We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
On diets, health theories and food myths Options

endlessness
#1 Posted : 9/8/2012 11:38:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I know we had some discussion on diets before but I think it would be interesting to talk specifically about some of the common ideas/myths that show up regarding health and eating. Feel free to add any theory here so it can be discussed. Ideally people could present their own experiences, and/or some real data from reliable sources.

I'll start by just naming a few things that I hear/read often. What do you guys think of:

1- Alkaline diets - Many claims about how acidity will interfere with health, might be one of the causes of cancer, etc.

Is there any truth to this? The fact that

a - Blood has pH buffers and works on a very narrow pH range, and any significant deviation from this will generate alkalosis or acidosis which are dangerous

b- The stomach acid is composed of HCl which would neutralize and turn more acidic anything that was slightly alkaline

and

c- No publication I can find that shows any real data regarding benefits of alkaline diet

makes me think this theory is probably untrue... But maybe someone researched more to know some other facts related to this?

2- Food mixes

This seems to make a bit more sense, but dont know how far this can be taken. It seems to me reasonable to assume that certain mixes of food will improve the absorption/digestion/metabolization of certain components as opposed to other mixes. But is there any real data on what exact mixes are better or worse? Which ones are pure speculation/beliefs? For example some places will say not to mix all kinds of fruits, or that one should not mix sources of protein in a meal, or that one should not mix carbohydrates. Is there any truth to this?

3- Raw food

The idea that raw food is always good or better than cooked food is not necessarily true.. Some raw food can be dangerous, hard to digest, or have nutrients that are not (as) bioavailable, such as for example beans (dangerous to eat raw or sprouted), potatoes (starch hard to digest raw, also dangerous due to possible toxic solanine which breaks down with heat), tomato (licopene is better absorbed when tomato is heated), etc.

Some sources:

http://ukpmc.ac.uk/abstract/MED/1432255
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jf00106a033

4- Saturated fat

The idea that saturated fat is bad persisted for long but I remember shaolin showing a meta study that denied this link. Shao can you put this up here again please?

4- Margarine

Some companies sell margarine as a healthy alternative to butter. Margarine is made by hydrogenation or interesterification of plant oils. These types of modified fats are very unhealthy, as any google scholar search will show you.

Is it possible to make margarine without these processes? How can one solidify plant oils at room temperature without such chemical processes?

What else have you guys heard or are interested in talking about? Any comments on above theories/myths?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

SHroomtroll
#2 Posted : 9/8/2012 2:42:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Good post endless, i just like to add that the problem with saturated fats is usually that people eat way to much saturated and not enough poly saturated and unsaturated, the optimal ratio is 1/1/1...

AlbertKLloyd
#3 Posted : 9/8/2012 3:49:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Seems accurate to me.
It is a good post.

I think more people should take an overt interest in their nutrition.

Shaolin
#4 Posted : 9/8/2012 8:56:47 PM

Stiletto Stoner

SHroomtroll wrote:
Good post endless, i just like to add that the problem with saturated fats is usually that people eat way to much saturated and not enough poly saturated and unsaturated, the optimal ratio is 1/1/1...

Polyunsaturated acids consist of various sub classes and very rarely there is problem with not enough PUFA (polyunsaturated fatty acids). PUFA/saturated fats ratio is probably heavily on the PUFA side with most people.

One of theories today is that excess Omega 6 (mass consumption of vegetable oils)or a bad Omega 6 and Omega 3 ratio is responsible for the health decline. I think this all started with William Lands' study of the Eskimos (who had no heart attacks, hypothesis being that Omega3 fatty acids act protectively)

6 - There is a condition called gluten sensitivity and it's more prevalent than celiac disease
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih...ding=f1000,f1000m,isrctn
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21224837
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih...pmc/articles/PMC1954879/

7 - Benefits of "Omega 3" fatty acids come mostly from EPA and DHA (fish) and not from ALA (hemp, seeds, etc)

Omega 3 content of seeds is just a sales tactic since ALA to DHA/EPA conversion is very low.

8 - Sunscreen is probably bad for you

How is the chemistry behind the argument, especially "strike two" part ? Benz, InMo, other chemically inclined peepz ?

Quote:

Often people point out articles that suggest that sunscreen may be bad for you. Or other people get all histerical and say we should be slathering ourselves in sunscreen - often with the argument that skin cancer has gone up so much since 19xx and that we need more sunscreen. I love how all of these arguments are things are getting worse, so lets try to do more of the same stuff that hasn't been working (or as I'd argue, makes things worse). Quick disclamer: I'm only talking about mechanisms here and trying to extrapolate to the effects on humans. I'm making no representation about our evolutionary adaptations to handle things. I'm just talking about the underlying chemistry.

