We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
PREV123
Eating Healthy Options

jvosh1
#41 Posted : 11/9/2011 1:58:20 AM
DMT-Nexus member

My understanding was that overeating can deplete enzymes. I have been under the impression (from reading the standard men's health, men's fitness, bodybuilding.com ect) that if you have 3 meals of (depending on your daily caloric needs) around 500 calories, and two snacks around 250 cals each, that it would keep your metabolism/digestion going. Of course I could always be wrong, are there any studies or links?

I also find, for me, that I'm less hungry during the day and don't have as many cravings. If I skip a meal and my blood sugar gets too low I get grumpy and ravenous.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

proto-pax
#42 Posted : 11/9/2011 2:17:01 AM

bird-brain

Enzymes can't be depleted.
blooooooOOOOOooP fzzzzzzhm KAPOW!
This is shit-brained, this kind of thinking.
Grow a plant or something and meditate on that

Mandukeya
#43 Posted : 11/9/2011 9:29:13 AM

Shamanic Engineer

For anyone looking for motivation to change their eating habits:

I used to eat a lot of processed foods and foods that had way to much sugar. I just wasn't motivated to do anything about it since I never had a weight problem.

Then I stumbled on this video: http://vimeo.com/20870484

It's about "Biohacks", hacking your body and mind to function better. And the video caught my attention when he said his first hack was trying Ayahuasca.

With this information about the effects the bad foods have on your body and more specifically your brain, it was only a matter of figuring out what my new meals would be and start spending a bit more on healthy- and super foods. Now I eat like the advices in this thread and really enjoy it. I have much more energy and my digestive system feels a lot better. I do "cheat" when it's not convenient (=not at home).

I also think DMT helped a lot with the general motivation to make positive changes in my life, to an extent that mushrooms or acid didn't. Strange molecule indeed Smile

ntwhtyouknw
#44 Posted : 11/11/2011 3:51:55 AM

You do not have to see alike, feel alike or even think alike in order spiritually to be alike

I just eat lots of fruit and veggies, rice, eggs, no meat, little processed food (only if I'm way hungry and can't get home to cook a meal.
Toadfreak!

Travel like a king
Listen to the inner voice
A higher wisdom is at work for you
Conquering the stumbling blocks come easier
When the conqueror is in tune with the infinite
Every ending is a new beginning
Life is an endless unfoldment
Change your mind, and you change your relation to time
Free your mind and the rest will follow

The Chr0nn01553ur
#45 Posted : 11/11/2011 10:14:37 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I have honestly been so busy that I haven't really had time to look through this thread, but I've been preparing, and soon I will look over all the info people have given. It's very much appreciated. I have a question though if someone could please answer it for me.

Is the organic food I buy at my grocery store really organic?

Life is art.

Row row row your boat, gently down the stream... Merrily merrily merrily merrily...............

NOTE: 'The Chr0nn01553ur' IS A FICTIONAL ONLINE CHARACTER AT THE DMT-NEXUS.COM FORUMS. THAT MEANS ALL POSTS MADE BY THE CREATORS ARE STRICTLY FICTITIOUS IN NATURE, AND USED SOLELY AS PERSONALITY EXPERIMENTS FOR THEIR OWN AMUSEMENT AND REFINEMENT. ANY RESEMBLANCES TO REAL LIFE ARE PURELY COINCIDENTAL. We also tend to edit our posts 2-3 times within about 5 minutes after posting them.. Just a heads up.

christian
#46 Posted : 11/11/2011 10:50:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Not necessarily, to be organic it must be labelled " organic", and be sourced from the requirements associated with organic requirements, etc. TBH, it's a bit of a money making business. Sure, it's supposed to have the edge, but is highly debateable and many disagree. Simply eat a balanced diet, organic or not...beware of marketting scams!!
"Eat your vegetables and do as you're told, or you won't be going to the funfair!"

proto-pax
#47 Posted : 11/11/2011 11:09:19 PM

bird-brain

http://www.purezing.com/...iving_toxins_id_gmo.html

The Chr0nn01553ur
#48 Posted : 11/12/2011 9:22:25 AM

DMT-Nexus member

christian wrote:
Not necessarily, to be organic it must be labelled " organic", and be sourced from the requirements associated with organic requirements, etc. TBH, it's a bit of a money making business. Sure, it's supposed to have the edge, but is highly debateable and many disagree. Simply eat a balanced diet, organic or not...beware of marketting scams!!

