We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
123NEXT»
Consider only accessing this kind of community from the "darkweb" Options

CatholicPsychonaut
#1 Posted : 9/25/2012 3:17:10 PM

"Nature loves courage"

Since discovering the warmth and safety and security of the Tor Browser Bundle, I haven't accessed this website without its comfy blanket of anonymity. If there are young people on here who don't know how easily it is for your location to be determined based on browser cookies, IP address tracking, and other such behaviors, I would recommend you consider using Tor. Tor bounces your internet signal through a number of different locations all over the world, making it impossible for the website you are accessing to figure out your location. There are a number of very good reasons to use this kind of cloud of anonymity other than the obvious ones here. First of all, it prevents snooping by companies, it makes it more difficult to get viruses because the browser blocks cookies and flash and disruptive Java scripts. You do have to change the way you interact with the web to some degree, no youtube, flash games, and such. But you can always have another, non-clouded browser running at the same time, looking at things you don't mind people knowing you're looking at.

Here's the link to The Tor Project

If things start to get dicier, and the shutting down of Robert's MHRBP business is more than just an anomaly in terms of the persecution of our cognitive liberties, I would also call on The Traveler to consider converting at least the non-noobie part of this forum to "darkweb," meaning that it is a website that can ONLY be accessed while browsing through Tor and where both the user and the destination website have untraceable IP addressees. Just a thought. I recognize the need for such a forum to be accessible when you DON'T know it's here. I have just recently told The Traveler how much I feel blessed to have found this space and wouldn't want to suggest we deprive future Psychonauts in training of the same blessing. However, I also think that strange times may call for strange measures.
"Christians often ask why God does not speak to them, as they believed God did in former days. When I hear such questions, it always makes me think of the Rabbi who was asked how it could be that God was manifest to people in the olden days whereas nowadays nobody ever sees God. The rabbi replied, 'Nowadays there is no longer anybody who can bow low enough.'"
--Carl Jung

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

DeMenTed
#2 Posted : 9/25/2012 3:19:06 PM

Barry

Tor isnt necessary on the dmt nexus. The Traveller sorted that out i'm sure Smile

The Traveler
#3 Posted : 9/25/2012 3:21:38 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

DeMenTed wrote:
Tor isnt necessary on the dmt nexus. The Traveller sorted that out i'm sure Smile

I made a few layers of security on the DMT-Nexus but it can never hurt to have more security layers.

Things like TOR, I2P and (a good an reliable) VPN can be excellent additional layers for your security. So please, make sure that you surf as anonymous as possible.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

DeMenTed
#4 Posted : 9/25/2012 3:33:51 PM

Barry

Cool i'll check it out Smile

Vodsel
#5 Posted : 9/25/2012 3:47:53 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Filmmaking and Storytelling, Video and Audio Technology, Teaching, Gardening, Languages (Proficient Spanish, Catalan and English, and some french, italian and russian), Seafood cuisine

Once Tor is properly set up and running, you might also want to take a look at Tor Mail and Enigmail for your email/encryption needs.

I am.
#6 Posted : 9/25/2012 3:55:11 PM

I AM

Yes vodsel...using an encrypted email service is just as important as secure browsing. Most people forget that pretty much all the service providers are buddy buddy with big brother.
embrace your nothingness...it's all you are...

Wax
#7 Posted : 9/25/2012 6:26:03 PM

LUVR

So this is probably a dumb question, but would a tor email address be safer even when ordering things with a credit card off the web?
'Little spider weaves a wispy web, stumblin' through the woods it catches to my head. She crawls behind my ear and whispers secrets. Dragonfly whiz by and sings now teach it.'

a1pha
#8 Posted : 9/25/2012 6:31:14 PM

Moderator | Skills: Master hacker!

archaic_architect wrote:
So this is probably a dumb question, but would a tor email address be safer even when ordering things with a credit card off the web?

No. Doing this creates a link between your anon email and your real-world CC.
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." -A.Huxley

Shaolin
#9 Posted : 9/25/2012 6:37:01 PM

Stiletto Stoner

Email is like a postcard, everyone who handle it can read it. Tor Mail operators (unknown) or Google. You will need to use encryption (like PGP) to maintain your privacy. If anyone needs help with PGP, drop me a line.
Got GVG ? Mhm. Got DMT ?

Pandora wrote:
Nexus enjoys cutting edge and ongoing superior programming skills of the owner of this site (The Traveler), including recent switching to the .me domain name.

