when I first read about this and unsatisfied with 0 perceived effects, I took a larger (x2-3) dose and do remember feeling my heart beating noticeably slower, but also with more force. Could see it beating in my chest, slow and determined.
This is the time to really find out who you are and enjoy every moment you have. Take advantage of it.

The Neural
#9 Posted : 2/11/2013 6:50:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

nexalizer wrote:
It might just be suggestion and it was a long time ago, but when I first read about this and unsatisfied with 0 perceived effects, I took a larger (x2-3) dose and do remember feeling my heart beating noticeably slower, but also with more force. Could see it beating in my chest, slow and determined.

Makes sense, do you remember the approximate dosage?

Disclaimer and clarification: This member has been having brief intermittent spells of inattention. It looks as if he is daydreaming in place. During those distracting moments, he automatically generates fictional content, and asks about it in this forum for feedback. He has a lot of questions, and is a pain in the arse.

nexalizer
#10 Posted : 2/11/2013 9:52:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The Neural wrote:
nexalizer wrote:

afair, roughly twice what would fit here.

I don't remember feeling bad or anything, but the memory of the heartbeat becoming slower and more forceful remained. It did not however seem to have any of the desired nootropic effects.
This is the time to really find out who you are and enjoy every moment you have. Take advantage of it.

The Neural
#11 Posted : 2/12/2013 12:40:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

nexalizer wrote:
The Neural wrote:
nexalizer wrote:

afair, roughly twice what would fit here.

I don't remember feeling bad or anything, but the memory of the heartbeat becoming slower and more forceful remained. It did not however seem to have any of the desired nootropic effects.

Was that extract, or seeds? (must have been seeds, because if it was extract then that would have been an incredibly high dosage and could have potentially caused really uncomfortable effects -if not dangerous-)

infinitynlove
#12 Posted : 2/12/2013 4:59:56 PM

Mushroom Explorer

LeftEyeOfHorus wrote:
After reading of the " Intellect Tree" I have become very interested in trying it.

About five years ago I was beaten unconscious with a brick. Shortly after the injuries healed I sat my exams, my memory was merely pathetic and simple math became an ordeal.

A few years on, I still feel mild negative effecs on my memory and brain activity.

I am hoping this tree of intellect will hand me down a ladder, that I can climb up and out of this apathy.

The question I have is:

Considering the effect that Celastrus has on the NE, DA and 5HT in the brain.

Is it safe to consume MAOI`s whilst using Celastrus, also, any DMT containing plants?

Any views welcome

Hi!

I sympathize with your predicament!

I was beaten senseless many years back, fractured eye socket, broken nose hand 2 ribs... I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, luckily I didn't suffer any memory or known brain damage from it.

but it mentally and emotionally scared me for several years!

hoping you make a full recovery and are able to sample this amazing substance!

Peace
I am certifiably insane, as such all posts written by me should be regarded as utter nonsense or attempts to get attention in fact everything I write here is a lie !

I hope in some way, my posts and replies may of helped you, I hope you like what I have said here if not feel free to send me a none flame PM

nexalizer
#13 Posted : 2/20/2013 2:31:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The Neural wrote:

Was that extract, or seeds? (must have been seeds, because if it was extract then that would have been an incredibly high dosage and could have potentially caused really uncomfortable effects -if not dangerous-)

Seeds, indeed.

wildcraft
#14 Posted : 7/1/2013 2:26:05 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Alright - I've been doing some research on celastrus paniculatus (Intellect Tree), which may have just become a new favorite herb of mine. In ayurvedic medicine, the oil of the seed is used - by students for concentration and enhanced memory, in older folk for memory loss, for marijuana smokers, also memory loss. The seeds contain fatty acids, the whole plant has been reported to contain yellow waxy oil, steroids/terpenoids, flavonoids, tannins upon preliminary phytochemical screening. Leaves contain stilbenes (piceid, reveratrol, viniferin, ampelopsin). Stem, leaves, roots are reported to possess hydrocyanic acid, delphinidin and several flavonoids such as cyanidin is reported in the leaves. This plant also contains kaempferol, myricetin, quercetin, triterpenes and epifriedelanol. Constituents Celastrine, paniculatin among other active alkaloids are what is most studied. It also a profound dream enhancer, as I've be finding, if taken about an hour before bed.

In experimental studies the effect of Celastrus oil, on learning and memory in a two-compartment passive avoidance task was studied in rats. The effects on the contents of norephinephrine (NE), dopamine (DA) and serotonin(5-HT) in the brain and on the levels of their metabolites both in the brain and urine were also assessed.

Significant improvement was observed in the retention ability of the drug-treated rats compared with the saline administered controls. The contents of NE, DA and 5-HT and their metabolites in the brain were significantly decreased in the drug treated group. These studies clearly indicate that Celastrus oil causes an overall decrease in the turnover of key chemicals that directly affect learning and memory.

There is ongoing research into the possibility that anticancer drugs like pristimerin, which is derived from the seeds of the Celastrus plant, may be an effect means of treating certain types of cancers, or to inhibit the growth of specific types of cancer cells. Research conducted by H. Yang et.al. has shown pristimerin to be quite active against nine cancer cell lines. Although much more research still needs to be done, the potential health benefits of Celastrus seed oil looks very promising.

Nalini, K; Karanth, K.S; Rao, A; Aroor, A.R. (1995). Effects of Celastrus paniculatus on passive avoidance performance and biogenic amine turnover in albino rats. Journal of Ethnopharmacology. 101-8.
Russo, A; Izzo, A.A; Cardile, V; Borrelli, F; Vanella, A. (2001). Indian medicinal plants as antiradicals and DNA cleavage protectors. Phytomedicine. 125-32.
Zhixiang, Z; Funston A. (200Cool. CELASTRUS Linnaeus. China 11: 466–474.

