We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
A (not so well known) sterile technique tip Options

Adivino
#1 Posted : 2/20/2012 8:44:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Some old books on micropropagation suggest the following tip (which some consider old-school). I've been told it works quite well if one doesn't have a hood with a HEPA filter.

One basically works near the flame of a burner (bunsen or alcohol), creating an upward current of hot air that prevents spores and bacteria from falling into the culture media. The flame should ideally be as near as possible from the media.

I say culture media, but you might as well use it when making a spore syringe from a print. The moments when you open the lid of your sterile flask are critical and this could aid a bit.

This works, of course, in addition to more general aseptic techniques, and the burner comes very handy for flame sterilizing tweezers, knives, needles, etc.
The text above was typed by frenzy monkeys randomly hitting their keyboards.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Felnik
#2 Posted : 2/20/2012 9:06:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I ve used the kitchen oven door open on lowest settig before .
Does create a nice warm upward airflow .
The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
Arthur C. Clarke

http://vimeo.com/32001208

Hyperdimensional Cuttlefish
#3 Posted : 2/20/2012 11:32:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Great idea. I will recommend this to a friend who grabbed some wild spores and wants to propogate.
All these posts are on behalf of Stimpy, my yellow bullhead. He is an adventurous fish, and I feel his exploits are worth sharing...so much so, I occasionally forget that HE is the one who does these things. Sometimes I get caught in the moment and write of his experiences in the first person; this is a mistake, for I am an upstanding citizen who never does wrong. Stimpy is the degenerate.

beandip
#4 Posted : 3/18/2012 2:07:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Felnik I read on another board about that tek and used it despite some people saying that it would not decrease problems of mold. I tried with and without many times and I couldn't agree with you more - it was a staple of all my cultivation.
MIND YOU THIS IS AN ENTIRE WORK OF FICTION FOR A FANTASTIC NOVEL I AM WORKING ON - THESE ARE MERELY STORIES TO ENTERTAIN AND ARE OF NO RESEMBLANCE TO ANY LIVING OR HISTORICAL PERSONS

Dante
#5 Posted : 3/18/2012 5:35:29 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I use a homemade glove box. I always spray some Oust inside of it 30min prior the use and I never got any contamination.

Do you know this technique? I would like to give it a try.
Listen to a man of experience: thou wilt learn more in the woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach thee more than thou canst acquire from the mouth of a master. St. Bernard

Macre
#6 Posted : 3/18/2012 4:27:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Adivino wrote:
One basically works near the flame of a burner (bunsen or alcohol), creating an upward current of hot air that prevents spores and bacteria from falling into the culture media. The flame should ideally be as near as possible from the media.

Great technique, and easily implemented. Thank you for sharing.

Dante wrote:
I use a homemade glove box. I always spray some Oust inside of it 30min prior the use and I never got any contamination.

Yes always a good call. A home made glove box is a simple and effective way of controlling contamination. Oust is cool, but if you can get your hands on an antimicrobial sanitiser, this should eleviate the threat of mold spores. Though if it's used too liberally, it could possibly also kill shroom spores Sad

Peace

Macre

All things stated within this website by myself are expressly intended for entertainment purposes only.

All people in general, and users of this site are encouraged by myself, other members, and DMT-Nexus, to know and abide by the laws of the jurisdiction in which they are situated.

I, other members, and DMT-Nexus, do not condone or encourage the use, supply, or production of illegal drugs or controlled substances in any way whatsoever.

Adivino
#7 Posted : 6/30/2012 2:54:13 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I think that using a glovebox with HEPA (at least for amateurs) is an exaggeration. Using this simple technique I've grown mycelium on 5 MEA petri dishes with no contamination.
The text above was typed by frenzy monkeys randomly hitting their keyboards.

SHroomtroll
#8 Posted : 6/30/2012 12:11:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ive had alot of wetspot problems(well over 50% of jars) but since i stated using a verm layer in the bottom and on top of the substarte it has been all good.

Im also building a glove box soon.

CosmicLion
#9 Posted : 6/30/2012 4:40:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Most excellent!

Can add this to the list of apocalyptic lab techniques.

It's always nice not to be dependent on equipment or chemicals!

Cultivate Yeast -> Distill Rubbing Alcohol -> Gas Flame Lamp!!

I like techniques which can be created full-circle. Big grin
-Eternally Romping the Astral Savannahlands-