We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
CBD extraction ? Options

Kryll
#1 Posted : 10/30/2012 11:24:08 AM
DMT-Nexus member

was wondering if anyone had experience with extracting this substance from hemp
i don't find alot of info on this item

so all clues/teks/instructions and other info welcome !

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

nigl
#2 Posted : 10/30/2012 11:48:47 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Well I'd say you have to find a CBD-rich strain first or else you will get a lot of THC.
Then I would say extract with a soxhlet extractor with a non-polar solvent. Probably I'd go with DCM or Chloroform, maybe Ether will work too but I think Hexanes/Heptanes/Naphtha would be too non-polar.

You will most probably get an oil, dunno about further purification, maybe recrystallization from something like heptane in order to get the oils in solution.

Kryll
#3 Posted : 10/30/2012 3:20:29 PM
DMT-Nexus member

cool thx!

concerning the solvent, what about IPA ?

and what would the best alternative be next to buying a soxhlet extractor for this ?

also, are CBD and THC separable in a simple / kitchen-chemist-compatible way ? Smile

Observant
#4 Posted : 10/30/2012 4:36:15 PM

Nothing Stops The Void

You could also let the Cannabis age if youre not in a Hurry...

Oxygen and Warmth (and Light probably) will all aid in the Conversion of THC to CBD -
so ...after a few years of open storage you could extract an oil which would be very rich in Cannabidiol ! Drool

Had he more quickly realized just who they were,he would have shown them more respect.Had he tried harder to fathom their brilliant minds,he would have taken more of their teachings to heart.Had he more clearly understood the purpose of their being,
he would have more vigorously tried to assist them.They were truly honorable; he was sadly prejudiced.
They were exceedingly well informed; he was grossly ignorant.They were totally indefatigable; he so often, and so quickly,gave up. Still, for many years there was a strong inter-species alliance between the Eleven-Eleven of the Half-way Realm, their Seraphic Associates,and their flesh-and-blood friend, a common mortal. Much was accomplished, many profited, and, there’s only one regret...They could have achieved so much more...

All Hypnotizing Hypnotizes Hypnotizing

endlessness
#5 Posted : 10/30/2012 4:40:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Got any source for that ^ ? Im pretty sure THC does not degrade into CBD but rather into CBN.

The best plant I know of for CBD content is cannatonic. Maybe you can find some seeds.

Not sure about CBD/THC separation, I'd look for 'CBD THC separation isolation extraction solubility etc kind of keywords on google and google scholar

Observant
#6 Posted : 10/30/2012 5:01:33 PM

Nothing Stops The Void

oops , I probably got that one mixed up .

(However offtopic - i find this degradation of actives quite noticeable in effects.
Both cannabinoids, THC and CBD seem to degrade into CBN later on .)

source : http://projectcbd.org/

I read that you can also seperate the Cannabinoids via vaporization temperature, but i don't have sources for that either...
Had he more quickly realized just who they were,he would have shown them more respect.Had he tried harder to fathom their brilliant minds,he would have taken more of their teachings to heart.Had he more clearly understood the purpose of their being,
he would have more vigorously tried to assist them.They were truly honorable; he was sadly prejudiced.
They were exceedingly well informed; he was grossly ignorant.They were totally indefatigable; he so often, and so quickly,gave up. Still, for many years there was a strong inter-species alliance between the Eleven-Eleven of the Half-way Realm, their Seraphic Associates,and their flesh-and-blood friend, a common mortal. Much was accomplished, many profited, and, there’s only one regret...They could have achieved so much more...

All Hypnotizing Hypnotizes Hypnotizing

JourneyToJah
#7 Posted : 10/30/2012 5:11:29 PM

Free Spirit

i'd say its nearly impossible to extract one compound only. this is because cannabis is second after cacao in chemical complexity. aside from the THC, CBD, CBN - which are the most known ones - also there is CBC, CBDN, etc. - least known ones, more known by breeders.

hence the reason they dont use natural CBD into medicine and they make synthethic cannabinoids.

cannabis contains somewhere over 400 chemicals, and only ~80 ( if i remember well ) are identified.

aside from this the breakdown of these chemicals transforms them into other chemicals, and so on.

to be on topic, i would say an alcohol tincture would take the most amount of CBD/CBN and not THC.

hope this helps. my 2cents
With these hands I have killed man and destroyed hopes and dreams. But when I open these hands I can hold my wife, make my children laugh and even aid others. It's not the path that we take but the choices that we make along that path that makes us who we are. -Waugriff

nigl
#8 Posted : 10/30/2012 7:29:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes you will definitly extract both compounds but via liquid chromatography it should be possibly to seperate the two as I would think CBD is more polar than THC on the silica.