Light that we see comes in many different "colors", we call them "red", "blue", "green", etc. Ultraviolet light also comes in may different "colors", the terms physicists use are "UVA", "UVB", "XUV", "VUV" (the atmosphere absorbs all of the XUV and VUV, so we don't encounter that in the real world). Not all sunscreen absorbs all colors of UV. They generally absorb the colors of UV that cause tanning and burning (because that's the observable that people care about), but they don't generally block the higher energy UV colors that actually cause the cancer. Because the effect of that isn't marketable, no one would know it's happening.

Without sunscreen, your skin "sees" some UV colors and starts to "tan". The tanning is your body's natural protection against the higher energy UV colors that cause the cancer. So as long as you're not out long enough to get burnt (actual skin damage), the tan protects you against the bad stuff.

Strike 1 against sunscreen: it stops the good stuff that promotes tanning and lets through the bad stuff that causes cancer (that our tan would protected us against if it was allowed to form).

Strike 2 against sunscreen: The UV that causes us to tan is the same color of UV that is used in the formation of Vit D which also protects against cancer.

Now, lets say that there was a magical sunscreen that blocked 100% of all colors of UV, would I feel comfortable using it? No. Here's why:

Sunscreen works by "absorbing" UV rays. How does it work. Well it's generally a long polycyclic aromatic with lots of conjugated double bonds. The UV light is resonate with the electronic transitions of the conjugated states. When the UV light hits the sunscreen molecule, it promotes an electron into a higher state which actually breaks one of the double bonds. Most of the time the sunscreen molecule will then shed that extra energy it just absorbed as heat and reconnect that double bond. But sometimes it won't and you'll be left with a free radical (you're probably aware that PUFAs are susceptible to oxidative damage - just image a sunscreen molecule as a more reactive PUFA). So when you started, you put a reasonably harmless chemical on your skin (or else the FDA wouldn't allow it to be sold), but it's interaction with light turns it into a potential carcinogen just like PUFAs and PAHs.

Strike 3 against sunscreen: The act of doing it's job (absorbing UV) turns it into a potential carcinogen which is now slathered over your largest organ.

About saturated fat. Some subclases can increase cholesterol values but the link between that and hard disease isn't really that strong.

Certain populations (Masaai, Kitavans) with great saturated fat intake live(d) free of heart attacks.

Meta analysis that end was talking about - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20071648

I think point number three is a misguided one. Plants don't want to be eaten. They want to live and they will defend. That's nature.

Secondary metabolite (shoutout to burnt !)
Plant defense against herbivory

Solanine is pretty much concentrated in the skin of the potato so peel them good !
Got GVG ? Mhm. Got DMT ?

Pandora wrote:
Nexus enjoys cutting edge and ongoing superior programming skills of the owner of this site (The Traveler), including recent switching to the .me domain name.

I'm still, I'm still Jenny from the block

Simon Jester wrote:
"WTF n00b, buy the $100 vapor pipe or GTFO"

Ignorance of the law does not protect you from prosecution

Wave Rider
#5 Posted : 9/9/2012 6:07:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Yay for debunking. Thumbs up

With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know. - Hunter S. Thompson

SHroomtroll
#6 Posted : 9/9/2012 9:41:23 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Shaolin wrote:
SHroomtroll wrote:

Polyunsaturated acids consist of various sub classes and very rarely there is problem with not enough PUFA (polyunsaturated fatty acids). PUFA/saturated fats ratio is probably heavily on the PUFA side with most people.

One of theories today is that excess Omega 6 (mass consumption of vegetable oils)or a bad Omega 6 and Omega 3 ratio is responsible for the health decline. I think this all started with William Lands' study of the Eskimos (who had no heart attacks, hypothesis being that Omega3 fatty acids act protectively)

6 - There is a condition called gluten sensitivity and it's more prevalent than celiac disease
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih...ding=f1000,f1000m,isrctn
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21224837
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih...pmc/articles/PMC1954879/

7 - Benefits of "Omega 3" fatty acids come mostly from EPA and DHA (fish) and not from ALA (hemp, seeds, etc)

Omega 3 content of seeds is just a sales tactic since ALA to DHA/EPA conversion is very low.

8 - Sunscreen is probably bad for you

How is the chemistry behind the argument, especially "strike two" part ? Benz, InMo, other chemically inclined peepz ?

