We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
«PREV1011121314NEXT»
Acacia and Mimosa Identification Thread Options

acacian
#221 Posted : 10/3/2012 10:59:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

nope i'm pretty sure thats acacia saligna.. other than the yellow flowers burkitti is a much differen't looking tree. burkitti has rod flowers whereas that tree has yellow balls. it also has much more narrow phyllodes which have a slightly curled "acuminate" point at their tip..... below is burkitti again

google images is your friend a quick search will give you several pretty accurate pics of burkitti

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

sc001
#222 Posted : 10/4/2012 8:39:52 AM
DMT-Nexus member

acacian wrote:
nope i'm pretty sure thats acacia saligna.. other than the yellow flowers burkitti is a much differen't looking tree. burkitti has rod flowers whereas that tree has yellow balls. it also has much more narrow phyllodes which have a slightly curled "acuminate" point at their tip..... below is burkitti again

google images is your friend a quick search will give you several pretty accurate pics of burkitti

is that in response to my question?

i did look at google images and typed acacia burkittii and one or two images looked very similar, almost the same as the picture i put so thats why i posted here.

acacian
#223 Posted : 10/4/2012 12:52:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

sc001 wrote:
[
is that in response to my question?

i did look at google images and typed acacia burkittii and one or two images looked very similar, almost the same as the picture i put so thats why i posted here.

yep it was Smile
good luck on the search for burkitti ... should be lurking about. its a fairly common tree in SA but i'm not sure whether it grows around adelaide

Spice Sailor
#224 Posted : 10/4/2012 11:50:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Didn't know 5meo was a MAOI when smoked, very interesting. I have had some voyagers from maidenii extracts (vapourized) that resulted in what i considered to be 5meo effects. Not "unpleasant" feelings, but felt very physically and mentally demanding on my body and consciousness.

Here's some good attempts to explain the unexplainable from Nexians
https://www.dmt-nexus.me...;t=18457&find=unread

Hey Stainer the tree in your photos, I think, is Delonix regia (Poinciana). It's not an acacia or mimosa but is in the greater family Fabaceae, subfamily Caesalpinioideae.

Spice Sailor.

nen888
#225 Posted : 10/6/2012 2:13:21 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

Stainer (hi, and welcomeSmile) wrote:
Quote:
Hello, i have a question that would help me a lot while looking, do all the acacias have thorns? meaning if no thorns exist that it is not an acacia ?? i have also found that most acacias have yellow flowers but my knowledge about plants is limited and i can't find much flowered plants.. anywhere take a look for what i have found and guide me (these plant was found in Egypt and the pods are very large)
..while it is true that Acacia is from the ancient greek word for Thorn, not all acacia trees have thorns..very few australian species have thorns, and ever-arguing systematic botanists have now placed African, South American and Australian/Asian acacias in different genus..(Vachellia etc.) just to confuse us all further..and, yeah SpiceSailor's right about the ID, probably a poinciana (leopard tree)..thanks Sailor..

and thanks acacian for the A. burkitti response..i agree Sc001's pics are of A. saligna or similar (ball flowers for a start..)

nen888
#226 Posted : 10/16/2012 1:03:33 AM
member for the trees

Acacia expert | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, CounsellingSenior Member | Skills: Acacia, Botany, Tryptamines, Counselling

..to assist everyone in Acacia ID, here's a link to BOTANICAL TERMS RELEVANT TO ACACIAS in the acacia info thread..

Mr.White
#227 Posted : 10/19/2012 8:57:28 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Hey guys could you please tell me if this is an acacia please?
Not the best photos!!! Tomorrow will take a few with more detail!
Mr.White attached the following image(s):
191020121909.jpg (901kb) downloaded 381 time(s).
191020121908.jpg (996kb) downloaded 382 time(s).

