We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
How likely is contamination? Options

ethnosplendor
#1 Posted : 6/13/2012 4:59:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello,

I am curious to know how likely it is that the spore syringe I have is contaminated or how likely it is that the syringe will become contaminated. For starters I order one spore culture in a sealed syringe and one all in one grow bag. I prepared the area by spraying 70% isoprop alcohol both on my gloves, the surrounding work area, on the injection site and in the air, and wore a mask. Next I injected some of the spore culture into the all in one grow bag then cleaned the needle cap and wiped the needle clean and placed the cap over the needle. Then I placed the syringe in a plastic zip-lock bag and then placed the bag into a sealed tupaware container to be placed in my fridge. I am hoping to use this same spore culture to inject some more all in one grow bags that are on the way.
1. What are your thoughts?
2. Is it likely my spore culture syringe is already contaminated?
4. Should I use it on the other bags?
5. If it isn't contaminated, is it likely to become contaminated?
6. How can I prevent this? (Both now and in the future)

Thank you!

-Ethno

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

jamie
#2 Posted : 6/13/2012 6:10:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

IMO make sokme liqiod culture. I had contam 2 times prior..until this time when I made liquid culture and then used that to innolculate. I have no contam in my jars now only mycelium. Making lc to then innoculat with seems to lessen the threat of contam because the myc colonizes so much faster. The spores dont need to germinate so they start colonizing right away and contams dont have enough time to take hold.

Just make sure when you use that syringe again you sterlize the tip before use.
Long live the unwoke.

ethnosplendor
#3 Posted : 6/14/2012 3:52:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thanks Jamie, so in your opinion, my syringe should be fine?

damon
#4 Posted : 6/14/2012 4:28:36 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The most important thing is to not suck up any air into the needle. Flame sterilize the needle and it should be fine. Alcohol will not kill whatever might have gotten into the inside of the needle.

I agree with Jamie, make a few LCs and you can be better assured that you don't have contamination, and they will be growing while you wait. Half-pint or smaller is all you need for a bunch of bags or jars.

ethnosplendor
#5 Posted : 6/14/2012 4:31:10 PM

DMT-Nexus member

damon wrote:
The most important thing is to not suck up any air into the needle. Flame sterilize the needle and it should be fine. Alcohol will not kill whatever might have gotten into the inside of the needle.

I agree with Jamie, make a few LCs and you can be better assured that you don't have contamination, and they will be growing while you wait. Half-pint or smaller is all you need for a bunch of bags or jars.

Thank you Damon, Should I remove the syringe and flame sterilize now, only to put it back in the fridge or just wait until I am ready to inject the mediums?

damon
#6 Posted : 6/14/2012 4:43:05 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I would, just keep positive pressure, letting a little trickle out, don't let any bubbles go into the syringe. Then wipe it all down with alcohol again and put it into a new bag. It'll never be "new" but that's the best you can do.

Budha
#7 Posted : 6/18/2012 11:41:09 PM

DMT-Nexus member

LC's are so fast, highly recommend it. Be sure to stop colonization of LC at about 80-90% and throw in the fridge to store. It'll last a long ass while like this and maintains the myceliums forward growth once it hits the new substrate.

You ever see a contam, quarantine it and get it out. Trich is tough to beat.

Cannabinoids
#8 Posted : 6/20/2012 10:46:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

ethnosplendor wrote:
Hello,

I am curious to know how likely it is that the spore syringe I have is contaminated or how likely it is that the syringe will become contaminated. For starters I order one spore culture in a sealed syringe and one all in one grow bag. I prepared the area by spraying 70% isoprop alcohol both on my gloves, the surrounding work area, on the injection site and in the air, and wore a mask. Next I injected some of the spore culture into the all in one grow bag then cleaned the needle cap and wiped the needle clean and placed the cap over the needle. Then I placed the syringe in a plastic zip-lock bag and then placed the bag into a sealed tupaware container to be placed in my fridge. I am hoping to use this same spore culture to inject some more all in one grow bags that are on the way.
1. What are your thoughts?
2. Is it likely my spore culture syringe is already contaminated?
4. Should I use it on the other bags?
5. If it isn't contaminated, is it likely to become contaminated?
6. How can I prevent this? (Both now and in the future)

Thank you!

-Ethno

Everything sounds good except you flam sterilize (put fire to needle until it glows red/orange)before you you inoculate and flame in between EACH bag/jar and also flam sterilize before you put your softy cap on and store in bag.

BEFORE you worry about live culture.

Live culture is good but in order to have uniformed mushrooms that all look the same and are even you need to isolate the strains on petri dishes. then when you eliminate all teh sections on multiple petri dishes you'll have one uniform strain that you can THEN make a live culture that. You will notice some peoples grows have various sizes of mushrooms and a large/medium amount of aborts. Then you'll notice some people have a universal size flush, those are the people who took the extra month to isolate.

No joke though get rid of all those "All in One" bags. there expensive an IMO useless.
1 gallon (+/- a quart[ you want field compasity ])
6 quarts of spawn
1 large rubbermaid
1 brick of coco coir - 650grams (not fiber)
2 quarts vermiculte
handful of gypsum

Bring water to boil
put brick in rubbermaid
put gypsum in rubbermaid
put vermiculite in rubbermaid
Pour boiling water over
Put Lid On (WAIT half hour)
(Wash Hands)
open lid and mix real well. there will probably be dry spots. this is fine. add a cup of water if it makes you feel better (ONLY IF THE WHOLE MIX FEELS DRY. IF IT LOOK AND FEELS WET THEN DON"T ADD WATER...TO MUCH WATER = contam)
put lid on for 1.5 hours.

Add spawn and mix real well

put lid on and store in a dark place for 10-14 days. (DON"T PEEK UNTIL AT LEAST 8-9 days...these keeps the co2 high in the box which the mycelium loves)

after the top of the substrate looks 90%-99% colonized. Depending on your species you may add or not add a casing layer (50/50 mix of verm/peatmoss 5%-10% gypsum and 5%-10% lime) cubensis don't require a casing but a lot of people swear by them. they do promote stronger fruit bodies and more even flush.

Then take a carpenters knife and cut out 2x 2inch diameter holes and stuff with polyfill (pillow stuffing)cut a large square on the top of the lid and tape clear wrap on it or whatever clear you have around. add 6500k light or a low wattage MH (metal halide) and mist 1-2 times a day and a light fanning if you don't have circulation in the room.

3-4 flushes later you'll have between 400-600 grams dry...

all done in less then 2-3 months. (first flush within 2 months less if you use LC)

I'm sure I missed something but that should get you going.

the cost for all that is the cost of 2 "All in one" bags and the yield is 10x-20x more. You might get a few oz from bag but you'll get a few pounds from monotub with coir.

canna