Could you elaborate? Or just rephrase? What about the fruit? Is it at least safe to assume that if that's labeled organic that it's GMO and pesticide free or no?
Life is art.

Row row row your boat, gently down the stream... Merrily merrily merrily merrily...............

NOTE: 'The Chr0nn01553ur' IS A FICTIONAL ONLINE CHARACTER AT THE DMT-NEXUS.COM FORUMS. THAT MEANS ALL POSTS MADE BY THE CREATORS ARE STRICTLY FICTITIOUS IN NATURE, AND USED SOLELY AS PERSONALITY EXPERIMENTS FOR THEIR OWN AMUSEMENT AND REFINEMENT. ANY RESEMBLANCES TO REAL LIFE ARE PURELY COINCIDENTAL. We also tend to edit our posts 2-3 times within about 5 minutes after posting them.. Just a heads up.

christian
#49 Posted : 11/12/2011 2:41:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

The High Life wrote:
Could you elaborate? Or just rephrase? What about the fruit? Is it at least safe to assume that if that's labeled organic that it's GMO and pesticide free or no?

-I'm not sure, highlife, and i don't trust them anyway. Personally i don't really care if it's organic or not. All that matters is that i eat a well balanced diet, and maintain it for life. This is the most important thing. Organic is just another way to sell fruit and veg, it's all marketting, and BIG business.IMO.
"Eat your vegetables and do as you're told, or you won't be going to the funfair!"

jamie
#50 Posted : 11/12/2011 4:01:02 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

I have read studies in the past that claimed to have found over double the vitamin content in organic fruits vs non-organic fruit..makes sense alot of stuff is prayed with pesticides and heavily fertilized so that it grows at an unnatural pace..I cant verify that though. In some cases however it is important to try to get organic. Certain things are really bad for example..like apples. Apples are one of the most sprayed crops..and the skin is not very thick(fruit with a very hard, thick outer skin is going to take in alot less pesticides..if you dont have organic apples you at least do not want to eat the skins. Eating pesticides is not really a good idea..so try to buy what you can that is organic and what is best to have as organic, because some things matter more than others.

GMO foods I just avoid. Do I really want to be ingesting lab manufactured genetic sequences?

Hybrid crops is something you cant really get away from unless you just dont eat banannas and like half the other fruits..hybrids are nothing like GMO though..some hybrids are seedless though as well, which makes me question the nutritionaL value..more and more scientists and monsanto seem to be creating frankenstein foods as if that is a good ideaRolling eyes

Also..one thing to think about is who you want to support..do you really want to give people like monsanto more support by buying the stuff they patent? They screw over farmers big time with terminator seeds and dont care about the qaulity of the food we are eating. I would rather not support them.
Long live the unwoke.

christian
#51 Posted : 11/12/2011 4:05:54 PM

DMT-Nexus member

You are correct Fractal. However where i live the price of regular vegetables and fruit are expensive enough, and organic is a rip off. I don't have the opportunity to grow my own either, however i do try and buy local fresh produce given a choice, etc.

ntwhtyouknw
#52 Posted : 11/13/2011 2:24:52 AM

You do not have to see alike, feel alike or even think alike in order spiritually to be alike

A good way to find decent priced organic foods is to check local farmers markets, were I live there are also lots of Mom and Pop places with really great food, and you can definitely tell the difference between there stuff and the big chain grocery stuff. Organic foods actually are way better for you, plus local stuff that you know is fresh and doesn't lose most of Its nutritional value on the long haul to the grocery.
Toadfreak!

