We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT
Driving under the influence of cannabis - Split off from We have legal cannabis thread Options

MelCat
#1 Posted : 11/8/2012 9:24:08 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
I would just like to make it clear from the start that I do not condone driving while intoxicated. There are some people who happen to drive a little safer after smoking small amounts of cannabis and I happen to be one of those people. I am a daily smoker and have quite a high tolerance so I never really get "stoned" anymore. If you choose to drive after smoking cannabis, make sure you know yourself, your limits and how you'll respond if an accident did happen. Be responsible for your own actions and never put anyone else in danger.

Something to keep in mind is while these new laws restore some of our civil liberties, they will also work against us as they come up with new ways to profit off of it.

http://www.thenewstribun...t-use-in-washington.html

Quote:
The [new DUI] provisions take effect Dec. 6, the same as the possession provision. The new law sets a threshold for marijuana intoxication similar to the 0.08 cutoff for alcohol, except it requires a blood test.

If your blood contains more than 5 nanograms of active TCH per milliliter, you’ll be guilty of DUI. Police will need to have probable cause that you’re impaired before requiring a test.

https://en.wikipedia.org...ashington_Initiative_502

Quote:
Part V on "driving under the influence of marijuana" sets a per se DUI limit of active blood THC levels at greater than or equal to 5 nanograms per milliliter. Some medical cannabis advocates are concerned that this will lead to DUI convictions for medicinal cannabis users, who are driving with blood THC levels greater than or equal to 5 nanograms per milliliter.[14]

Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

zombicyckel
#2 Posted : 11/8/2012 9:42:55 PM

Armchair activist

Those driving under the influence laws are good, maybe not to the smoker. but because of the safety of others

MelCat
#3 Posted : 11/8/2012 9:53:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I drive better when I'm high. I'm way less aggressive and more cautious. I know not everyone is like that and I don't drive on any other substances. That's something that varies greatly depending on the individual and I don't believe that a set ratio for everyone is the correct way to go about it.

It's the same "one size fits all" approach they take with our education system. It's a joke to say the least.

a1pha
#4 Posted : 11/8/2012 9:57:01 PM
⨀

Moderator | Skills: Master hacker!

MelCat wrote:
I drive better when I'm high. I'm way less aggressive and more cautious.

I believe this has even been proven by study. It will be interesting to see how it plays out...

http://www.prweb.com/rel...b2012/4/prweb9375729.htm
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -A.Huxley

MelCat
#5 Posted : 11/8/2012 9:59:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

That's awesome a1pha, thanks for sharing.

zombicyckel
#6 Posted : 11/8/2012 10:11:23 PM

Armchair activist

BOY im I glad, you guys have no idea what impact it had on the swedish people. I underestimated the intelligens from the folks here. Sweden is like nazi zero tolerance country.

This debate is on a family forum for parents, I was shocked to find these responeses. I had it translated by google to english

http://translate.google....7443085.html&act=url

THIS is what I am talking about. This is what you all in USA are paying the way for. Most parents in that forum seem to think decrim is a good idea. This debate and forward thinking would NOT be possible if Washinton/colorado had legalized it

And about driving while high is a dumb idea to the extreme. I know I can drive when I have smoked some cannabis. but I know for a fact I am slower to react, and that little is the diffrence between life and death in trafic. Paranoia and stess is a good thing in trafic

spinCycle
#7 Posted : 11/8/2012 10:56:37 PM

Life is Art is Life

Impairment based testing for reaction times, etc. is the only fair way to deal with the DUI issue. Because they only test for metabolites that remain in the blood long after one is no longer high blood levels don't measure impairment. Tolerances in a heavy user also affect their ability to function with high blood levels.

Heavy smokers, medical patients with sever pain management issues and edibles users are likely to be over the 5 ng limit and be perfectly straight and competent drivers.

Are we going to have cops drawing blood on the side of the road?
Images of broken light,
Which dance before me like a million eyes,
They call me on and on...

