We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123NEXT
Attention artistic members: submit work for new Nexus art gallery! Options

Mr.Peabody
#21 Posted : 10/27/2012 4:06:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Looking forward to the new gallery! Thank you for all the work you do around here, Guyomech and Art, and any others who are working so hard. It's awesome to have a place to get art to the people who would like my art!

I was wondering, is it possible to submit any more banner art? I would like to make a Nexus banner, but I think I'm too late.

Be an adult only when necessary.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

cyb
#22 Posted : 10/27/2012 4:11:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, CarpenterSenior Member | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, Carpenter

Mr.Peabody wrote:
I was wondering, is it possible to submit any more banner art? I would like to make a Nexus banner, but I think I'm too late.

If you post it up here:
https://www.dmt-nexus.me...&m=397407#post397407

Trav will pick it up...he's a star like that Thumbs up
Please do not PM tek related questions
Reserve the right to change your mind at any given moment.

Guyomech
#23 Posted : 10/27/2012 4:16:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Oil painting, Acrylic painting, Digital and multimedia art, Trip integration

Couldn't agree more. I would like to think that the artists here will make statements that are enjoyable to read and maybe a little eye-opening about the art world, a place that I personally disdain and have very little interaction with.

Good art shouldn't require an explanation, I agree... But a well written statement can put the viewer in a more receptive state of mind for grasping the artist's intent. Sometimes it can be nice to get an idea of an artist's influences... Or if we were to use Maxx's post as his statement, a taste of the artist's personality. For those willing to share stuff outside the Nexus, links to your DeviantArt account or that kind of thing can be great too.

D.I.B., please read my previous post about resolution. 72 is of course fine, but just narrows our options in terms of different ways the art could potentially be presented.

Infectednl
#24 Posted : 10/27/2012 7:51:58 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Nice idea, I'm really looking forward to see the gallery. I will put my stuff together. Will there be a place for animations as wel or just paintings?.
@ The Max, why would you ban the word visionary what could replace such words then to talk about youre work? I kinda like the term...
View my art at http://sander-bos.nl

Bill Cipher
#25 Posted : 10/27/2012 8:42:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The Maxx:

Participate... don't participate. Write a statement... or don't.

Whatever makes you comfortable, really. The blowhardy speechification isn't particularly necessary.

The Maxx
#26 Posted : 10/27/2012 9:00:01 PM

I Am the Jungle Queen!

Infectednl wrote:
The Max, why would you ban the word visionary what could replace such words then to talk about youre work? I kinda like the term...

I never said anything about a ban. I just offered a friendly piece of advice since I've been forced to read so many freakin' statements, I'd rather eat a bowl of baby diarrhea than read another statement chalk full of grandiose adjectives.

And, Artie: "The blowhardy speechification isn't particularly necessary."

Of course it is! Read what I wrote again. It's meant to be a bit funny. Laugh, son, you'll live longer.
You are Lazarus in the Tomb, and we are always knocking for you to come out. Soon, the tomb will be torn down around you, and you must come out. What will you do then?

ChaoticMethod
#27 Posted : 10/27/2012 10:24:20 PM

Eye of the Beholder

I somewhat agree and somewhat disagree with Maxx's "artist's statement"... Wink

I think reading a bit about an artist can be really interesting and can help us connect with the work in a different way. But being too obvious in a work's description can tame the work's power.

I'd agree that "visionnary" isn't the best word to use, but not for the same reason as Maxx: I can't think of a less imaginative way for a visionnary artist to qualify his own work as visionnary...

I'm gonna post some work as soon as I have enough paintings I'm satisfied with Smile
"If you have any answers, We will be glad to provide full and detailed questions."

[url=http://shimeon.tumblr.com//url]

Guyomech
#28 Posted : 10/30/2012 4:22:16 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Oil painting, Acrylic painting, Digital and multimedia art, Trip integration

So for anyone struggling with the FTP thing, I'm adding an email address as an option for sending us your files:

hyperspacestudios3842@yahoo.com

The account has an 8 mb per email limit, so use multiple emails if necessary.

FTP is still preferable, especially for larger groups of images, as it saves us a step at this end. But I'd hate to let that stop anyone from submitting work.

cyb
#29 Posted : 11/8/2012 6:47:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, CarpenterSenior Member | Skills: Digi-Art, DTP, Optical tester, Mechanic, Carpenter

Time for a Bumpity Bump Bump...Very happy

come on all you image makers...get your pencils out...Very happy

BecometheOther
#30 Posted : 11/8/2012 6:12:18 PM

metamorhpasizer

Hey tokapeli brought up a very valid question... Can we make a space for musicians on the new site?? a place to host the songs, i have a whole album im trying to drop and figure out how (if at all) i can promote it on here...

Cheers guys i am loving this direction!
You have never been apart from me. You can never depart and never return, for we are continuous, indistinguishable. We are eternal forever

Nils
#31 Posted : 11/8/2012 6:54:41 PM

DMT-Nexus member

BecometheOther wrote:
i have a whole album im trying to drop and figure out how (if at all) i can promote it on here...

At the very least you can make a thread in the Art/Music/Lit section of the forum.

cyb
#32 Posted : 11/8/2012 7:03:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Nils wrote:
At the very least you can make a thread in the Art/Music/Lit section of the forum.

^^^ True...Don't wanna sound like a buzzkill here but SoundCloud is Huge for music...Pleased

Tokapelli
#33 Posted : 11/8/2012 10:51:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

yea there are other sites out there specifically for visual artists too, thats not stopin us from making a viusal art gallery. These are 2 very important ways of expressing the psychadelic experience, and one without the other doesnt do the experience justice in my mind. Its the yin and the yang. I think this is very important not just for the artist, but also for members of the community and guests/prospective members. If the nexus is going to support artists, it should support artists of all kinds.

