We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
IPA hash oil? Options

Parshvik Chintan
#1 Posted : 7/15/2012 9:43:06 PM

DMT-Nexus member

so i cleaned my bong with some 99% IPA the other night, and i noticed a deep amberish red color, so i decided to see if i could evap it to get some decent hash oil.

however i was told by a friend that every hash oil made with IPA had a certain disgusting taste to it, and that he doesn't think it evaps cleanly.

this doesn't seem to make sense, seeing as how everyone uses it for changa. is it just that when you use it to infuse herbs, there is so much little that trace amounts after evap are negligible?
or is it more likely that my friend never had hash oil that had the IPA properly evapped out of it?
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!
ๆจน

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Mitakuye Oyasin
#2 Posted : 7/16/2012 1:43:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Personally I'd never use IPA for any smoking mixture, especially hash. That said, people do it all the time. Quiso or quick-iso wash is popular by a lot of people for stripping the actives from plant matter and making hash. I don't even clean my glass pipes with IPA anymore, because I could notice a bad taste. I only use pure grain alcohol or limonene for cleaning my glass. Pure grain alcohol (Everclear) works just as good if not better than IPA and if some residue is left over after evap at least it is a lot less toxic than IPA. Just my opinion though.
Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous.
โ€” Terence McKenna

All my posts are hypothetical and for educational/entertainment purposes, and are not an endorsement of said activities. SWIM (a fictional character based on other people) either obtained a license for said activity, did said activity where it is legal to do so, or as in most cases the activity is completely fictional.

The Day Tripper
#3 Posted : 7/16/2012 2:12:56 AM

Rennasauce Man

Location: A Pale Blue Dot orbiting a GV2 Yellow Dwarf fusion powered Luminous Ball of Plasma at 30km/s
Iso, and other alcohols for that matter, pull alot of chlorophyll and other less non-polar stuff. Imho, thats what makes it taste bad. Back in the day i used to get oil from a guy who made it with iso, and it was some of the best tasting and smoking/vaping oil i've ever had.

The trick is, very quick washes on frozen bud, with as dry as you can find ice-cold iso. Stick it all in the freezer, and once its frozen, pour iso into your bud jar and swirl it around for 30-45 seconds. Then pour if off through a filter.

After your done pulling and have evaporated your iso, wash it with warm distilled water. It should pull a bit of crap out of the oil if there is any, and heating the oil up should free up any residual iso to either evap or dissolve in the distilled water.

Thats how i make hash oil from my ABV (already been vaped Razz), and its pretty good stuff. Not butane good, but nice. I've also used heptane to make hash and vac purged the oil to make sure theres no leftover heptane in it. That was good hash, on par with butane imho. And since heptane is totally non-polar you don't have to worry about chlorophyll and other crap.

The difference between good iso hash and bad stuff is almost always the color, if its not green and amber/transparent you did good. If its green/black and not-transparent chances are its going to taste pretty awful.
"let those who have talked to the elves, find each other and band together" -TMK

In a society in which nearly everybody is dominated by somebody else's mind or by a disembodied mind, it becomes increasingly difficult to learn the truth about the activities of governments and corporations, about the quality or value of products, or about the health of one's own place and economy.
In such a society, also, our private economies will depend less upon the private ownership of real, usable property, and more upon property that is institutional and abstract, beyond individual control, such as money, insurance policies, certificates of deposit, stocks, etc. And as our private economies become more abstract, the mutual, free helps and pleasures of family and community life will be supplanted by a kind of displaced citizenship and by commerce with impersonal and self-interested suppliers...
The great enemy of freedom is the alignment of political power with wealth. This alignment destroys the commonwealth - that is, the natural wealth of localities and the local economies of household, neighborhood, and community - and so destroys democracy, of which the commonwealth is the foundation and practical means.โ€ - Wendell Berry

Yerba
#4 Posted : 7/16/2012 3:23:48 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I concur with The Day Tripper; quick washes with cold iso yield good, honey-like product. Even an ounce of heady stems is worth running.

It shouldn't come out green/black with this method, but this stuff doesn't necessarily smoke bad and is still good for edibles. In either case, be sure to evaporate all the alcohol cleanly.

I wouldn't smoke accumulated bong resin, but ISO + salt (especially larger grained salt like kosher salt) is the best way to clean them. I suppose it would be possible to filter the tar and nasty half-burnt bits out with something like a carbon filter?