We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Chilean Justice decides Ayahuasca is beneficial. Options

Vodsel
#1 Posted : 3/25/2012 9:23:30 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Filmmaking and Storytelling, Video and Audio Technology, Teaching, Gardening, Languages (Proficient Spanish, Catalan and English, and some french, italian and russian), Seafood cuisine

I'm translating here from spanish a recent piece of good news. And those are scarce and very welcome, so there we go.

You can find the original article here. Spanish readers might want to jump straight to the link and skip the following translation.

Quote:

Amazing! Chilean justice thinks ayahuasca use is beneficial

Ayahuasca is known by its "spiritual" benefits, considering that many of whom have ingested it in shamanic rituals say they have resolved their existential trouble thanks to this amazonian plant. In fact, the International Plant Medicine Corporation patented the use, processing and marketing of ayahuasca, which luckily expired in 2003, becoming public domain.

Apparently, this was taken into account by the IV Crown Court in Santiago, that decided to absolve César Ahumada Lira, 42, and his partner, Dánae Dimitra Sáenz, 41, of the accusation of drug trafficking, for whom prosecution was demanding 7 years of prison.

The accused were found performing shamanic rituals with ayahuasca in their property outside of the chilean capital, but chilean law doesn't forbid growing these plants and the International Narcotics Control Board doesn't control the beverages obtained from it.

What's interesting is, the sentence states that "The tribunal has become convinced that, far from constituting a danger for public health, the activity developed by the defendants has resulted in important benefits for multiple people, several of whom explained in court their experiences."

Besides, adds that "it has been proved that what the defendants offered to other people was a potion known internationally by the name of ayahuasca, and not dimethyltriptamine (DMT) as stated by the prosecution.

The preparation of this beverage also includes chacruna, which contains some concentration of DMT but the sentence says that "it was not proved that these concentrations brought any risks for people's health."

So you know, if you want to have a "religious experience" with this plant, you won't find legal objections."

I was very happy when I heard about the outcome a few days ago, because I've been following the details of the case quite closely and I really, really wanted the chilean justice to do its job properly.

The testimonies of people who had ayahuasca experiences and integration treatment with Rumi and Dánae, along with the testimonies of Dr. Jordi Riba (who has investigated long term use of ayahuasca in Barcelona, Spain) and Dr. Jacques Mabit (famous ayahuasca practitioner and visible head of the Takiwasi center, in Perú ), were essential for the verdict.

So I wanted to share with the Nexus the great news and give an applause to Chilean Justice.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

۩
#2 Posted : 3/25/2012 9:34:32 PM

Congratulations to the Chilean people and their government for accepting the truth and not being little greedy children about it.

alert
#3 Posted : 3/25/2012 9:49:41 PM
DMT-Nexus member

This is obviously good news, but it disgusts me that people who have no experience with the medicine are the ones who get to deem if it is beneficial or not. Why not ask some of the people who have had their lives changed if aya is beneficial or not? Or even better, why doesn't the government mind their own business and not worry about things that aren't harming any one?

tele
#4 Posted : 3/25/2012 11:42:45 PM
Explorer

Finally some proper justice.
Considering the improved view on aya I think it's possible that the active ingredient DMT will be viewed also in improved manner at least in chile.

Quote:
This is obviously good news, but it disgusts me that people who have no experience with the medicine are the ones who get to deem if it is beneficial or not.

It disgusts me that people who have no experience with it made it illegal in the first placeConfused