*edit: another thing id like to add, just becuase a musician can post a song on soundcloud doenst mean its going to get to the right audience, and thats important. For instance ive spent years on art forums, airbrush forums, painting forums, graphic design forums, tyring to learn things and pick up tips and post my own work. I have learned more and gotten more support here on the Nexus in just a few short months than i did spending years on those other art forums. This is because fellow nexians understand the inspiration for my art and the message that im trying to communicate, and the same exact thing would apply to music.

cyb
#34 Posted : 11/8/2012 11:00:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

^^^^ Very good points...perhaps two galleries running side by side...or would you have them integrated?

edit: it would require a pretty large Hdd on the server to accommodate large files/albums etc. (depending on the amount of contributors...maybe use soundclouds servers and host the links here?))
just thinking out loud..Smile

Guyomech
#35 Posted : 12/2/2012 12:52:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

We actually are considering having a music gallery as well.

Nils
#36 Posted : 12/10/2012 12:49:37 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Uploaded some photos. Excited to see this come together.

MelCat
#37 Posted : 12/16/2012 1:22:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Just got my stuff uploaded as well. Can't wait for all of these projects to come full circle.
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

SKA
#38 Posted : 9/8/2013 10:57:28 PM
DMT-Nexus member

The Maxx wrote:
Guyomech wrote:

2) write an artist's statement describing who you are and what you're aiming for as an artist. Save as a SimpleText or Word document

Ahhh . . . . man . . . . .

I've been in the art game for a spell, a solid member of the underground. I have lived with other artists, in a giant art warehouse, for 6 years, being crazy art people.

But the one thing that has driven me to the point of committing homicide is the dreadful Artist Statement. Never in my life have I read such fevered self-worship and hilariously hyperbolic comments on the meaning behind everything they did. Uhg. It's part of why I always refuse to show at galleries. (Once, at MOMA in NY City, there was an "art piece" that was just a plain white room, and every few seconds a light would blink on and off. On the wall was a SIX PARAGRAPH Artist Statement about the meaning of this horseshit! I puked blood out of my eyeballs for a week after that. True story. The other reason I never show at major galleries is the ridiculously high, and just plain embarrassing prices people put on their art. )

"I realized I'd been touched by artistic greatness at the age of four. I remember holding an orange, off-brand crayon in the light of a sunbeam. All at once, my life opened up before me, and I knew blah blah blah BLAH!"

Ahh . . . I'm having a bit of fun. I do like the idea and will see about entering my non-comic book type art (painted statues and crystals, an obelisk carved from a large dead tree that I plan to carve images on and paint gold, etc.) .

And I do encourage tempered egos with those Artist Statements. Let's try and avoid words like "visionary," "diaphanous," "intangible," "gifted," or "spiritual."

You'll do as you please, of course, but if I have to rag on you a bit for an over-the-top Artist Statement, don't be surprised. I can't help it, my instincts take over . . .

This drives me crazy in particular since I've lived with artists my whole life. It taught me to stay in the shadows. That can be tricky in a giant warehouse with 500 people having a party in a space rated for about 80. (There were only about 8 permanent people who lived there, with about twenty as part of the collective. The parties went on until the fire marshal said enough is enough. The resident old drunk fell asleep with a lit cigarette one night and burned the place to the ground. The old man died and so did one of the resident's dogs, a pit bull named Seed. There were tears for the dog, none for the old man. )

Here's my statement, short and sweet: "I've always liked to draw, that's no big deal."

Bless you for speaking the un-decorated, straight from the heart truth!
I feel eXACTly the same about the "proffesional" art community. Such Megalomania.
Such Hubris. Such Narcissism. It sickens me too. As much as it sickens you.

It's a horrible trend that's taking over and slowly becomming the norm in the world of Graphical Art; The need to explain what your work is supposed to mean using words.

What if I choose to express something Visually, because I found that words can't do it justice? Words couldn't explain it in enough nuance, whereas imagery could.
Also what about a little mystery? What about a little mental interaction between
the work of art & the observer?

I want graphical art to be mostly visual. I don't mind a title indicative of the meaning of the image. I even see how a small poem accompanying a visual work of art could be appropriate, but if you over-explain the work of art you effectively kill it's magic.

The magic of the observer seeing your graphical work of art and being challenged &
compelled to search his/her mind to find meaning in it. This way Art can have mind(thought) & mood-altering/manipulating effects on observers.

I don't want to be forced to kill that magic with excessive literary explanations.
Let Images explain themselves. A 1 word title should be more than enough to crudely indicate
the meaning of your images.

I would very much like to contribute some of my images too, but like The Maxx I
would prefer to do it with as minimal use of words too, if that's okay?

Bill Cipher
#39 Posted : 9/8/2013 11:14:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Don't get your panties all in a bunch over it. If you want to post up your work with no statement, by all means do.

Ain't no thang but a chicken wang.

DoingKermit
#40 Posted : 9/9/2013 1:24:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I don't mind people explaining their background and giving a personal meaning towards their art work. Everyone has a story to tell in regards to why they draw, paint, etc... it's interesting to me. At the same time, I do understand why one wouldn't. Some like to keep that personal info to themselves and leave it to the observer to decide what they think about the art... with no outside influence. No need to get aggravated over it IMO.

Live and let live Smile

PREV123NEXT