Tokapelli
#8 Posted : 11/8/2012 11:05:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

simple solution: dont drive! lol. if i had to choose between smokin and drivin id choose smokin any day, we could all use the exercise anyway.

zombicyckel
#9 Posted : 11/8/2012 11:06:35 PM

Armchair activist

I would not trust an experienced smoker in the traffic, its just stupid. plain and simple. and those who do it, I feel bad for their victims if they are ever in an accident. The day after would be fine though, or like 6 hours after smoking. but less then that would be harmful for others

toka: indeed, dont drive Razz

Tokapelli
#10 Posted : 11/8/2012 11:24:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

lol, i always smoke and drive. a cup of coffe effects me more than a bowl of herb, trust me im no danger to society. yes maybe my reaction time is a fraction of a second slower, but im driving exponentially slower anyway so i think that makes up for it lol.
I can garuntee you beyond a shadow of a doubt that cell phone usage is a way bigger danger to society than stoned drivers. But hey like i said, i just wont drive anymore. Ill just get a little donkey and ride him around, cheaper than gas probably, i wonder if you could get a rwi, riding while intoxicated?

zombicyckel
#11 Posted : 11/8/2012 11:38:06 PM

Armchair activist

Well if the day ever came where you drove over a child, I think that reasoning wouldnt really help. But since you dont anymore, thats great!

Like this guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lftDWfhjXCY

do you think the traffic would be safer with him. He is a daily smoker to the extreme. maybe abit extreme option for proving my point Razz He would be waaay to relaxed for driving in traffic.

A couple of hours after is by far the best way if one are going to drive

spinCycle
#12 Posted : 11/8/2012 11:42:26 PM

Life is Art is Life

States with medical marijuana have 9% less traffic fatalities

Quote:
One key factor is the reduction in alcohol consumption. The study finds that there is a direct correlation between the use of marijuana and a reduction in beer sales, especially in the younger folks aged 20-29.

Quote:
The study also finds that marijuana has the inverse effect that alcohol does on drivers. Drivers under the influence of alcohol tend to make rash decisions and risky moves, whereas those under the influence of marijuana tend to slow down, make safer choices, and increase following distances.
Images of broken light,
Which dance before me like a million eyes,
They call me on and on...

a1pha
#13 Posted : 11/8/2012 11:52:49 PM
⨀

Moderator | Skills: Master hacker!

zombicyckel wrote:
Well if the day ever came where you drove over a child, I think that reasoning wouldnt really help. But since you dont anymore, thats great!

Com'on, man, you're being a little hyperbolic here. Why not pull some statistics from the FHA instead of throwing around arguments like this. From the study I linked above, drivers using marijuana are SAFER drivers than those who don't. Not saying it's right (in the moral sense) but at least it's based on data and not scare tactics.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -A.Huxley

Tokapelli
#14 Posted : 11/9/2012 12:04:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

^ good points. You know id also be pretty likely to run over a child because i was in a hurry, got stuck behind some slow (probably stoned lol) driver, got road rage and tried speeding past him while making sure that he noticed my middle finger was fully extended. In that senario, i would be mad, not thinking clearly, driving faster, and not looking at the road because I want to make sure this slow driver knows how pissed off i am. However if I smoked before i drove, id be much more likely to just chuckle at the slow driver, and i wouldnt care as much if i was late to whereever i was going. Anyway you look at it, smokin herb and drivin really aint all that bad for most people.

Crazyhorse
#15 Posted : 11/9/2012 12:08:25 AM

Wide eyed and hopeful

I recently saw an episode of "Curiosity" where they tested four different kinds of drug users (pot, meth, heroin, and coke) against each other in different situations, both while high and while sober, starting with driving. The results from that were very much in line with what folks here are saying, the pothead driver got the slowest time and the least errors.
No direction but to follow what you know,
No direction but a faith in her decision,
No direction but to never fight her flow,
No direction but to trust the final destination.