I'm still, I'm still Jenny from the block

Simon Jester wrote:
"WTF n00b, buy the $100 vapor pipe or GTFO"

Ignorance of the law does not protect you from prosecution

dreamer042
#10 Posted : 9/25/2012 7:07:25 PM

Dreamoar

Moderator | Skills: Mostly harmless

Admittedly I'm pretty ignorant to all this stuff.

but, I have heard a lot of stuff about what's going on in that darkweb and what people use it for, and frankly I don't want anything to do with any of that stuff. I feel like even downloading the tor program is basically an admission of guilt that I'm doing things I probably shouldn't be. I don't see the need to hide my activity when all I'm doing is browsing an internet forum that is really quite small and obscure compared to something like Shroomery.

Am I just being ignorant, or are others being overly paranoid?
Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream. Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily...

Visual diagram for the administration of dimethyltryptamine

Visual diagram for the administration of ayahuasca

benzyme
#11 Posted : 9/25/2012 7:10:38 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

I use https everywhere. I have no patience for tor.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

a1pha
#12 Posted : 9/25/2012 7:17:34 PM

dreamer042 wrote:

Nope - I'm the same way. For years I hid behind multiple layers of protection; but now, I avoid using anon networks completely. The reason for this is the same as you mentioned above - it pretty much raises a red flag announcing you're doing something untoward. Also, encrypted traffic from TOR/I2P has a unique signature (even if the information can't be read) and anyone analyzing traffic would be able to pinpoint users of anon networks with relative ease.

Guess who the target is on these days: users of anon networks.

Red Eclipse
#13 Posted : 9/25/2012 7:21:16 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
The reason for this is the same as you mentioned above - it pretty much raises a red flag announcing you're doing something untoward. Also, encrypted traffic from TOR/I2P has a unique signature (even if the information can't be read) and anyone analyzing your traffic would be able to pinpoint users of anon networks with relative ease.

If you were to live in a fairly large city with more then a few exit nodes, would it be harder to trace your location? I ask this as a contrast to folks in rural areas with only 1-2 exit nodes within a few mile radius.

Vodsel
#14 Posted : 9/25/2012 7:28:49 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Filmmaking and Storytelling, Video and Audio Technology, Teaching, Gardening, Languages (Proficient Spanish, Catalan and English, and some french, italian and russian), Seafood cuisine

archaic_architect wrote:

Nod to a1pha and Shaolin (I linked enigmail as an easy PGP front-end for local email clients like Thunderbird).

Tormail is simply a free web/pop3 mail account that doesn't require any personal information when you sign up. But in order to use that properly, like the friend who had the patience to show me said, you should have control of your computation.

That means setting up the tormail account to work with a local mail client, so you store yourself your messages without leaving any copy in the server, and creating a PGP key so you can sign and encrypt your messages. Ideally, under a GNU/Linux OS.

Of course, that expects your mail buddies to use PGP as well. But I think it pays off.

dreamer042 wrote:
I feel like even downloading the tor program is basically an admission of guilt that I'm doing things I probably shouldn't be. I don't see the need to hide my activity when all I'm doing is browsing an internet forum that is really quite small and obscure compared to something like Shroomery.

Using Tor does not imply that you are doing things you don't want the law enforcement to find out. It's a simple matter of privacy and keeping your ISP, and popular web services, from sniffing around your traffic. That right to privacy is not given, you have to work it out. And it requires little effort for me, even if I am not doing anything illegal. I am not afraid of the law finding out what I do online, since I'm not breaking any laws. But it's strictly my business.

a1pha
#15 Posted : 9/25/2012 7:30:30 PM

Red Eclipse wrote:
If you were to live in a fairly large city with more then a few exit nodes, would it be harder to trace your location? I ask this as a contrast to folks in rural areas with only 1-2 exit nodes within a few mile radius.

In my opinion, If you live in a large city it would be wise to use open wireless networks and some form of encryption over TOR/I2P on your personal residential connection. It is no secret that the US Government is storing/monitoring all darknet/deepweb traffic.

Quote:
The data stored in Bluffdale will naturally go far beyond the world’s billions of public web pages. The NSA is more interested in the so-called invisible web, also known as the deep web or deepnet—data beyond the reach of the public. This includes password-protected data, US and foreign government communications, and noncommercial file-sharing between trusted peers. “The deep web contains government reports, databases, and other sources of information of high value to DOD and the intelligence community,” according to a 2010 Defense Science Board report. “Alternative tools are needed to find and index data in the deep web … Stealing the classified secrets of a potential adversary is where the [intelligence] community is most comfortable.” With its new Utah Data Center, the NSA will at last have the technical capability to store, and rummage through, all those stolen secrets. The question, of course, is how the agency defines who is, and who is not, “a potential adversary.”

The NSA Is Building the Country’s Biggest Spy Center (Watch What You Say)

Shaolin
#16 Posted : 9/25/2012 7:42:58 PM

Stiletto Stoner

dreamer042 wrote:

but, I have heard a lot of stuff about what's going on in that darkweb and what people use it for, and frankly I don't want anything to do with any of that stuff. I feel like even downloading the tor program is basically an admission of guilt that I'm doing things I probably shouldn't be. I don't see the need to hide my activity when all I'm doing is browsing an internet forum that is really quite small and obscure compared to something like Shroomery.

