We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
limonene cannabis extraction Options

Parshvik Chintan
#1 Posted : 6/14/2012 11:06:02 AM

DMT-Nexus member

so i heard of people adding limonene to their hash oil and it got me wondering to how effectively limonene would work well for extracting.
also i plan on using this hash oil for oral use, so if it is food-safe i shouldn't have to worry about the residue. but apparently people are smoking this stuff too, i don't know if it is the residue, or a diluted limonene added to the finished product.

but is there any reason it won't work?

and if so, just lyse the cells, grind material, then do a couple pulls with limo and evap?
My wind instrument is the bong
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

soulfood
#2 Posted : 6/14/2012 2:16:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: DMT, Harmaloids, Bufotenine, Mescaline, Trip advice

I reeeeeeally wouldn't smoke limonene.

As for oral consumption, I personally wouldn't indulge in that either. Limonene burns the hell out of my skin. I treat it no different from any other toxic solvent where as much of it needs to be removed the final product as possible.

benzyme
#3 Posted : 6/14/2012 3:09:21 PM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

Parshvik Chintan wrote:
just lyse the cells

no need. the actives are primarily in the trichomes, which are outside the cell walls;
and I'm with soulfood on this one. you're better off using a lower boiling solvent.
hexane or cyclohexane would be ideal
"Nothing is true, everything is permitted." ~ hassan i sabbah
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Mister_Niles
#4 Posted : 6/14/2012 3:40:48 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I wouldn't want to smoke pure limonene, but if you don't want to smoke limonene, then don't smoke cannabis. Limonene is one of the terpenes in cannabis.
I'd think that trying an extraction from cannabis using limonene would be a mess and I doubt it would work. Limo doesn't really evap. Why not use alcohol?

Welcome Home Mister_Niles. We've Been Waiting For You.

"Don't worry. When it happens, you won't be able to not let it do its thing. You won't have the ability to distinguish a pen from a hippopotamus"
- Art Van D'lay

InMotion
#5 Posted : 6/14/2012 4:12:41 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: 3D programming, Mathematician (if you need help with algebra to differential equations I'm available), SKilled Engineer

Limonene is added to some concentrates. A drop to a gram or something for hash-oil. I think this is done to make the texture/consistency more of an oil and add flavor/aroma. Supposedly there are health benefits as well. Evaporating a significant amount of limonene sounds like a horror show.

MelCat
#6 Posted : 6/14/2012 4:30:59 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Alcohol pulls too many fats and unwanted material...

Grind the weed up, cover it with Naptha for about 45 seconds... strain and evap the naptha... Do this twice and you'll end up with some of the best honey oil you'll ever smoke...

If you want to make it a little easier to handle/deal with, add just a touch of ethanol so it will go into a dropper easier. Add a few drops of this to your bowl and let it evap for a second before firing up.
Convert a melodic element into a rhythmic element...

Mister_Niles
#7 Posted : 6/14/2012 4:35:29 PM

DMT-Nexus member

MelCat wrote:
Alcohol pulls too many fats and unwanted material...

Grind the weed up, cover it with Naptha for about 45 seconds... strain and evap the naptha... Do this twice and you'll end up with some of the best honey oil you'll ever smoke...

I make golden dragon with my vaporized leftovers. Alcohol is fine for that of course. I'd like to make some honey oil. Have you ever tried a naptha wash with pre vaporized cannabis, or would that not work?

"Don't worry. When it happens, you won't be able to not let it do its thing. You won't have the ability to distinguish a pen from a hippopotamus"
- Art Van D'lay

MelCat
#8 Posted : 6/14/2012 4:41:01 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Mister_Niles wrote:
Have you ever tried a naptha wash with pre vaporized cannabis, or would that not work?

I have not but it sounds like it might be a worthy experiment!

Mister_Niles
#9 Posted : 6/14/2012 8:44:28 PM

DMT-Nexus member

MelCat wrote:
Mister_Niles wrote:
Have you ever tried a naptha wash with pre vaporized cannabis, or would that not work?

I have not but it sounds like it might be a worthy experiment!

I only have a couple grams saved up, I'll try it when I get a quarter of vaporized together.

What are your yields on your honey oil, or do you even bother to weigh them? Seems like it might be a pain in the ass to weigh.

- Art Van D'lay

Parshvik Chintan
#10 Posted : 6/14/2012 9:17:43 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Mister_Niles wrote:
I'd think that trying an extraction from cannabis using limonene would be a mess and I doubt it would work. Limo doesn't really evap.