MelCat
#16 Posted : 11/9/2012 12:12:30 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Tokapelli wrote:
^ good points. You know id also be pretty likely to run over a child because i was in a hurry, got stuck behind some slow (probably stoned lol) driver, got road rage and tried speeding past him while making sure that he noticed my middle finger was fully extended. In that senario, i would be mad, not thinking clearly, driving faster, and not looking at the road because I want to make sure this slow driver knows how pissed off i am. However if I smoked before i drove, id be much more likely to just chuckle at the slow driver, and i wouldnt care as much if i was late to whereever i was going. Anyway you look at it, smokin herb and drivin really aint all that bad for most people.

This sums it up perfectly for me.

zombicyckel
#17 Posted : 11/9/2012 12:38:38 AM

Armchair activist

a1pha wrote:
zombicyckel wrote:

Com'on, man, you're being a little hyperbolic here. Why not pull some statistics from the FHA instead of throwing around arguments like this. From the study I linked above, drivers using marijuana are SAFER drivers than those who don't. Not saying it's right (in the moral sense) but at least it's based on data and not scare tactics.

Its not scare tactics, just because its the lesser of two wrongs doesnt make it right! I know I am slower and atleast half a second slower when stoned. And If something were to happen I rather be sober and quick to react. Rather safe then sorry, But from what I gather many are okey with sorry. Which is really disappointing to say the least

I am not overreacting with that scenario, happend many times for me that kids has just come out of nowhere into the driving lane. and If i was slow to react, I would surely hurt somebody by this time. Carelessness is not a good trait in a driver. I feel sorry for those who are put in danger because that carelessness.

MelCat
#18 Posted : 11/9/2012 12:51:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

zombicyckel wrote:
Carelessness is not a good trait in a driver

Being stoned and being careless are two entirely different things. As I said in my initial post on the matter, it's not for everyone, but it is for some.

Different strokes for different folks. Agree to disagree... whatever...

I'll even go so far as to agree with you. I know several individuals that I would not ride with if they were driving high. I just happen to be an individual that drives better when I am high and I'm not alone.

Talking about running over kids and calling responsible people who genuinely know their limitations careless is taking this a bit too far.

Edit: Just to add to this, I am also a daily smoker so I have quite a tolerance and cannabis affects me way differently than someone who smokes every 6 months. If I was an every 6 month smoker, I would surely be too intoxicated to operate a motor vehicle and I would NOT drive in that situation.

zombicyckel
#19 Posted : 11/9/2012 1:01:04 AM

Armchair activist

Well, based on experience. When relaxed one becomes careless, all the stresses put to ease. that is the main thing cannabis does. so yeah, its def carelessness. Yes I needed to get the worst possible scenario there is so people could see the other side of what might happen if one is slow to react. and children are very unpredicable. as I said before, I been in a close calls before where children come out on a bike on the driving lane. Or running after a football. And god knows in that situation, I wouldnt wanna be half a second slower even if I drove slow to begin with.

But yeah, I cant force anybody to get common sense. that comes from learning from mistakes. So you all can drive around high thinking all is good until failure comes. Good luck that. lets stop this debate, its no use. I think that 0,0002 chance of actually is worth eliminating instead of getting a burger when stoned.

MelCat
#20 Posted : 11/9/2012 1:05:52 AM

DMT-Nexus member

zombicyckel wrote:
Well, based on experience. When relaxed one becomes careless, all the stresses put to ease. that is the main thing cannabis does. so yeah, its def carelessness. Yes I needed to get the worst possible scenario there is so people could see the other side of what might happen if one is slow to react. and children are very unpredicable. as I said before, I been in a close calls before where children come out on a bike on the driving lane. Or running after a football. And god knows in that situation, I wouldnt wanna be half a second slower even if I drove slow to begin with.

But yeah, I cant force anybody to get common sense. that comes from learning from mistakes. So you all can drive around high thinking all is good until failure comes. Good luck that. lets stop this debate, its no use. I think that 0,0002 chance of actually is worth eliminating instead of getting a burger when stoned.

This is just my humble opinion and maybe it's because my ego feels like it's being attacked or whatever, I don't know... But you saying that people like me are careless and lack common sense is quite rude and judgmental and I really don't appreciate it. Especially considering there is actual data out there backing myself and others like me up.

I just wanted to throw that out there.

I agree, let's end this debate because it's not getting anyone anywhere.

123NEXT