We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
Nutmeg Infused Olive Oil Options

oilman
#1 Posted : 8/16/2012 4:05:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Safety Note:
I looked long and hard to try and find someone that had done this before - couldn't find anything. This tek is going to make a strongly infused olive oil. Nutmeg can make you quite mad, so extreme caution should be used in dosing. Strength of the infusion will depend on freshness of the nuts, how old they are, environmental factors from their growth to your workspace, and other factors as yet unknown. Please be CAREFUL and safe.

Theory:
The volatile oils in nutmeg, which produce the trip, should dissolve in extra virgin olive oil. It would allow an easy method of ingestion of these oils, and could also be used for cooking teks (think nutmeg cookies, brownies, etc) without having the extremely strong taste of cooking with a lot of powdered nutmeg.

Setup:
- Whole nutmeg nuts, net weight 43g.
- Large bottle of extra virgin olive oil.
- Either the glass jar they come in or a suitable sealed container to make the infusion, such as a mason jar.

Process:
- Pour the olive oil into the glass container of nutmeg nuts. You want all the nuts to be completely submerged. I pushed down the top 2 nuts with a fork so that it was easier to cover the nuts.

- Place the glass jar of oil and nutmeg into a pot of hot water until it is warm to the touch and then remove from heat. This procedure allows you to heat the oil and nutmeg quickly, and speed up extraction time. The nuts are porous and will allow the nutmeg oils to mix with the olive oil.

- The oil will start to get hazy. It may also get a reddish tint with time.

- Shake often.

- After some length of time, taste 1 drop of the oil. If you feel mild nutmeg effects, you know you're ready to indulge.

Effects/Discussion
After letting the nutmeg sit for only 2 hours, I tried a few drops of the oil and already could feel some minor nutmeg effects. This stuff could be dangerous! I will let you know how it does in trials. Crying or very sad

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Eliyahu
#2 Posted : 8/16/2012 8:22:08 PM
סנדלפון

Nutmeg is horrible, dangerous and potentially fatal substance that has the potential to induce a coma. The only thing that I could think of that would be that sketchy, unpleasant and dangerous is Datura.

Not really sure why you would want to toy around with nutmeg considering the literal cornucopia of inexpensive, low toxicity and highly effective psychoactive compounds that are available on the internet as well as just out in nature.

here is a excerpt from an online encyclopedia about nutmeg and it's enchanting effects:

Quote:
In low doses, nutmeg produces no noticeable physiological or neurological response. Large doses of 60 g (~12 teaspoons) or more are dangerous, potentially inducing convulsions, palpitations, nausea, eventual dehydration, and generalized body pain (Demetriades et al. 2005). In amounts of 10-40 g (about four to eight teaspoons), it is a mild to medium hallucinogen, producing visual distortions and a mild euphoria. Nutmeg contains myristicin, a weak monoamine oxidase inhibitor.
A test was carried out on the substance that showed that, when ingested in large amounts, nutmeg takes on a similar chemical make-up to MDMA (ecstasy). However, use of nutmeg as a recreational drug is unpopular due to its unpleasant taste and its side effects, including dizziness, flushes, dry mouth, accelerated heartbeat, temporary constipation, difficulty in urination, nausea, and panic. A user will not experience a peak until approximately six hours after ingestion, and effects can linger for up to three days afterwards.
A risk in any large-quantity (over 25 g, about five teaspoons) ingestion of nutmeg is the onset of "nutmeg poisoning," an acute psychiatric disorder marked by thought disorder, a sense of impending doom/death, and agitation. Some cases have resulted in hospitalization. For such reasons, DeMilto and Frey state that nutmeg should be used with caution with patients with psychiatric illness.
Fatal doses in children are significantly lower, with an eight-year-old boy who consumed just two nutmegs falling into a coma and dying 20-hours later (Cushy 1908- .
Nutmeg is an abortifacient, and as such any significant doses should be avoided by pregnant women (Demetriades et al. 2005; DeMilto and Frey 2005).
DeMilto and Frey (2005) note that early symptoms of a nutmeg overdose (one to three nuts) are thirst, feeling of urgency, and nausea, and possible mild to intense hallucinations and a stupor that lasts from two to three days.
And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not percieve the plank in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, "brother let me remove the speck from your eye", when you yourself do not see the plank that is in your own eye?-Yeshua ben Yoseph

jamie
#3 Posted : 8/16/2012 10:02:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

Ive done it. It is not really great or with it IMO. It is your body and your mind. Nutmeg was used in the old world as a psychedelic and I think it is best used in very very light doses as an admixture to other herbal mixes. Dosing enough nutmeg alone to trip is dangerous. It is toxic and makes you feel like shit.
Long live the unwoke.

Kash
#4 Posted : 8/17/2012 5:06:20 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Chemistry and Programming

I like the innovative creative thinking. Try focusing it towards another substance. Smile
--------------------------------------------------*Kash's LSA Extraction* * Kash's Mescaline Extraction*------------------------------------------------------
All things I say are complete and utter ramblings of nonsense. Do not consider taking anything iterated from the depths of my subconsciousness rationally and/or seriously.

oilman
#5 Posted : 8/17/2012 3:24:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Couple of things. First off, the whole point in trying to extract the allyl benzene compounds (namely saffrole, myristicin, and elemicin) from the whole, unground nuts is to avoid the toxic products that are water soluble, known as the "nutmeg butter". These products do make you feel like complete shit. It's known, it sucks. I've taken nutmeg very many times. You feel like you have the flu for hours. But the psychedelic effect, which comes on for me after 5 hours, is really great in its own right. So to simply dismiss the substance out of hand is rash and has no real basis - it's an emotional reaction.

Toxicity studies have been mixed. If you actually look at the data in rats, the amount of elemicin and saffrole given were ridiculously high. So of course they caused toxicity. But historically, nutmeg was used in high doses as an aborfactant, but while these women became intoxicated, you don't see people dropping dead because of it. That is very, very rare.

Also, I tried 5mL of the oil yesterday after a 4 hour soak - I wanted to know it's potency. After 3 hours (whole nutmeg takes 5 in me so the shorter time frame caught me off guard) I felt amazing. I had very little body load. There was no red eyes, no flu like symptoms, no heaviness in the joints or muscle tension. I didn't have a headache and I didn't want to crawl into a whole. But I felt the good parts of nutmeg. I got a mental effect that was kind of a cross between mescaline and MDA. My heart raced and I felt very much like dancing and bouncing, but I also had this peaceful quality and geometric pattern visuals. Also, the experience didn't last 2 days - it lasted about 4 hours and it was done! No more infinite insanity. I would say the experience was a ++ , I could easily continue with my day but the effects were noticeable and very intriguing.

So I say to you all, sure, you don't have to like this stuff. But doing this extraction made it a lot better. It might not be for you, and I still have to figure out my own dosing and how the extract effects me. But in my opinion, it is an area that hasn't really been explored, and it deserves at least my attention. And this setup might benefit someone, somewhere. As long as they understand the risks of unknown potency, dosing, potential OD's, etc.

SHroomtroll
#6 Posted : 8/17/2012 3:44:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I for one think its great that someone tries to refine a sketchy plant like nutmeg, seems to be something in that is worth researching.

Harm reduction at its best.

jamie
#7 Posted : 8/17/2012 5:15:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

I always thought the myristicin was toxic, but you dont think it is?
Long live the unwoke.

SnozzleBerry
#8 Posted : 8/17/2012 5:28:55 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Possible Implication Of Myristicin As A Psychotropic Substance - By Dr. Alexander Shulgin

Came across this in my T. methystica research...not sure if it's of any interest to people in this thread.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

oilman
#9 Posted : 8/17/2012 7:05:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Great article. This one was written a year later, and speaks about all the possible reasons for the effect. Shulgin seems to think at that point that elemicin was responsible, but that was never confirmed. His theory that amphetamines are created in vivo has been discredited by urine analysis in both rats and people, which found no amphetamine metabolites. But the concept that some other compound is being made in the body seems pretty likely, considering it takes a few hours for the stuff to work.

