We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Mimosa Identification? Please Options

DickSwellington
#1 Posted : 7/7/2012 8:16:01 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Just realized that the tree i have growing out in the front lawn may be something useful other then covering my car in shit when it is windy. Attached is a picture of the flowers. Tree seems to go to sleep at night and closes all its lil leaves. kinda cool.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Ambivalent
#2 Posted : 7/7/2012 9:43:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Looks very much like Albizia Julibrissin, but i am judging only by the flowers... i am no botanist to tell you with 100 % certainty.
In any case Albizia is also interesting plant, it is rather unresearched. if you, by any chance decide to make a test extraction, please report the results back.. it will be wonderfull contribution, imo..

good luck

Vodsel
#3 Posted : 7/7/2012 9:59:23 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Filmmaking and Storytelling, Video and Audio Technology, Teaching, Gardening, Languages (Proficient Spanish, Catalan and English, and some french, italian and russian), Seafood cuisine

^^ yes, it is Albizia Julibrissin. I often see them in my city.

As far as I know, no psychedelic tryptamines have been found in it, but the flowers have been brewed and used as a tea in eastern medicine. Some alkaloid in it is a 5-HT 1A agonist with antidepressant effects, some ethnobotanical suppliers sell it labeled as "Happiness Tree".