We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT»
[NEW FUNCTIONALITY] Promoting new members! Options

The Traveler
#1 Posted : 11/10/2012 6:48:56 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

Hi all DMT-Nexus members,

With the rise of many new members and the fact that it would be great if the generic DMT-Nexus population will help us out, I have created a voting system where you can vote for new members to be promoted, or not.

If you are a full member or a senior member you can now vote if a new member should be promoted or not. With every post that a new member makes you will see a "Promotion" link next to the posting time. You can click that link and then vote for YES or NO:

Once a new member collected enough votes they will automatically be promoted to full member. Moderators can still override this promotion and even put people back in to the WELCOME AREA.

I hope that you all make good judgement on who will be promoted and who does not.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Pandora
#2 Posted : 11/10/2012 6:50:34 PM

Got Naloxone?

Welcoming committeeSenior Member

Very cool feature - seems well thought out.

I, personally, will defer on voting initially for a person unless their intro essay is fantastic or a huge turnoff. I'm going to try to give them some time to write a few posts, to get a sense of them, before casting my small vote . . .
"But even if nothing lasts and everything is lost, there is still the intrinsic value of the moment. The present moment, ultimately, is more than enough, a gift of grace and unfathomable value, which our friend and lover death paints in stark relief."
-Rick Doblin, Ph.D. MAPS President, MAPS Bulletin Vol. XX, No. 1, pg. 2

Hyperspace LOVES YOU

The Traveler
#3 Posted : 11/10/2012 6:53:02 PM

"No, seriously"

Pandora wrote:
I, personally, will defer on voting initially for a person unless their intro essay is fantastic or a huge turnoff. I'm going to try to give them some time to write a few posts, to get a sense of them, before casting my small vote . . .

Indeed Pandora, it is wise to be sure about a person before you vote for them (either YES or NO).

Also, the voting weight of senior members is higher than full members.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

purple_dye
#4 Posted : 11/10/2012 6:55:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

A few questions.

-How do you feel about a "x" post minimum before voting can take place in order to prevent judgment based on minimal information?

-How many votes are needed before someone meets the criteria to become a member?

-With our fast growing community will this number be adjusted according to active members? A percentage perhaps?

-Or is the voting system just here to give the mods an idea of how everyone feels about it? Then they decide.

Overall I like the idea of letting the community help decide.

Kind Regards,
Purp
PS

This is what the alphabet would look like if Q and R were missing

zombicyckel
#5 Posted : 11/10/2012 6:55:40 PM

Armchair activist

Very good idea, I can imagine you mods are having a hardtime looking through all the new members. I will for sure help out with this

The Traveler
#6 Posted : 11/10/2012 6:59:27 PM

"No, seriously"

purple_dye wrote:
A few questions.

-How do you feel about a "x" post minimum before voting can take place in order to prevent judgment based on minimal information?

-How many votes are needed before someone meets the criteria to become a member?

-With our fast growing community will this number be adjusted according to active members? A percentage perhaps?

-Or is the voting system just here to give the mods an idea of how everyone feels about it? Then they decide.

Overall I like the idea of letting the community help decide.

Kind Regards,
Purp

Let me answer your questions:

Q: How do you feel about a "x" post minimum before voting can take place in order to prevent judgment based on minimal information?
A: Currently the minimum post count to get voted on is 1. If needed this can be adjusted in the future.

Q: How many votes are needed before someone meets the criteria to become a member?
A: Currently 3 positive votes from senior members or 9 votes from full members. Also any combo of the vote will work too.

Q: With our fast growing community will this number be adjusted according to active members? A percentage perhaps?
A: There is currently nothing in the planning for this.

Q: Or is the voting system just here to give the mods an idea of how everyone feels about it? Then they decide.
A: Once a certain limit is reached, the new member will be automatically promoted. Still, moderators can overrule any promotion.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

cyb
#7 Posted : 11/10/2012 8:00:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, CarpenterSenior Member | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, Carpenter

Just one miniscule, pedantic point Trav...
Could it say 'promotion?'...question mark.
Just for those that havn't seen this thread...Wink

Also I assume they can't promote themselves...? or they would be pushing that button all day long Smile
Please do not PM tek related questions
Reserve the right to change your mind at any given moment.

The Traveler
#8 Posted : 11/10/2012 8:04:44 PM

"No, seriously"

cyb wrote:
Just one miniscule, pedantic point Trav...
Could it say 'promotion?'...question mark.
Just for those that havn't seen this thread...Wink

Also I assume they can't promote themselves...? or they would be pushing that button all day long Smile

You are right, the text is changed to "promotion?".