Tor program is basically just a privacy configured Firefox browser. You can use to access "normal" websites too, so in no way admission of guilt.

The darkweb news reports are stupid. I don't want to use another word because all I hear about are paedophiles and hitmen.

a1pha wrote:

In my opinion, If you live in a large city it would be wise to use open wireless networks and some form of encryption over TOR/I2P on your personal residential connection. It is no secret that the US Government is storing/monitoring all darknet/deepweb traffic.

Obfsproxy to the rescue !
Got GVG ? Mhm. Got DMT ?

Pandora wrote:
Nexus enjoys cutting edge and ongoing superior programming skills of the owner of this site (The Traveler), including recent switching to the .me domain name.

I'm still, I'm still Jenny from the block

Simon Jester wrote:
"WTF n00b, buy the $100 vapor pipe or GTFO"

Ignorance of the law does not protect you from prosecution

The Traveler
#17 Posted : 9/25/2012 9:42:12 PM

"No, seriously"

Administrator | Skills: DMT, LSD, Programming

I personally use a VPN connection since it's no ones business what I do online.

I'm even thinking of setting up a DMT-Nexus VPN server so I will be sure none is peaking at me but currently with all the other projects in the pipeline that has to wait a little.

Kind regards,

The Traveler

CatholicPsychonaut
#18 Posted : 9/26/2012 5:56:44 AM

"Nature loves courage"

dreamer042 wrote:

It is my contention that EVERYONE should be using a service like Tor. I don't think it matters who you are or how much or little you are breaking the law. It's not about law breaking, its about a sense of what is public and what is private. Essentially, without something like Tor, EVERY COMMUNICATION you have on the internet is being tracked, recorded, and logged... Not necessarily by law enforcement, but by private companies, who have none of the constitutional requirements of unlawful search and seizure. These people force you to click "I agree" to use every little service they provide. It's "free," but you ARE paying... You're paying with the loss of your privacy. It's like Shaolin said, any email not PGP encrypted is like a postcard. ANYONE who touches it can read it VERY easily. Understand that you are not alone, that you ARE being watched, and that those watching wish to know as much about you as they possibly can. Perhaps their motive isn't to put you in jail, but the fact that they've GOT all this info makes it very easy for law enforcement to obtain it, much more easy than it was for them 10 years ago.

For all the explanation you'll ever need on why EVERYONE should ALWAYS surf the web anonymously, listen to this podcast from the Psychedelic Salon:

"Occupy the Internet," talk by Eben Moglen
"Christians often ask why God does not speak to them, as they believed God did in former days. When I hear such questions, it always makes me think of the Rabbi who was asked how it could be that God was manifest to people in the olden days whereas nowadays nobody ever sees God. The rabbi replied, 'Nowadays there is no longer anybody who can bow low enough.'"
--Carl Jung

CatholicPsychonaut
#19 Posted : 9/26/2012 5:59:21 AM

"Nature loves courage"

benzyme wrote:
I use https everywhere. I have no patience for tor.

Waiting a few more seconds to see a website is worth it when you consider what you're giving up for that little bit of speed, which is everything. It's like saying "I just don't have time to get dressed in the morning, so I go out naked every day," Or, "I just don't have time to get into my wallet and get out my debit card every time I shop, so I just had my card number and SS# tattooed on my forehead. I'm sure everyone who can see it is trustworthy."
--Carl Jung

a1pha
#20 Posted : 9/26/2012 6:07:26 AM

CatholicPsychonaut wrote:
Essentially, without something like Tor, EVERY COMMUNICATION you have on the internet is being tracked, recorded, and logged...

So, your conclusion is that by using Tor communications will not be tracked, recorded and logged? IMO, your conclusion is false. Depending on your sources, the mere use of Tor increases the likelyhood of the very thing you claim to avoid (that is, being tracked, recorded and logged).

Not necessarily by law enforcement, but by private companies, who have none of the constitutional requirements of unlawful search and seizure.

Which private companies have access to logs of browsing the DMT-Nexus? There are strict regulations in place regarding ISPs and personal browsing history. In addition, The Traveler removed all trackers (THANK YOU!) many months ago...

Perhaps their motive isn't to put you in jail, but the fact that they've GOT all this info makes it very easy for law enforcement to obtain it, much more easy than it was for them 10 years ago.

Can you explain the point you are trying to make here? It seems illogical to say it is much easier for them to obtain incriminating information about you but also say their motive is not to put you in jail. This seems contradictory.

123NEXT»