Travel like a king
Listen to the inner voice
A higher wisdom is at work for you
Conquering the stumbling blocks come easier
When the conqueror is in tune with the infinite
Every ending is a new beginning
Life is an endless unfoldment
Change your mind, and you change your relation to time
Free your mind and the rest will follow

proto-pax
#53 Posted : 11/13/2011 4:35:33 AM

bird-brain

fractal enchantment wrote:
GMO foods I just avoid. Do I really want to be ingesting lab manufactured genetic sequences?

I agree with you, but GMO is a technology that can be used for good or bad. You can make some really great things with it like golden rice where you give a plant the ability to make a vitamin in a crop where people who are suffering from that vitamin deficiency now have it and don't suffer. On the other hand I wouldn't trust the way that mega corps like monsanto use this technology at all, and I DO think that there are def risks when you have that disgusting profit driven motive behind our food.

It pains me that such a wonderful idea is tainted by short sighted mega corps that don't give a rats ass about people.

Tona
#54 Posted : 1/31/2012 8:19:31 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Hello, please Jamie or anyone else, could you elaborate on the tap water issue ? I wasnt able to find anything convincing. I use tap water for making tea. I dont want to drink water from spring, because there are power plants everywhere. And I dont want to buy bottled water, because all that plastic and fuel needed for transport.

universecannon
#55 Posted : 1/31/2012 8:35:41 PM

Moderator | Skills: harmalas, melatonin, trip advice, lucid dreaming

Theres just tons of metals, fluoride, and other chemicals in our water. Even birth control chems get in there i've heard. Heres some studies on the fluoride part http://www.fluoridealert.org/health/pineal/

http://www.findaspring.com/

Our bodies are mostly water so it makes sense to me to be drinking the best you can get. If you cant find a spring thats close to you then i'd at least get a filter for it. Brita's sort of suck though and don't even get rid of the flouride, but its better than nothing

To those who get spring water- if you can i'd check and see what kind of container your using. I had big blue 5 gallon jugs but later found out they leech BPA into the water (a endocrine disruptor). It had the number 7 on the inside of a triangle located on the bottom side of the jug. I sold them back to the store, since thankfully places take back these jugs, and found some PET jugs with a number 1 in the triangle that don't leech it

<Ringworm>hehehe, it's all fun and games till someone loses an "I"

jamie
#56 Posted : 1/31/2012 10:02:39 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Salvia divinorum expert | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growingSenior Member | Skills: Plant growing, Ayahuasca brewing, Mushroom growing

I have huge plastic jugs that are BPA free..but still I am going to replace them one by one with glass jugs..you can find glass jugs at beer and wine making places alot of the time.

I use spring water for everything now, excpet for when I shower-but I want to get a shower filter for that. I pnly drink spring water and use it for all teas and soups..I also only give spring water to my house plants now as it is better for them than tap water, makes them grow faster and is better for me when I consume parts of those plants.

Tap water is just crap..I cant believe people still drink that stuff to be honest. The taste of it is like pool water. I just recently realize that the rainforest preserve down the street from me where I get water, is literally filled with springs..I must have found 10 spots the other day on a hike where pure artesian spring water was just bubbling up from the ground and on the sides of this creek..there are other springs rumored to be in the area that are a but more hidden that just pool up in the middle of the thick forest..awesome place to drink ayahuasca. In mazatec such springs are known as "the eyes of the earth" and are powerful shamanic places. Spring hunting quickly becomes somewhat of an obsession..and when you find these places it is truely beautiful..there is a special energy to the spots that you just have experience to understand. Drinking directly from a spring in the middle of the woods is like nothing else..you als tend to encounter some of the weirdest people you ever met at springs lol.