And new members cannot vote at all.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

Wax
#9 Posted : 11/10/2012 11:03:13 PM

LUVR

What constitutes a "senior member"? Also I assume each person can only vote once per member?
'Little spider weaves a wispy web, stumblin' through the woods it catches to my head. She crawls behind my ear and whispers secrets. Dragonfly whiz by and sings now teach it.'

The Traveler
#10 Posted : 11/10/2012 11:35:16 PM

"No, seriously"

Wax wrote:
What constitutes a "senior member"? Also I assume each person can only vote once per member?

A senior member is a person who has been around for some time and has shown a remarkable amount of knowledge and is able to communicate that knowledge.

And yes, you can only vote once for a specific new member.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

dreamer042
#11 Posted : 11/11/2012 12:15:59 AM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

I love this idea! This is a really great way to deal with the large amount of new members and see that people are not overlooked or prematurely promoted. I really like the interactive method and the open source style that allows the community to have a say as well.

As always you go well above and beyond! Thanks Trav Thumbs up
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

SWIMfriend
#12 Posted : 11/11/2012 1:09:39 AM

DMT-Nexus member

My problem with such things is that I would NEVER vote anyone down--only up (I do vote dislikes on youtube--but only for creationist videos, LOL).

But this is very good--A good 10-20 percent of the time I see a first post, or first few posts by someone whose spirit is OBVIOUSLY in line with (what I think are) the ideal qualities to serve the Nexus mission. It would be great to have a simple way to "mark" that...

Rivea
#13 Posted : 11/11/2012 4:28:21 AM

No.. that can't be...

Senior Member | Skills: Harmalas, A/B Extraction, Sonication, Sterile Processing, Hardware design, Craftsman

I have to agree with Pandora that it would be best to read a few posts minimum from a new member before voting. I like the feature of voting Traveler!
Everything mentioned herein has been deemed by our staff of expert psychiatrists to be the delusional rantings of a madman who has been treated with Thorazine who is hospitalized within the confines of our locked facility. This patient sometimes requires the application of 6 point leather restraints and electrodes at the temples to break his delusions. Therefore, take everything mentioned above with a grain of salt...

Aegle
#14 Posted : 11/11/2012 11:51:05 AM

Cloud Whisperer

Senior Member | Skills: South African botanicals, Mushroom cultivator, Changa enthusiast, Permaculture, Counselling, Photography, Writing

The Traveler

Such a lovely idea, This will really go a long way in making sure members that really deserve to be promoted will become full members.

Much Peace and Respect
The Nexus Art Gallery | The Nexian | DMT Nexus Research | The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

The fate of our times is characterised by rationalisation and intellectualisation and, above all, by the disenchantment of the world.

Following a Path of Compassion and Heart

oden
#15 Posted : 11/11/2012 4:17:10 PM

odin the one

all i can think of is, does anyone remember MISS RIGHT?
Be careful<3 That woman still haunts my head..lol

wearepeople
#16 Posted : 11/11/2012 4:38:00 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The Traveler,

I love this idea.

The only person that I've thought about emailing you for promotion about is Severance. He wrote a super-duper-positive post on a topic of mine and his intro essay was very thoughtful. I was amazed by his grace, tact and inspiring words. The senior members were quick to see this as well; He was promoted very quickly.

Anyway, I like the idea of voting for full membership. YAY!

Peace, Love & Hugs,
wearepeople
+ ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- DMT Nexus Research ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- + ---- +

d*l*b
#17 Posted : 11/12/2012 2:41:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

This is an excellent addition, I have used it already! Hopefully this will push new members to thinking about quality rather than quantity in their posts. I do agree with others that having a minimum number of posts before members can be given the thumbs up may be a good extra though.
D × V × F > R

DoingKermit
#18 Posted : 11/12/2012 3:45:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Great idea!

My only worry is that people may start to abuse it- promoting people after 1 post, for example. Other than that, this is a great step forward and will make it so much easier to promote people who may have otherwise gone unnoticed.

MelCat
#19 Posted : 11/12/2012 10:19:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hmmm... No promotion buttons showing up on my end for any new members. Weird..
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

MelCat
#20 Posted : 11/12/2012 11:13:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Seems to be working now, thanks Trav! Very happy
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

123NEXT»