InMotion wrote:
Evaporating a significant amount of limonene sounds like a horror show.

why is this the case?
in what way would it be harder than evapping say, water?
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

Mister_Niles
#11 Posted : 6/14/2012 10:44:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Maybe it was just the brand I had (soil mender) but I tried to evaporate some, just as a test. It took weeks and I ended up with goo. Maybe that's an unusual outcome. It smelled nice. Way better than toluene or xylene. It's really expensive, that's one good reason not to try to evaporate it, even if you can.

I did some looking around and it seems that some people evaporate d-imo with no problems. Hmmm...

- Art Van D'lay

Parshvik Chintan
#12 Posted : 6/14/2012 11:08:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Mister_Niles wrote:
Maybe it was just the brand I had (soil mender) but I tried to evaporate some, just as a test. It took weeks and I ended up with goo.
I did some looking around and it seems that some people evaporate d-imo with no problems. Hmmm...

cool i will try a preliminary test-evap, and if that works out proceed with a test extraction.
i will update accordingly.
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

MelCat
#13 Posted : 6/14/2012 11:19:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Yeah, I've never attempted to weigh.. too much of a pain..

You want to start with as much as you can afford though, you really don't get much of a yield.

What you do get though is quite delicious and is worth the effort of saving up.

Parshvik Chintan
#14 Posted : 6/14/2012 11:23:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

MelCat wrote:

You want to start with as much as you can afford though, you really don't get much of a yield.

how long did you soak your pulls?
i'm pretty sure warming limonene won't help, but is there any other possible method to increase the yield?
it is non-polar, after all, so how surely there must be some way to pull most the cannibinoids...
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

benzyme
#15 Posted : 6/15/2012 2:02:54 AM

analytical chemist

Moderator | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertExtreme Chemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertChemical expert | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expertSenior Member | Skills: Analytical equipment, Chemical master expert

Parshvik Chintan wrote:
Mister_Niles wrote:
I'd think that trying an extraction from cannabis using limonene would be a mess and I doubt it would work. Limo doesn't really evap.

InMotion wrote:
Evaporating a significant amount of limonene sounds like a horror show.

why is this the case?
in what way would it be harder than evapping say, water?

do you know what their boiling points are? limonene doesn't evaporate as easily as water
"Experiments are the only means of attaining knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." -Max Planck

Parshvik Chintan
#16 Posted : 6/15/2012 2:14:04 AM

DMT-Nexus member

benzyme wrote:
do you know what their boiling points are? limonene doesn't evaporate as easily as water

well the test evap i did (around 3 tbps) is already half-done or more, so i don't imagine the evapping will be too much trouble, as it has been around 1.5 hours.

but is the yield going to be significantly lower than other solvents? and is there a way to (at least partially) remedy that?
CHANGA IN THE BONGA!

benzyme
#17 Posted : 6/15/2012 4:18:47 AM

analytical chemist

yields is such a relative term; when people say yields, they probably mean raw yields, since purity is usually in question.

Ambivalent
#18 Posted : 6/15/2012 11:25:03 AM

DMT-Nexus member

frozen alcohol in my experience gives best results...it is very similar to cold water extractions. when alcohol is frozen its solubility is reduced and it works as alot more selective solvent. only a quick two or three washes with cold alcohol will get 80 % of the cannabinoids and the consistency is caramel candy like hash when scooped.

also another thing worth mentioning here is that 180 proof alcohol will be even more selective than 160 proof alcohol when frozen. (at least in my results).

MelCat
#19 Posted : 6/15/2012 12:44:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Parshvik Chintan wrote:
MelCat wrote:

how long did you soak your pulls?
i'm pretty sure warming limonene won't help, but is there any other possible method to increase the yield?
it is non-polar, after all, so how surely there must be some way to pull most the cannibinoids...

When using naptha, I do really quick pulls.

2 pulls, each being around 30-45 seconds with room temperature naptha.

This thread is where I got the idea, all credit goes to Phlux-
https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=21495

It works great, even with not so great starting material.

MelCat
#20 Posted : 6/15/2012 12:45:56 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Ambivalent wrote:
frozen alcohol in my experience gives best results...it is very similar to cold water extractions. when alcohol is frozen its solubility is reduced and it works as alot more selective solvent. only a quick two or three washes with cold alcohol will get 80 % of the cannabinoids and the consistency is caramel candy like hash when scooped.

also another thing worth mentioning here is that 180 proof alcohol will be even more selective than 160 proof alcohol when frozen. (at least in my results).

I'd be willing to give this a shot sometime. How long do you do your pulls for?

12NEXT