We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Distilling DMT from phalaris, excluding gramine Options

Mortis Nuntius
#1 Posted : 6/7/2011 1:15:41 AM

DMT-Nexus member

SWIM would like to extract DMT from Phalaris arundinacea, but the plant has gramine in it which is difficult to extract. I have found out that gramine's boiling point is 294C while DMT's is max 160C, so this got me thinking if it would be possible to distill DMT in an oil or sand bath.

The potential tek has some nice things going for it since it might let you omit the solvent phase of the extraction in favor of some rigging and tubing. If some DMT is lost due to oxidation, the ready availability of Phalaris arundinacea should make up for it in quantity. The yield should also be a lot safer than even a d-limonene extraction.

But this is just what my lay-person's imagination is telling me, and then there is this. Do you know if anyone has tried this before? Does this post perhaps belong in the Advanced/Enhanced Chemistry section?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

aliendreamtime
#2 Posted : 9/23/2012 2:06:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

You would probably have to turn it into freebase. Deff sounds interesting though! Plus the set up would just look cool!

benzyme
#3 Posted : 9/23/2012 2:25:29 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

Mortis Nuntius wrote:
while DMT's is max 160C

@ 0.8 HPa (reduced pressure).
it's going to take more than simple distillation to separate gramine from DMT.
I'm thinking either solvent partition, or IEX (ion exchange chromatography).
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck