We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Really easy Sodium carbonate + IPA mimosa tek Options

PlainCoil
#1 Posted : 7/14/2011 7:46:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

This is a really simple method SWIM has been experimenting with lately. Right now the yield seems a little low, but that could be for a number of factors, like weak mhrb perhaps...

Essentially though, it goes like this:

250g powdered MHRB is added to ~250g sodium carbonate. Sodium carbonate can be found at some wal mart stores as brew-rite coffee machine cleaner, incidentally...

This is hydrated but not made watery, a la most CaOH teks. It should be a little chunkier than liquidy however. Time is allowed for the reaction to take place, and lots of 91-99% IPA is added (SWIM used 91%). This is shaken and allowed to settle.

The IPA pours off quite easily if the mix is chunky enough. Filtered through a coffee filter and evaporated to yield a reddish brown freebase oil contaminated with excess sodium carbonate.

It is re-dissolved in warm 91% IPA (99% would be ideal here...) to remove the insoluble sodium carbonate, then evaporated to reveal a purer freebase oil. This oil should be good to go, and SWIM believes it is full-spectrum, including jungle spices. SWIM melted and allowed a little to vaporize on some glass - old familiar spice smell...

From here, SWIM re-dissolved the goop into some FASI, which left a really clean looking insoluble fumarate salt. The FASI was evaporated then washed with MEK to remove insoluble excess fumaric acid. MEK evaporated leaving a yellowish oily substance.

Any tips or suggestions? What was the yellow oily stuff SWIM was left with after the final MEK wash?

This seems like a really easy, cheap way to get some good product. It bypasses the use of a non-polar, and is totally food-safe if one has no need for the MEK step.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

Seraph
#2 Posted : 7/14/2011 9:13:19 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Have you ever heard of Lazyman's Tek? It is on the Wiki, it is just like your tek but uses a stronger base (sodium hydroxide) and a more selective extraction solvent (naphtha).

PlainCoil
#3 Posted : 7/14/2011 9:51:50 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah, of course Razz

This method is meant to avoid the use of petro-chems like naphtha and extremely caustic bases like lye.

Evaporating naphtha = Sad

jamie
#4 Posted : 7/14/2011 10:11:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

this was one of the first teks I ever did, except I added an acid water pull at the start. I started with 3 vinegar water boils on the bark, and then collected them, filtered and evaporated. The acid water pulls were evaporated into a sparkly purple dust, which was then based with sodium carbonate and water, then left to react and then dried. The resulting dry freebase powder was then pulled 3 times with 99% iso and well filtered.

The end product was a dark goo, but it was definatily very active and still easy to break through with. I made changa with it and it was easier to smoke that way. It was less pure than limo extracted spice and smoked a bit harsher, but definatily potent enough. Once I started to extract with np solvents I obviousily swtched over to other teks, but if I couldnt get ahold of limo or other suitable solvents I would use this tek again. It works great for changa.

I also found that if I use hot iso to pull with it pulls much more...heating iso though is something you must be very careful doing and never with open flame.etc..get a hot place for that..
Long live the unwoke.

PlainCoil
#5 Posted : 7/18/2011 6:26:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Huh... wonder why this isn't a more popular method....

It works fantastically. SWIM now has 1.8g of red FB oil, with more evapping from this 250g extraction. The product works great, and it seems to be identical to the 'jimjam' obtained using q21q21's vinegar salting/heat freebasing method.

Fun stuff... SWIM is glad he doesn't have to spend tons of $$ on limo for a good foodsafe extraction.

PlainCoil
#6 Posted : 7/21/2011 7:27:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yield is now reported to be ~4.3g red jimjam spice from 250g MHRB.

That's not too bad at all.... SWIM has bioassayed the results by vaporizing <50mg to good and expected effect.

It should also be mentioned that SWIM only had about 2g from doing 2 room temperature pulls on the material. But when he left the mixture sitting in the hot sun all day it pulled over 2.5g more FB - just as potent and active, but with a slightly darker color.

SWIM would modify the tek to include a step with heated IPA, but this adds an element of danger to the process. A safe way to do this could be to get some water boiling, then remove it from the flame and place the extraction vessel with fresh IPA into the hot water (in another room), and keep it lightly covered to prevent too much evaporation. Replacing hot water as it cools, of course...

jamie
#7 Posted : 7/21/2011 8:37:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

"Huh... wonder why this isn't a more popular method...."

Q21's tek does pull a purer product in my experiene. Iso pulls more fats and oils than salting DMT out of a non polar solvent I find. If you do it right with iso though, it is still potent enough to break through for sure.

The thing people have to understand is, you cannot just mix base into the bark and then dump in some iso for a pull, evap that and smoke it. That will not cut it at all. If you are going to use alcohol to pull spice, you have to do some other time consuming thing in order to get something more refined to then go and pull with iso..like how you redissolved the frist iso extract in more iso..IME that must be done because it removes more than just excess sodium carb.

It does come out very similar to the product of the q21 tek..just a bit less impure I think...I have given spice extracted with water and vinegar washes that were evapped and based and then pulled a few times with iso and filtered to people and never heard anyone complain when it is made into changa. Everyone breaks through.

Long live the unwoke.

PlainCoil
#8 Posted : 7/21/2011 11:35:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Interesting....