Kryll
#9 Posted : 10/30/2012 10:33:15 PM
DMT-Nexus member

well.. main thing is probably that i'm personally not really interested anymore in cannabis because of the THC in it
but as i'm now able to get hold of some leaf cuttings and like the extraction process, it would be interesting to achieve a THC-less extract of somekind

so basically a (quasi) full spectrum extraction + THC separation would be ideal enough :-)

InMotion
#10 Posted : 10/31/2012 12:15:23 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: 3D programming, Mathematician (if you need help with algebra to differential equations I'm available), SKilled Engineer

Well, a simple solvent extraction(liquid liquid extraction) will not be sufficient to separate CBD from the other cannabinoids. Maybe there's a way by really tweaking the solvent phases, though I'm not so sure it's practical and it would take a lot of experimentation. This procedure is typically accomplished via chromatography in scientific literature(be it gravity, HPLC, etc). Which to my limited understanding is a bit of a nightmare with these compounds. Bands like to bleed and chemicals like to group. Vacuum distillation of a nice hash oil may be possible, though it still wouldn't be 'pure'. Is it really worth all the solvent and running 10 foot columns for a few grams? Probably not, beyond novelty.

Maybe there's a solid phase resin out there to utilize the 'catch and capture' technique. The phenolic hydroxyl's look like they want to be massaged into a use. Never-the-less THC also has one of these. Hard to say.

Hypothetically it is possible to genetically modify the cannabis plant to not produce THC and still produce CBD. This is something I know absolutely nothing about.

Best bet for acquiring pure CBD is not discussable on this forum, for just reasons. Vote for medical cannabis when you can, then this will become a more common item. It was in phase 3 trials for psychotic disorders for a while in 2007 iirc. I don't think those ever came to fruition(not a conspiracy, it just wasn't that effective).

Soxhelets are typically used for alcohol based solvents. I see no real advantage to using a soxhelet in this case.

endlessness
#11 Posted : 10/31/2012 12:20:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Now that I think about it, it would be simple to separate it with preparative (or adapted analytical) TLC. If you use hexane as the mobile phase and silica plates as the stationary, you can see the two bands, THC being just below CBD. You can then scrape out the CBD band, soak in some solvent and evap.

This has been done before and shown by gc/lc-ms to work well to separate both compounds. TLC is not at all complicated, if you already do extractions, you can def do TLC. Just buy some plates, check my signature link and/or pm me for more info on TLC.

Egzoset
#12 Posted : 11/7/2012 7:58:40 AM

Vaporist of Borg

Salutations,

The term "extraction" tells me this thread is about advanced techniques but this still reminds me of "Raw Cannabis Juice" somehow, which is radically basic on the contrary (it's about eating cannabis as if it were salad, essentially)...

Parshvik Chintan
#13 Posted : 11/7/2012 8:56:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Egzoset wrote:
The term "extraction" tells me this thread is about advanced techniques but this still reminds me of "Raw Cannabis Juice" somehow, which is radically basic on the contrary (it's about eating cannabis as if it were salad, essentially)...

this has me wondering if one could juice the cannabis leaves (say blending with minimal water, straining and squeezing the strained material, repeat until there is no more color being squeezed out) and then evap that to get a non-psychoactive crude extract (that would presumably be rich in CBD and have minimal amounts of THC in its non-psychoactive form).
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

Pandora
#14 Posted : 11/7/2012 4:56:01 PM

Got Naloxone?

Welcoming committeeSenior Member

Interesting ideas in this post. I don't have a TLC rig or I might very well give it a try.

I'm thinking the Harlequin strain, being very high in CBD, would be a good starting point. . . .
"But even if nothing lasts and everything is lost, there is still the intrinsic value of the moment. The present moment, ultimately, is more than enough, a gift of grace and unfathomable value, which our friend and lover death paints in stark relief."
-Rick Doblin, Ph.D. MAPS President, MAPS Bulletin Vol. XX, No. 1, pg. 2

Hyperspace LOVES YOU

Egzoset
#15 Posted : 11/7/2012 6:35:04 PM

Vaporist of Borg

Parshvik Chintan wrote:
...and then evap that to get a non-psychoactive crude extract...

Evaporation at room temperature should cause little decarboxylation i suppose. I've grown Cannatonics in hope to experiment with Raw Juice among other things, but spider mites invaded my cultivation space and took a sample before i got a chance...

ADDENDUM:

I've just read something about oxalates vs kidney/gallbladder stones so it might be a good idea to address such matters 1st if one decides that Raw Juicing is the solution...