We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
DMT and Migraines Options

Reynolds47
#1 Posted : 6/9/2012 12:39:07 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Hello,

My mother suffers from chronic migraines due to a catastrophic car crash a while back. We had heard psylocibin helps, but after eating a gram she reported no change to pain (admitably not a high dose, but she is Mormon and her first time smoking cannabis was only a few months ago. We may try again later.) Since DMT is strikingly similar to psylocibin, would that be a better option? It is more powerful, and only last 15 minutes or so, which is important to her.

What are your thoughts and speculations? They are most desired and appreciated. It may just change lives for more than one person for the better.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

Mister_Niles
#2 Posted : 6/9/2012 3:00:53 AM

DMT-Nexus member

The migraine medicine imitrex is an altered version of DMT, but I don't know if DMT has the same effects. Imitrex is an abortive, but I don't think it has preventative properties. Migraines can be triggered by a lot of things, including stress and muscle tension. My shoulder and neck muscles sometimes get extremely tight when I smoke DMT. As a matter of fact, I developed chronic tension headaches after smoking DMT. I had a lot of other stuff going on in my life at the time, so I can't say that dMT caused the headaches, but it definitely trigged them and I had to stop partaking. (it's been over a year since I've been in hyperspace. I miss it.)
Maybe oral would be better, I've never done pharma, but I've been given the impression that it is gentler. I think blasting off is one of the reason people get neck and shoulder tension sometimes. Maybe the slower come up would do away with the muscle tension and therefore be a better option for your mother.

Sorry I don't have more info, maybe someone here will know if DMT can be used as a migraine preventative. Good luck. Headaches suck.
Welcome Home Mister_Niles. We've Been Waiting For You.

"Don't worry. When it happens, you won't be able to not let it do its thing. You won't have the ability to distinguish a pen from a hippopotamus"
- Art Van D'lay

Kobranek
#3 Posted : 6/9/2012 3:11:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I personally use both psilocybin and dmt to help me control and find the source of the triggers to my migraines. They do work with the same mechansim as classic tryptans that you find in migraine medications such as imitrex, frova, sumavel, etc... they target the seratogenic receptor 5ht2a causing vasoconstriction of the blood vessels witin the head. Migraines occur from a bulge in a blood vessel putting pressure in the area of the brain that can cause the symptoms of nausea, light sensitivity, numbness in extremities or face, and worst of all the pain.
The thing with using the mushrooms and spice is that they are a more preventative therapy for me than an actual remedy. I have used small amounts of spice and mushrooms during an attack (don't recommend, yeah I've been retty desperate) with minimal results. The spice didn't work for me with knocking the migraine out nor did the mushies. The mushies did lessen the duration and pain with one gram chewed and held under the tongue the one time I did try it.
Before this regimen I would see my neurologist regularly and was on a cocktail of different drugs that only caused major side effects such as constant numbness in the hands. The way I see migraines is that for me they are a forced meditation having me deal with all these dark thoughts under extreme pain against my will always during a time of importance, they were affecting my life majorly. When using moderate to high doses of psilocybin I already perform my meditations at my convenience with the help of the spice I dig deep into my subconscous to help rid me of my emotional garbage which I think is the true source to my migraines. Theres no magic bullet but it sure is a good tool for me.

Shaggyzip420
#4 Posted : 12/12/2016 8:30:02 PM

Mind POP

OMG ive had head achs for days since my dmt extraction process and consumption im now on imatrex ...can i take dmt and imatrex at the same time
???

JustAnotherHuman
#5 Posted : 12/14/2016 1:44:33 PM

You create your own reality

LSD is a option too Reynolds47. It can be be used at sub-perceptual doses and has shown efficacy in treating migraines. It's long duration of action is a big plus too.

Of course, obtaining real LSD is difficult. You'll have to take that into account.
Here's a link talking about LSD treating migraines.
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/781651_3

Just thought I'd share that little tidbit. Hope it helps. Migraines suck man. My mom also gets them, so I can relate.

Good luck to you. Big grin Thumbs up

JustAnotherHuman is a fictional character. Everything said by this character should be regarded as completely fabricated.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."-Benjamin Franklin.

KarmicSloth
#6 Posted : 1/3/2017 4:28:37 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Hey, I just wanted to add to this in case it helps anyone. I've had chronic migraines and tension headaches for over 20 years. Every second of my waking life I had head pain. The headaches were sometimes cluster like in nature but that was not the norm.

I first tried magic mushrooms. I tried some brief micro dosing but didn't find it to be too effective(.1-.25g dried). I did find that these helped quite a bit at aborting a migraine(personally this same amount would bring a migraine down about on par with a successful sumatriptan injection or fiorcet w/ codeine). I think the max I took was about 1.5g. I would like to try at a higher dose sometime to see if it's a dosage issue.

I think DMT has more promise for me personally. I have drank Ayahuasca a few times now and it leaves me with zero to very very minimal constant pain. So far the effects seem to stick around for 3-4 weeks with a permanent effect extending from that(It's currently been 6-7 weeks since my last drink and my head pain is still fairly minimal but has steadily increased over time). Ayahuasca contains the MAOI as well so I'm not sure if that helps in this case but I would tend to guess it may help reduce some co-morbid stuff like depression.

I am eager to see if DMT or b caapi alone will have the same effect.