Yeah, the product does seem to be of pretty high quality. SWIM doesn't use spice very often, and has only sampled q21 style jim-jam two or three times. He finds this to be identical, but he is really not much of a spice connoisseur.

He has been thinking of reasonable ways to purify the end result or perhaps separate the n,n DMT from the other alkaloids. Any suggestions? Dissolving in FASI seems to work, but SWIM doesn't want to have to convert everything to fumarate salts for this. He wonders if cleaning it with another solvent like bestine or heptane might do the trick?

Guardian
#9 Posted : 11/25/2011 10:42:16 PM

alien ambassador

nice work plaincoil!
i often wondered whether IPA would be a suitable, if not preferable solvent for those who cannot obtain the common NPS. May i ask how much alcohol you used for each pull, and whether heat may be applied to expedite evaporation?
The more you try to know, the more mysterious life gets..

smri
#10 Posted : 11/29/2011 1:02:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yes nice Plain! I like this tek and would also really like to try what you just mentioned- do the 'impurer' ISO pulls then re-x with heptane. Seems like the best eco-mpromise yet.

amor_fati
#11 Posted : 11/29/2011 9:32:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

SWIM experimented with pulling from veggie oil with IPA (since they separate) and noticed a strange yellow oil with a very distinct odor upon evaporation. He's been wondering about that, as well, but he doesn't think he would be satisfied leaving it in the product.

This is basically traditional drytek minus the drying (possibly the biggest shortcoming of the old experiments, hence the more recent limteks for lime's more hygroscopic properties) and acetone (usually interchangeable with IPA as a matter of preference). Fumaric could be used to precipitate a pure product almost instantly from the original extraction so long as the the solvent is properly desiccated (after the flush would forgo the need to dry the whole mixture, since one runs the risk of interrupting basification when doing so).

MEK is not necessary, as one can utilize the differences of solubility between fumaric (very nonpolar) and fumarates (very polar) in water to yield a very pure product with no toxics locked in the crystal lattice: https://wiki.dmt-nexus.me/Purifi...f_Spice_Fumarate_Product. Plus IPA may also be used by thoroughly mixing the fumarates into heated IPA, allowing to settle then straining, but SWIM prefers using water.

ps
The heptane re-x from the initial evap seems sound enough.

damon
#12 Posted : 11/29/2011 9:54:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

By using 91% IPA, you are adding water which both helps and hurts. It helps with basification, because with the usual dryteks, after washing with acetone/IPA, you need to dry it out, wet it, basify, at least twice to get a decent yield. By having the water in IPA, you are allowing the basification to continue uninterrupted. The water is hurting your purity. If you could use dry IPA, or even a heptane re-x like Guardian suggested, on your final product, it would be more pure. The water will dissolve impurities, including the sodium carbonate, so it will be hard to get it pure without using pure nonpolar solvents.

I don't experiment so much with bark any more, a straight lye STB works the best for me. But I have been thinking of trying something like this on cactus, using lye after IPA soaks, but not basing before. IPA works great for making cactus resin, but I'd still like to purify it some more. But mescaline salts will dissolve easily in IPA, not so much the spice salts.

I didn't realize I was in "eco-friendly" till after, but I'm posting anyway...take it for what it's worth...

amor_fati
#13 Posted : 11/30/2011 8:28:40 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

damon wrote:
By using 91% IPA, you are adding water...

If I read right, he never dries the mixture in the first place (limtek-style), so the concentration of IPA makes practically no difference, as it will likely come out with some moisture no matter what. It's even possible that some moisture from the IPA would be retained with an excess of sodium carb in the mix; possibly not though...wouldn't bank on it.

I strongly believe that heptane is the way to go with this style of tek, and that a every bit as pure as any other tek utilizing the solvent could be obtained in the bare minimum amount of time. I would suggest substituting in lime for sodium carb, however; I'm not certain how well it would work with IPA, but it's a stronger base and holds water quite a bit better. If it all works as well as I'm guessing, I'd like to include it as an option in the compendium (substituting IPA for oils and taking the alternative crystallization route).

flickedbic
#14 Posted : 11/30/2011 2:54:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Nice looking tek.

That tip on cutting out the MEK is greatly appreciated amor_fati; also: Might Calcium carbonate work with IPA (stronger base to substitute for Sodium carbonate)?

Blessings.
All readable matter in the above post is ficticious.

Any similarities to real life are purely coincidental.

Without prejudice.

slewb
#15 Posted : 5/2/2012 7:57:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Might one be able to remove some of the base after the alkaloids have been freebased and before pulling with IPA by doing a couple of pulls with just water?

downwardsfromzero
#16 Posted : 8/7/2012 6:14:15 PM

Boundary condition

ModeratorChemical expert

flickedbic wrote:
[...] Might Calcium carbonate work with IPA (stronger base to substitute for Sodium carbonate)?

Calcium carbonate is not a stronger base than sodium carbonate. Did you mean potassium carbonate? If so, then yes.

“There is a way of manipulating matter and energy so as to produce what modern scientists call 'a field of force'. The field acts on the observer and puts him in a privileged position vis-à-vis the universe. From this position he has access to the realities which are ordinarily hidden from us by time and space, matter and energy. This is what we call the Great Work."
― Jacques Bergier, quoting Fulcanelli