We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Teflon? Options

Spiritesseract
#1 Posted : 7/15/2012 7:59:24 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Can you use Teflon coated pots for an extraction?
It is the 'Poor Mans Dmt tek no lye/naphtha.
All I have is Teflon coated pots and I know you shouldn't use Teflon for aya.. But for a freebase extraction?

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

rabies_70
#2 Posted : 7/15/2012 8:08:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I wouldn't use teflon for ANYTHING if it were up to me Dangers of Teflon
Ray

Parshvik Chintan
#3 Posted : 7/15/2012 10:29:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

rabies_70 wrote:
I wouldn't use teflon for ANYTHING if it were up to me

sic erat scriptum
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

Spiritesseract
#4 Posted : 7/15/2012 11:08:51 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Yeah I wish that's not what I had too.. Do you know of any easy cold water extractions? I also don't have any lye.. So my options I'm sure are very limited

endlessness
#5 Posted : 7/15/2012 11:25:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Teflon, or PTFE, is routinely used in lab material, for example stopcock of separatory funnels. It is very resistant to most acids, bases, solvents, etc. No need to be unreasonably affraid of chemicals.

Nevertheless im not sure if for some reason cooking pot's teflon is weaker. I guess it's fine if it isnt scratched or heated above 200c, thats the only real issue from it. But I would check with InMotion or Benzyme or Dr Sister or another of our chemists just to be sure cooking pot teflon isnt somehow different than lab material PTFE.

In any case, cant you buy some stainless steel and/or glass?

benzyme
#6 Posted : 7/16/2012 12:02:46 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

teflon is teflon is teflon. polytetrafluoroethylene. don't scrape the pan with metal utensils, it's common sense.

that being said, that link is typical fear mongering by sites which are selling alternatives..i.e. it's a marketing scheme.
PTFE is inert, and will not react with acid or base, and is even resistant to acetone, naphtha, and hippy limonene. I'd use teflon labware if I had any, my sep funnel has a teflon stopcock, and I run nothing but basic water and dcm through it. HPLCs commonly use teflon tubing.
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Spiritesseract
#7 Posted : 7/16/2012 6:47:37 AM
DMT-Nexus member

So I guess I'm fine to use a Teflon pot for bringing a mix to a simmer? That's pretty great news! I guess I didn't fully think through to the fact that the acetone will actually not be heated. Although I suppose you could anyway. Thanks for all of the wisdom! Getting through to truth can be a huge pain in the neck! Thanks again Big grin

endlessness
#8 Posted : 7/16/2012 9:12:59 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Acetone ? Why? What are you going to do?

And for the love of god, do NOT heat up a flammable solvent like acetone directly, even if you have some water in between. Please read the FAQ on how to safely heat up solvents.

LetSoulsDevour
#9 Posted : 7/16/2012 1:09:14 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Teflon will only become dangerous if 36 of them are heated up to 400c simultaneously so no need to worry about that.

r2pi
#10 Posted : 7/16/2012 2:39:19 PM
DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
teflon is teflon is teflon.

Yes, but a lot of non-stick coatings are not Teflon.

PFTE is indeed very non-reactive so I wouldn't worry about it in labware.

On the other hand, in cookware where you have abrasion and temperature working against you ... my choice is to steer clear. In my view there is a big difference between something that can corrode tissue (HCl, NaOH, ...) and something like PFOA (and, probably, other PFTE pyrolysis products) which causes birth defects, cancer, endocrine disruption and is a persistent, bioaccumulated pollutant. Organic chemicals carry more insidious risks.

(Learn to cook properly and you don't need the crap anyway. And you save waste.. that crap falls off (and you eat it - yum yum) every few years anyway.. chuck it in a landfill and buy a new one, or keep using the same steel pan for a lifetime? I know which one is my choice.)

Spiritesseract
#11 Posted : 7/16/2012 6:32:59 PM
DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
Acetone ? Why? What are you going to do?

And for the love of god, do NOT heat up a flammable solvent like acetone directly, even if you have some water in between. Please read the FAQ on how to safely heat up solvents.

The acetone will not be heated at all.. No worries there.