StonerCaravan
#228 Posted : 10/22/2012 7:07:52 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Hey guys. Looking for an identification of this plant. My own research has been fruitless. Thanks in advance. Smile

Apologies for the large images...

acacian
#229 Posted : 10/22/2012 7:44:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

StonerCaravan that tree looks like it could well be acacia verticillata.. link to pics below

http://www.google.com.au...e=og&sa=N&tab=wi

StonerCaravan
#230 Posted : 10/22/2012 8:43:16 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the quick response! According to Wikipedia Acacia verticillata, if it is indeed that, contains little or no alkaloids.

nen888
#231 Posted : 10/25/2012 1:50:24 AM
member for the trees

StonerCaravan wrote:
Thanks for the quick response! According to Wikipedia Acacia verticillata, if it is indeed that, contains little or no alkaloids.

..there is no solid evidence for this claim..in other words, not enough research done to say this or otherwise..nice photos btw StonerCaravan..

shanedudddy2
#232 Posted : 11/4/2012 5:29:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi guys,
I believe I have found Acacia Victoriae based on a clear identification of the Flora that exists in the Park.
I grabbed a small sample of the twigs from a younger specimen (not too young) for testing, and a more mature specimen.
The younger tree twigs used seemed to result in nothing, with throws into doubt either my testing methodology, or the Actives are seasonal or non-existent...or only present in mature tree's (or a hybrid of the two Pleased)
Been using a slightly modified version of Marsofold (for a reduced quantity).
Anyone able to confirm I definitely have the right tree.
Thanks heaps.
shanedudddy2 attached the following image(s):
IMG_0207.JPG (332kb) downloaded 336 time(s).
IMG_0224.JPG (237kb) downloaded 337 time(s).

nen888
#233 Posted : 11/4/2012 7:27:09 AM
member for the trees

..good shots everyone..^^..A. victoriae has small spiny stipules (thorns) 'at least on young plants' and the seeds are noticeably mottled (speckled/pitted) ..it also has a sub-variety var. arida, with shorter wider phyllodes..

..'d need to see the seeds and pods to be certain of ID..thanks for report..so far..

worth growing for the edible seed alone..real yummy! Thumbs up

shanedudddy2
#234 Posted : 11/5/2012 2:34:58 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks for the reply, some parts of the younger plants definitely have thorns, and others do not.
Please take a look at the following shot, it shows different twig branches of the same tree, one with thorns, the other with no thorns, but rather ridged knobs (my best explanation).
There were no seed or seed pods on any of the trees, unfortunately.
Cheers
IMG_0246.JPG (163kb) downloaded 317 time(s).

nen888
#235 Posted : 11/5/2012 2:56:55 AM
member for the trees

..hey shaneduudy2..welcome to the world of taxonomic systematic botany! Smile (as opposed to indigenous intuitive style classification) ..without pods and seeds it is very difficult to properly ID an Acacia..i suspect, however, that the stipules and maybe phyllode look slightly different, but this species has sub-forms too..so i can't overemphasise enough
- for proper botanical ID pods, seeds and flowers are required..otherwise it can only be a close guess..

also, it is more likely than not that alkaloids will be absent or reduced if an Acacia is in flower or between flowering and seed production..and during seeding a few species have produced 'defence' alkaloids (NOT dmt)
ideally one should ID a tree at a different time of year to phytochemical experiments..

there are 9 other australian species which can be mistaken for A. victoriae..
they are: A. alexandri , A. aphanoclada , A. chartacea , A. cuspidifolia , A. dempsteri , A. glaucocaesia , A. pickardii , A. ryaniana and A. synchronicia.

Acacia victoriae...common names include Elegant Wattle , Bramble Wattle , Prickly Wattle , Gundabluey and Narran..has 2-3 sub-species..it is very easy to obtain seed from general seed suppliers..
below are a taxonomic summary and some key characteristic photos (c/- of the supreme and wonderful w.w.wattle)
[EDIT: i'm fairly certain that your photos are NOT A.victoriae - main reason - not a prominent mid rib or vein on the phyllode..location records in books do not usually reflect planted/naturalised occurances..
also, looks like radmotion on p10 found an Active and good Longifolia! but how could i have time for All those IDs?
Smile]

