We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Crystallization via Precipitation Options

DarkShaman
#1 Posted : 2/23/2009 8:29:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Does anyone have any tips/techniques regarding how to grow/create larger crystals through freeze precip.?

I have found diethyl ether to be, by far, the best precursor for this application. Heptane is the runner-up.

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Psyckoz
#2 Posted : 2/23/2009 8:37:24 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Ah I see you actually created the thread Wink
I would also like to know about this ( I have nothing about the sweet little powder but crystals have something magical about them Razz ).

DarkShaman
#3 Posted : 2/23/2009 8:57:25 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Psyckoz wrote:
Ah I see you actually created the thread Wink
I would also like to know about this ( I have nothing about the sweet little powder but crystals have something magical about them Razz ).

Indeed! Very happy

Especially the humongous, crystal-clear crystals that often come as a result of a pure diethyl ether precip. Very happy

Psyckoz
#4 Posted : 2/23/2009 9:11:37 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Some pics would be nice.
Btw, if for example 1g of yellow powderish DMT was to be redissolved in heptane or diethyl ether instead of naphta for recrystallization, that would mean you could be cleaning the spice and transforming it into nice little crystals at the same time, right ?

DarkShaman
#5 Posted : 2/23/2009 9:55:52 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Psyckoz wrote:
Btw, if for example 1g of yellow powderish DMT was to be redissolved in heptane or diethyl ether instead of naphta for recrystallization, that would mean you could be cleaning the spice and transforming it into nice little crystals at the same time, right ?

Indeed, it would

xantus
#6 Posted : 2/24/2009 6:23:21 AM
DMT-Nexus member

it seems the best crystal growth is obtained through the most gradual of temperature changes... so maybe starting with hot ether in a heat bath contained in a double-walled container. then over the period of several days moving the container from warmth, to room temperature, to outdoors overnight then into the fridge in the morning.. then eventually the freezer, the final step being removal of the double-walled container...

endlessness
#7 Posted : 2/24/2009 9:45:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

yes, repeating the process by warming up and making cold again several times will increase the size of crystals, as when it warms up the small crystals redissolve first, and when it gets cold they tend to grow on top of the bigger already-formed crystals

DarkShaman
#8 Posted : 2/25/2009 4:46:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

xantus wrote:
it seems the best crystal growth is obtained through the most gradual of temperature changes... so maybe starting with hot ether in a heat bath contained in a double-walled container. then over the period of several days moving the container from warmth, to room temperature, to outdoors overnight then into the fridge in the morning.. then eventually the freezer, the final step being removal of the double-walled container...

Excellent! Now that's what I call critical thinking Very happy