Ok, after letting the infusion sit for 24 hours, I tried half the previous dose (2.5 mL, about 1 tablespoon of infused oil). After the same 3 hours, I felt the effects much more strongly. I am feeling it heavy right now, and haven't peaked yet. Again, I have no dry mouth, no muscle soreness, no red eyes, but the world looks dreamlike, I see trails, I have a ton of energy, and I feel my sex drive at 10x normal.

I took 5ml off the current infusion to save so I can compare potency later. I topped up the oil (there is about 3/4 cup of oil in the infusion) and added 20 drops of lime essential oil (which contains a good amount of limonene) to the infusion to aid in the extraction. I will let the infusion continue for 2 more weeks before assessing new potency.

I find this experiment very promising. This extraction is simple and completely legal everywhere but Saudi Arabia.

EDIT: Corroboration would be great at some point, provided that the individual doing this understands risks, effects, etc. I would be happy to share my nutmeg knowledge with anyone.

PsilocybeChild
#10 Posted : 8/17/2012 9:05:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm very interested in this. Thanks for sharing! Smile
only 4 hours! that sounds a great improvement.
―λlτεrηιτγ→
Kambo.me Forum
​Internet Security Walk-Through
[url=https://kambo.me/smf/index.php?topic=395.0]Tobacco Disinformation

PM me about personal Herbalist consultations.
Can do it over PMs as to not reveal personal information.

oilman
#11 Posted : 8/17/2012 10:40:47 PM

DMT-Nexus member

4 hour soak, lasted roughly 4 hours plus an hour or two comedown.

I took a tablespoon today after it had soaked for 24 hours - It was strong for about 5 hours, and I'm starting to come down now (about T +5:30). So the exact timing is not worked out yet, but figuring it out.

oilman
#12 Posted : 8/19/2012 4:27:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Jamie, one study showed liver toxicity, but two others showed liver protection. Ask it probably depends on the dose. Obviously to much of anything is bad for the body but in lower amounts, not being done every day, I don't think you would have problems.

I took double the dose, 5ml of the 24 hour soak. Effects started in 2 hours. They became wire strong in the third hour and stayed for 6. The physical excitement ended then, but I still had visual distortions through the next day. It was manageable, but higher doses seem to linger so take this into account.

Entropymancer
#13 Posted : 9/2/2012 11:16:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumExtraordinary knowledge | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumModerator | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumChemical expert | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorumSenior Member | Skills: Information Location, Salvia divinorum

Nutmeg is probably a bad idea. Check out this post (a very informative copy-paste of a Shroomery post that isn't indexed by Google). It argues convincingly that Shulgin's hypothesis regarding nutmeg could very well be mistaken, and that the primary psychoactivity might instead be due to camphene... a fairly toxic compound.

Zaka
#14 Posted : 9/6/2012 3:27:55 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Irie,
So one or two things here;
When you suggest "whole nut"....What does that mean???
The nut has a soft yellow fruit covering, that splits when ripe exposing the casing of mace (the aril), then there is the shell, then when you crack the shell, within you'll find the nut!
I use freshly grated nutmeg in the morning cocoa tea and a little "je ne sais quoi" in a spag.Bolog!!!
I would think the aril maybe more worthy of some serious investigation, rather than some dusty old nuts!

Respect,
Z

oilman
#15 Posted : 9/21/2012 2:20:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Camphene is not camphor. They are related compounds in that they are both terpenes but they are not the same thing. Look at this link at PubChem. Trials were done on human skin and cells and found no irritation or toxicity at low exposure. LD50 in rats was 5g/kg - not very toxic to rats. There isn't much data on fatal overdoses in humans that I could find.

I seriously doubt that camphene could produce nutmeg intoxication. People work with camphene as food additives all the time, and it is easily absorbed through the skin. I think we'd know about it.

oilman
#16 Posted : 9/21/2012 2:22:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

zaka, the nut without mace, as sold at the market.

FYI - soaking the same nuts in everclear (95% ethanol by volume) will also get a good extraction. Just don't drink too much!

lsDxMdmaddicThc
#17 Posted : 8/11/2015 2:41:57 AM

The future's uncertain and The End is always near.

I soaked a full jar of almost 2oz Whole Nutmeg in Pure Olive Oil (a mix of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Olive Oil) for almost a week. Occasionally I would heat it in a pot of hot water like you said.
The oil is still not red, it is only slightly cloudy.