I dunno about power plants in the area contaming spring water-when I say "spring" I am always and only referring to artesian springs. These are deep down so I dunno if they can be contammed that way or not..I would research that for yourself if you have power plants nearby..and check findaspring.com for springs in your area as some of the ones on there will be able to provide test results.
Long live the unwoke.

SpartanII
#57 Posted : 1/31/2012 10:51:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Tona wrote:
Hello, please Jamie or anyone else, could you elaborate on the tap water issue ? I wasnt able to find anything convincing.

I just started a thread on "50 Reasons To Oppose Fluoridation" with a link to credible scientific information on water fluoridation. The 2006 National Research Council Report is peer-reviewed research (for all the skeptics lol). https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=29416

Fluoride is cumulatively toxic even in small doses and comes from a variety of sources besides tap water including soda, tea, coffee, wine, beer, and some food products manufactured with tap water. (sources can be found on the site I linked in my thread)

I should also note that most water filters do not remove fluoride.

pau
#58 Posted : 4/9/2012 11:59:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

gotta see:
What's in YOUR pizza?
WHOA!

lewinii
#59 Posted : 4/30/2012 11:24:17 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Can anyone recommend some cookbooks?

I want to learn to cook simple, healthy meals,
taste never mattered much to me, just good health content to make up for that
"science never proves anything; you can never duplicate an event precisely at the same moment in time as the initial event. science can only show correlation from the evidence and data derived from it." -benzyme

→ Donate to the Nexus! ←

purple_dye
#60 Posted : 5/1/2012 5:25:01 AM

DMT-Nexus member

christian wrote:
fractal enchantment wrote:
thatmentat wrote:
christian wrote:
If you exercise hard, then table sugar can be useful to consume post workout with some protein to help maximise assimilation of glycogen in the muscles. Training also means far superior absorbtion of the nutrients from food and better metabolism. Just eating "healthy" isn't enough. Humans are designed for movement. Also, there is a lot of talk that it is not good to always be eating "healthy" because us humans are complex emotional creatures that need a variety of food and vitamins and minerals that won't be found in a low fat "healthy" diet.
Moderation is the key.

Which is why high fructose corn syrup is in Gatorade. Because when the fire is burning hot enough anything burns well.

No..that is a completely misinformed statement. Just as the body should not be "saturated" in vitamines because too much of certain vitamines can be toxic..certain foods and additives can be toxic as well. Gatorade is not good for you, ever. Some people use it for the electrolytes..which you can find in great ammounts in other things, like coconut water. Food dyes, white sugar, fake sugar like aspartame etc are not going to be good for you reguardless of how much you work out. Why you are making these claims is beyond me. All sorts of things are not good for the body reguardess of how hot the "fire is burning"..I am sorry but to say that "anything" will burn well in the body is just rediculous.

-Fractal, i don't drink Gatorade or any gimmicky ready made drink. But one thing is for sure, recovery from exercise is faster from using high glycaemic index drinks during and after intense exercise. This is the most basic sports nutrition knowledge. And of course a better recovered muscle is a fitter one than a less recovered one. I moderately use table sugar in my coffee and in my post workout protein shakes to assist in better muscle recovery and absorbtions of nutrients. I cook all my own foods, and seldom use jar sauces watered down for flavour. Really, hard exercise makes the immune system so much stronger that one needn't overfuss about ones diet, as long as it's 80% decent in terms of lean proteins, complex carbs, fruit, etc. Going without the things you enjoy may be supposedly good for your body, but unfortunately not so good for your "being nice to yourself" levels, and this is why "anally healthy diets" never last -EVER. There has to be a healthy balance, and taking things too seriously doesn't make life a pleasure to live. Life should be enjoyed. Wink

Green tea, small to medium amounts of raw 100% chocolate, combined with sugary fruits such as pineapple makes one of the best pre-workouts I have ever used. I used to use some common ones such as No-explode but one look at the ingredients and it was in the trash.

I feel better longer and there is no crash.
PS

This is what the alphabet would look like if Q and R were missing

PREV123