We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
The Official Art Tutorial Thread Options

MelCat
#1 Posted : 10/31/2012 5:55:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I believe that self expression is an important part of the human experience and art is one of the best ways to facilitate that expression.

This thread is about sharing ways to build a solid art foundation in order for you to learn how to express yourself in the best way possible.

I was thinking as you guys and gals post more and more tutorials, I'll try to keep them organized here in this original post. I might even make a wiki page for this eventually if we get enough submissions; that way others can help keep everything up to date as well.

Feel free to post any kind of tutorial that has helped you or you think will help others. It can be any type of art style from drawing to painting to music to whatever else. This thread is all about learning to get the creative juices flowing and express yourself so I see no reason to limit the knowledge unless it's extremely dangerous stuff.

So without further ado, here are some tutorials and placeholders to get us started.

* = The uploader of this video has lots of other great videos to check out and learn from!

Drawing
Drawing Techniques with Jacque Fresco

Art Theory Tutorials *

Hatching and Crosshatching *

Painting

Digital Painting

Mixed Media

Mixing digital and traditional art techniques

Photoshop General

Fractal
Photoshop & Apophysis Tutorial, Creating Crazy Fractal Effects *

General Apophysis Tutorials

Music

Sculpting
3D Pumpkin Carving

Writing

Premium - Not Free - You Gotta Pay For 'Em Tutorials
Riven Phoenix The Structure Of Man
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Guyomech
#2 Posted : 10/31/2012 6:29:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Oil painting, Acrylic painting, Digital and multimedia art, Trip integration

Great idea MelCat! I would like to eventually start posting some step by step stuff here at the Nexus, and there has already been some discussion of creating a subforum for the purpose. This thread is a great start.

brokin
#3 Posted : 10/31/2012 9:05:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Riven Phoenix The Structure Of Man

Very useful, good "teacher"

http://www.alienthink.com/

No youtube links but I think you guys know...piracy and stuff, ALTHOUGH would totally be worth the money.

MelCat
#4 Posted : 10/31/2012 9:13:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Awesome suggestion brokin. I guess I'll make a section for Premium/Not Free tutorials for people to recommend?

Guy: That's awesome you're planning some tutorials. I'd love to see how you do some of the stuff you do. Glad to get the ball rolling a little bit with this thread.
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

Tokapelli
#5 Posted : 10/31/2012 9:57:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

cool man thanks for starting this. i have found some pretty good oil painting tutorials over the past couple months ill track em down and get em posted.

Wax
#6 Posted : 11/1/2012 7:43:23 AM

LUVR

Nice Melcat! Great idea.

I've been really wanting a fractal program like apophysis but I'm on a mac and the whole WINE thing confused me when I went to download it. Does anyone have any fractal programs they recommend for mac?
'Little spider weaves a wispy web, stumblin' through the woods it catches to my head. She crawls behind my ear and whispers secrets. Dragonfly whiz by and sings now teach it.'

zombicyckel
#7 Posted : 11/1/2012 10:57:31 AM

Armchair activist

This video is th emost amazing guide (5 min). its straight to the point, and when you do it . How to carve a pumpkin face. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akGoMtikMSs

And when you want to do more stuff, check out his other vids.

I did these with the help of that video. without it I surely wouldnt have come far Very happy
https://www.dmt-nexus.me...&m=400216#post400216

Guyomech
#8 Posted : 11/22/2012 8:13:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Oil painting, Acrylic painting, Digital and multimedia art, Trip integration

This is a quickie tutorial I cooked up to show the mixing of digital and analog media. It goes into Photoshop, graphite, colored pencil and paint:

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...osts&m=406773#406773

And here's a second one I put together, much more detailed this time, working with a drawing volunteered by Cosmic Learning:

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...m=413988&#post413988

This one goes into a lot more detail with coloring.

Non Dua Natura
#9 Posted : 12/3/2012 2:54:04 AM

Namo Amitaba Buddha

Great idea!

If anyone's interested in video work and post-production in particular with Adobe After Effects, I highly recommend: www.videocopilot.net. It's a great site and the tutorials are always informative and entertaining, as well as being free of charge!

I'd love to contribute to the tutorial thread so I'll see if I can put something together in the coming weeks, either for Photoshop or related to music production and recording at home.
When it blows, it stacks...

Guyomech
#10 Posted : 12/5/2012 3:38:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This is a link to Lobo's fractal making thread:

https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=39146

DeDao
#11 Posted : 2/3/2013 3:20:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Awesome!!!
"Think more than you speak"
"How do you get rid of the pain of having pain in the first place? You get rid of expectations"
"You are everything that is. Open yourself to the love and understanding that is available."
"To see God, you have to have met the Devil."
"When you know how to listen, everyone becomes a guru."
" One time, I didn't do anything, and it was so empty... Almost as if I wasn't doing anything. Then I wrote about it. It was fulfilling."

teotenakeltje
#12 Posted : 11/8/2016 11:16:45 AM

DMT-Nexus member

This thread should be revived....

It's a great idea and could be a great help to other nexians that wish to improve their skills. With all the tutorials that exist on the net, it's hard to judge (for beginners) which ones are worth it.
Since we have AMAZING artists here on the nexus, I personally would blindly trust their recommendations in this thread.

seagull
#13 Posted : 10/8/2017 5:50:11 PM

Hello world!

Howbout this https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=77116 ? For reading!
You&Iverse