I used an eyedropper to dose 0.5mL of the oil sublingually at 9:37PM
It tastes moderately of Nutmeg
I will report back if I get any effects. I weigh about 160lbs and I just took a tab of LSD yesterday.
Heaven existing here between Hell

We surf the transient wave, balancing on our breath, building and destroying until death.

We are the divine creators and destroyers.
We are the portals & black holes.
We choose what we manifest at the present moment in whatever dimension we inhabit.
"We are the ones we've been waiting for" - Hopi Proverb

DMT_Tom
#18 Posted : 8/11/2015 4:28:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Eliyahu wrote:
Nutmeg is horrible, dangerous and potentially fatal substance that has the potential to induce a coma. The only thing that I could think of that would be that sketchy, unpleasant and dangerous is Datura.

Not really sure why you would want to toy around with nutmeg considering the literal cornucopia of inexpensive, low toxicity and highly effective psychoactive compounds that are available on the internet as well as just out in nature.

What are those readily available psychoactive compounds? I have not had much luck finding legal psychoactive... other than say datura which is a WHOLE new level.

[My nutmeg dosage is between 1.5 and 2 whole nuts, peak effects 8-12 hours, residual grogginess 24-48 hours]

Readers, nutmeg has been pretty awesome for me. It's the type of experience that cannot be easily abused (a big plus of me), but delivers satisfying trips every once in awhile! I have used nutmeg as an "ally" for certain things VERY occasionally over the past several years. Two nuts really gets you buzzing and sedated. Llast time I did it, I studied my ass off for a final exam instead of going out with friends (felt unsafe to drive), and it worked super well.

BEST LUCK with the olive oil extraction!!! I have decided that just eating the nutmeg raw is the way I do it, as part of the 'negative reinforcement,' and as part of the uniqueness of the nutmeg experience. I have written a few nutmeg trip reports over the past few years.

The first nutmeg trip was so positive: it caused intense giddiness and very real auditory hallucinations, and the giddiness and laughter lasted the entire next day. I've also had some very sad, emotional nutmeg trips. What's always there is the bodily relaxation and intense sedation/aphrodisiac sensations Razz

“You, of all people, deserve your own love and affection.” -Buddha

For God so loved the world...
God is Love

lsDxMdmaddicThc
#19 Posted : 8/11/2015 4:36:54 AM

The future's uncertain and The End is always near.

I am feeling quite nice now almost 2 hours later.
It is physically sedating, slightly dry mouth. Vision blurred slightly too.
Mentally, I feel a bit "stoned" but energetic, slightly euphoric and stimulated.
I can feel the giddiness deep inside, but it is late at night so I am relaxed and content. Smile

There is a trip report on Erowid written by an experienced frequent user of Nutmeg.
It's almost an FAQ. I'm not going to try the coffee preparation though...
https://www.erowid.org/e...riences/exp.php?ID=17568

From what I've gathered : if you stay hydrated and find a good dose you will increase your chances of having a positive experience.

The Oil seems to be working! Very mild. I am getting Nutmeg burps, but it isn't unpleasantly strong tasting.
I am very optimistic about this approach and I will try a larger dosage soon.

Heaven existing here between Hell

We surf the transient wave, balancing on our breath, building and destroying until death.

We are the divine creators and destroyers.
We are the portals & black holes.
We choose what we manifest at the present moment in whatever dimension we inhabit.
"We are the ones we've been waiting for" - Hopi Proverb

DMT_Tom
#20 Posted : 8/11/2015 8:18:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Very nice. Seems like you enjoy Nutmeg too Very happy I haven't tried lower doses than 1 nut, but it is very pleasant but long-lasting.

Sometimes physical exercise is easier due to the lack of pain. I used to do "nutmeg pushups" and even though my body felt like it had a fever, I could deal with the pain so easily and keep going.

I also found that it was easier to play dance games while slightly under the influence of nutmeg for the first 8 hours.. my coordination and relaxation and stamina increased!

Happy nut-megging
“You, of all people, deserve your own love and affection.” -Buddha

For God so loved the world...
God is Love

12NEXT