..below Elegant Narran..
nen888 attached the following image(s):
A.victoriae taxonomy.jpg (33kb) downloaded 317 time(s).
a. victoriaea stem:inflorescence.jpg (49kb) downloaded 314 time(s).
victoriae seeds.jpg (80kb) downloaded 313 time(s).

shanedudddy2
#236 Posted : 11/5/2012 4:30:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Cheers, according to Atlas of Living Australia none of the other species lives anywhere near the likes of Adelaide.
According to my resources, Acacia Victoriae are within meters of the location I found (within 20-50m)
I guess it`s like you said, that it's variable throughout the year. I just wish I knew of a decent reliable source, haven't done one successful extraction yet... and that is not from a lack of trying *sigh*

shanedudddy2
#237 Posted : 11/5/2012 11:56:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I guess the Park Society could be wrong about their classification, but it seemed as though they were almost definitive with it, oh well, another failed attempt to add to the list.
DMT is everywhere...clearly Shulgin never went to Adelaide.

shanedudddy2
#238 Posted : 11/6/2012 8:43:57 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I went on another walk today, believe I found Acacia Cyclops.
I took photos of the pods/seeds and leaves along with a ruler, so hopefully there's enough detail.
The colour around the black seed ranges from yellow to dark red.
There was a better specimen, but when I tried to look at it...a million ants swarmed on my legs. >_<
I found these around cliff coasts, roughly 100m from the sea, small and shruby.
IMG_0256.JPG (182kb) downloaded 283 time(s).
IMG_0259.JPG (118kb) downloaded 281 time(s).

The Meddling Monk
#239 Posted : 11/6/2012 8:51:00 AM

DMT-Nexus member

looks good. check the fine details. and there lots of pics in the other acacia thread. can't see nen about, so>
(agree shaneduddy's previous pic prob not victoriae)
The Meddling Monk attached the following image(s):
cyclops.jpg (107kb) downloaded 275 time(s).

xantho
#240 Posted : 11/9/2012 1:54:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Greetings friends. I had the most uncanny Acacia encounter today! The Nexus has stimulated my interest in African Acacias over the last few months and I have been slowly learning to recognize them as I walk through neighbouring suburbs. My mission for today was to travel to a few in the area and photograph them for identification purposes, the next step being a request from the owners to remove some small, overhanging branches so that I might eventually contribute experimental results to the Acacia information thread. Well, I stepped out of my front door and began walking down the road to the nearest tree (approximately 50 meters from my house and growing in the front garden of a neighbour) and I couldn't believe what I saw: a large branch had broken off in the strong wind and fallen onto the pavement in front of their fence 0_o Ridiculous! So I carefully took hold of the whole thing and promptly dragged it back to my house. I felt the urge during a changa experience just two nights ago to connect with local Acacias and their teaching presence. Welp, message received! Big grin

The tree isn't currently flowering but I will try to take some pictures in situ over the weekend to help with identification. I live in SW South Africa and have been paging through 'Guide to the Acacias of South Africa' by Nico Smit in an attempt to identify the tree and increase my knowledge. Thorns are recurved, paired, and located at the nodes. I reckon an approximate average of 10 pinna pairs and 27 leaflet pairs per pinna. My best candidate right now is Acacia caffra. Pictures of the thorns in my book (tighter curve, orange tips on young prickles) don't really match but since it's a highly variable species I'm not sure. Any assistance or insight is greatly appreciated!
xantho attached the following image(s):
P1000594edit.JPG (1,248kb) downloaded 265 time(s).
P1000609edit.JPG (977kb) downloaded 263 time(s).
P1000612edit.JPG (1,014kb) downloaded 268 time(s).

"Becoming a person of the plants is not a learning process, it is a remembering process. Somewhere in our ancestral line, there was someone that lived deeply connected to the Earth, the Elements, the Sun, Moon and Stars. That ancestor lives inside our DNA, dormant, unexpressed, waiting to be remembered and brought back to life to show us the true nature of our indigenous soul" - Sajah Popham.

«PREV1011121314NEXT»