What really intrigued me about celastrus is that it increases levels of ACETYLCHOLINE in the brain. Acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter crucial in forming and recalling memories, and many herbal memory enhancers, such as brahmi and celastrus seed, may work in part by prolonging the presence of acetylcholine in the brain. Many physicians have suggested that acetylcholine-boosting medications may also be effective in treating mild cognitive impairment (MCI) a less serious form of age-related memory degeneration.

It gets better.

The classic fast excitatory neurotransmitter of the peripheral nervous system, acetylcholine (ACh), is found in a mirror symmetric pair of amacrine cells in the vertebrate retina. In the rabbit such cells have been named starburst cell (Famiglieti, 1983; Masland and Tauchi, 1986). One of the mirror pair occurs in the amacrine cell layer with dendrites in sublamina a (OFF sublamina of the IPL). The other of the pair has its cell body displaced to the ganglion cell layer and its dendrites stratify in sublamina b (ON sublamina of the IPL).

These ACh containing amacrine cells are common to almost all vertebrate retinas and have been described morphologically in human retina too (Hutchins and Hollyfield, 1987; Kolb et al., 1992) (see previous chapter on amacrine cells). ACh starburst amacrine cells co-localize GABA (Vaney and Young, 198Cool. Both muscarinic and nicotinic receptors have been demonstrated in the mammalian retina, particularly associated with transient phasic ganglion cells (Y cells) (Keyser et al., 1989; Hughes, 1991) and directionally selective ganglion cells (Grzywacz et al., 1998; Strang et al., 2007). Apparently starburst amacrine cells are excitatory with ACh release early in development of the retina and this release is necessary for development of retinal waves. Later in development the starburst cells use inhibitory GABA release to influence directional selectivity in the DS ganglion cells (Zheng et al., 2004; Masland, 2005).

http://webvision.med.uta...nsmitters-in-the-retina/

Interesting - Acetylcholine acts on two vastly different classes of receptors - nicotinic receptors(tobacco) (with two subtypes, one at the neuromuscular junction of skeletal muscle, the other within ganglia and the CNS), and muscarinic receptors(muscarine from "poisonous mushrooms"Pleased (widely distributed within both peripheral and central nervous systems). Muscarinic receptors originally were distinguished from nicotinic receptors by the selectivity of the agonists muscarine and nicotine respectively. Check out the similarities in structure for all three of these compounds.

Wikipedia can sometimes to helpful -
One well-supported function of acetylcholine (ACh) in cortex is increased responsiveness to sensory stimuli, a form of attention. Phasic increases of ACh during visual,[16] auditory [17] and somatosensory [18] stimulus presentations have been found to increase the firing rate of neurons in the corresponding primary sensory cortices. When cholinergic neurons in the basal forebrain are lesioned, animals' ability to detect visual signals was robustly and persistently impaired.[19] In that same study, animals' ability to correctly reject non-target trials was not impaired, further supporting the interpretation that phasic ACh facilitates responsiveness to stimuli. Looking at ACh's effect on thalamocortical connections, a known pathway of sensory information, in vitro application of cholinergic agonist carbachol to mouse auditory cortex enhanced thalamocortical activity.[20] In addition, Gil et al. (1997) applied a different cholinergic agonist, nicotine, and found that activity was enhanced at thalamocortical synapses.[21] This finding provides further evidence for a facilitative role of ACh in transmission of sensory information from the thalamus to selective regions of cortex.

Also - Have you heard of piracetum? According to the producers - Piracetam improves the functioning of the (ACh) transmitters and receptors. Acetylcholine, abbreviated as (ACh), is implicated in memory processes and development. Choline sources, like Alpha GPC and choline bitartrate, increase the production of Acetylcholine. Piracetam as a synergistic supplement stimulates, increases, and improves the functions these ACh receptors. Not only is ACh implicated in memory processes, the chemical compound is a neurotransmitter in both the peripheral nervous system (PNS) and central nervous system (CNS) in many organisms including humans.

Read more http://smartdrugsforthought.com/what-is-piracetam
With my preliminary research, my hypothesis is that this is also part of how the Celastrus functions as a nootropic, in the Ach realm at least

That's all the time I have now, and I have to do more research, but preliminary self-study seem to express a much higher threshold of attention and concentration. I have also been finding my vision to be sharper and sometimes even "glowy".

P.s. I am 120 lbs, and have taken between 7 and 30 seeds. 15 to 30 do the trick. Even my verbal communication has increased exponentially. If only I had a brain scanner and could do experiments on the neurochemistry myself. Pleased

Sin.naps
#15 Posted : 5/31/2019 5:38:32 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I extract 2 cups of seeds 2cups of water simmering water until only a cup of liquid left,after filtering and plant matter with normal t-shirt material not coffee filter.( the oil just needs to be free of seeds )
Then freeze until mostly frozen . Turn upside down in pan ( , which melting temp is lower ,will drip out pure brown celastrus seed oil . When ice is clear color your done with it. The ice can be throw away.
This ultra potent oil placed atop smokable leaf matter of your choice .
Then you can smoke celastrus pan. And feel true effects . Amazing trip and when added to psilocybin, saliva, dmt the effect last for ever and become a new kind of psychedelic experience.
One that stays with you . I believe it accounts for neuroplastity, attain LTP , and one half my formula for Neurogenesis.