Quote:

Often people point out articles that suggest that sunscreen may be bad for you. Or other people get all histerical and say we should be slathering ourselves in sunscreen - often with the argument that skin cancer has gone up so much since 19xx and that we need more sunscreen. I love how all of these arguments are things are getting worse, so lets try to do more of the same stuff that hasn't been working (or as I'd argue, makes things worse). Quick disclamer: I'm only talking about mechanisms here and trying to extrapolate to the effects on humans. I'm making no representation about our evolutionary adaptations to handle things. I'm just talking about the underlying chemistry.

Light that we see comes in many different "colors", we call them "red", "blue", "green", etc. Ultraviolet light also comes in may different "colors", the terms physicists use are "UVA", "UVB", "XUV", "VUV" (the atmosphere absorbs all of the XUV and VUV, so we don't encounter that in the real world). Not all sunscreen absorbs all colors of UV. They generally absorb the colors of UV that cause tanning and burning (because that's the observable that people care about), but they don't generally block the higher energy UV colors that actually cause the cancer. Because the effect of that isn't marketable, no one would know it's happening.

Without sunscreen, your skin "sees" some UV colors and starts to "tan". The tanning is your body's natural protection against the higher energy UV colors that cause the cancer. So as long as you're not out long enough to get burnt (actual skin damage), the tan protects you against the bad stuff.

Strike 1 against sunscreen: it stops the good stuff that promotes tanning and lets through the bad stuff that causes cancer (that our tan would protected us against if it was allowed to form).

Strike 2 against sunscreen: The UV that causes us to tan is the same color of UV that is used in the formation of Vit D which also protects against cancer.

Now, lets say that there was a magical sunscreen that blocked 100% of all colors of UV, would I feel comfortable using it? No. Here's why:

Sunscreen works by "absorbing" UV rays. How does it work. Well it's generally a long polycyclic aromatic with lots of conjugated double bonds. The UV light is resonate with the electronic transitions of the conjugated states. When the UV light hits the sunscreen molecule, it promotes an electron into a higher state which actually breaks one of the double bonds. Most of the time the sunscreen molecule will then shed that extra energy it just absorbed as heat and reconnect that double bond. But sometimes it won't and you'll be left with a free radical (you're probably aware that PUFAs are susceptible to oxidative damage - just image a sunscreen molecule as a more reactive PUFA). So when you started, you put a reasonably harmless chemical on your skin (or else the FDA wouldn't allow it to be sold), but it's interaction with light turns it into a potential carcinogen just like PUFAs and PAHs.

Strike 3 against sunscreen: The act of doing it's job (absorbing UV) turns it into a potential carcinogen which is now slathered over your largest organ.

About saturated fat. Some subclases can increase cholesterol values but the link between that and hard disease isn't really that strong.

Certain populations (Masaai, Kitavans) with great saturated fat intake live(d) free of heart attacks.

Meta analysis that end was talking about - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20071648

I think point number three is a misguided one. Plants don't want to be eaten. They want to live and they will defend. That's nature.

Secondary metabolite (shoutout to burnt !)
Plant defense against herbivory

Solanine is pretty much concentrated in the skin of the potato so peel them good !

Yeah this is alot better than what i said, was many years ago i read any nutrition stuff, Smile

Wax
#7 Posted : 9/10/2012 7:09:19 AM

LUVR

Shaolin wrote:

I was worried that I had crohns disease due to pain in my abdomen that became increasingly worse until I was unable to sleep at night because all I could do was put my head between my knees to try to curb the pain and running to the bathroom after every meal. I went to the doctor and without any tests he gave me a prescription antacid and told me it was an ulcer. I took the antacids for about three days and they weren't doing anything so I tossed them.

My dad was diagnosed with crohns years ago and has had many surgeries and medications that have yet to fix the problem, I am against pumping people full of medicines that only contribute to the problems and afraid of surgery, so I was determined to find a natural solution. I came across a web site about gluten intolerance and it said that many people are misdiagnosed with IBS or crohns when in reality it is a gluten sensitivity or allergy.

I figured what the heck, I will try anything at this point. Low and behold after the first day of not eating gluten I didn't have the intense cramping; I was still in pain but it had majorly subsided. I have been off gluten for a few months now and haven't had a pain since, I have lost a bit of fat, I was never over weight to begin with but just a little belly fat has visibly gone, and I feel slightly less sluggish.

I haven't been diagnosed by a doctor but I don't think there is any real test for gluten sensitivity anyway. I am afraid to eat gluten though even to see if that was the source of the problem, I don't want to go through that pain again.

I just wanted to testify for gluten sensitivity and let people know because I feel like finding that information saved me from a lifetime on meds and surgeries galore, maybe even my life.
'Little spider weaves a wispy web, stumblin' through the woods it catches to my head. She crawls behind my ear and whispers secrets. Dragonfly whiz by and sings now teach it.'