We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
responsible disposal Options

Doodazzle
#1 Posted : 3/29/2012 2:37:42 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Personally, I can't feature throwing extraction "waste" into the trash, or down the toilet.

You have to compost, obviously.

D-limonene is an oil that the citrus fruit uses to keep bugs away and is rather deadly to many types of insect. If you are serious about composting, your pile or bin is likely full of very good bugs. You do NOT want to kill them, they're doing good work. Even orange peels, when composted, should be broken up into small bits and spread out/mixed in with other material so as not to be too concentrated.

What I'd suggest is having two compost piles or bins. One short term, one long term. The long term is for denser material, straw, leaves, small twigs, paper products and such-like. The short term for food waste, more immediately compostable stuff in general, and also some leaves/paper products for heat--well, you find your own way. There's plenty of info and different styles out there.

My point is to have a longer term compost, one that you will not be expecting to use in your garden for a year or more. Take your extracted and spent and limo laden plant matter and mix it well with leaf mulch, dilute it way down and add it to the long term compost.

Ethanol of course can be evaporated. Still, most any tek, even eco teks (or granola teks as I've seen them disparagingly refered to) are going to use strong bases, acids. Your compost has a delicate balance.

I hope this advice is helpful. If anyone else has other tips, or if I'm going about this wrongly, then I'd love to be set straight.
"Whoever undertakes to set himself up as a judge of Truth and Knowledge is shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods." Albert Einstein

I appreciate your perspective.

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

SKA
#2 Posted : 4/10/2012 11:54:46 AM
DMT-Nexus member

I guess the best thing to do with left over solvent(mixed with alkaloid-exhausted plant matter)
would be to destill it so it can be recylced and used in later extractions.

Shouldn't be too difficult to do since most solvents vaporise at very low temperatures.( at
least with Ether & Ethanol, don't know about D-Limo.) A simple destiller should do the trick.
Heating the basified plant sludge-solvent mix gently should only evaporise & destill off the
Solvent. The destillate should be usable in future extractions. Saves ALOT of costs too.

The Solvent-less, basified plant matter you have could be added to your long term compost pile.
Allthough the high PH of that sludge might not make for good compost. Maybe you should try and
neutralise it by adding acetic or citric acid untill the PH is around 7 again, before adding it
to the compost-pile.