We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
what magic m. grow kit to buy? Options

ckld
#1 Posted : 3/13/2012 2:47:33 PM

DMT-Nexus member

My options are Mazapatec, Cambodia and Psilocybe cubensis 'B+'. Any suggestions on which one to prefer?
It's amazing just to find out, so true and so clear that there is no good or bad, only love and fear and that is all we are messing with during our whole human history and WOW that was my first hit. A moment of freedom out of the ape's sealed skin.

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

rjb
#2 Posted : 3/13/2012 3:02:04 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Mazatapecs are great. B+ too. My B+ batch has been very potent, but less resistant than Mazatapecs and Golden Teachers. I've found the Mazatapecs to be more visually oriented, while the B+ were great for doing hard inner work. I'll definitely grow some more Mazatapecs in the future though, so if you're in for some experimentation, then you have to try them. You won't be disappointed, I don't think so.
The truth...lies within.

SnozzleBerry
#3 Posted : 3/13/2012 3:25:58 PM

omnia sunt communia!

Moderator | Skills: Growing (plants/mushrooms), Research, Extraction troubleshooting, Harmalas, Revolution (theory/practice)

Just to clarify...they're all P. cubensis, not just the B+.

I'd skip the kit and start from spore syringe...it's much more educational and rewarding, imo.
WikiAttitudeFAQ
The NexianNexus ResearchThe OHT
In New York, we wrote the legal number on our arms in marker...To call a lawyer if we were arrested.
In Istanbul, People wrote their blood types on their arms. I hear in Egypt, They just write Their names.
גם זה יעבור

Metanoia
#4 Posted : 3/13/2012 6:23:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

SnozzleBerry wrote:
I'd skip the kit and start from spore syringe...it's much more educational and rewarding, imo.

This. Smile

Trippym
#5 Posted : 3/13/2012 7:37:29 PM
DMT-Nexus member

grow kits are a waste of money if you are ok at diy type projects....read up on how to make a liquid culture , spawn jars , substrate , and monotubs...For the same price that you can get a kit for you will be able to construct a superior growing system from common items that you can find at the grocery store.the mycotopia archives is a good place to start.

ckld
#6 Posted : 3/13/2012 7:43:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I'm just a beginner so I'll start with p.c. b+ and p.c. Mazatapecs and then think about spore syringe for later cause sterilization makes me anxious and haven’t much time lately
It's amazing just to find out, so true and so clear that there is no good or bad, only love and fear and that is all we are messing with during our whole human history and WOW that was my first hit. A moment of freedom out of the ape's sealed skin.

Vodsel
#7 Posted : 3/13/2012 8:56:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: Filmmaking and Storytelling, Video and Audio Technology, Teaching, Gardening, Languages (Proficient Spanish, Catalan and English, and some french, italian and russian), Seafood cuisine

ckld wrote:
I'm just a beginner so I'll start with p.c. b+ and p.c. Mazatapecs and then think about spore syringe for later cause sterilization makes me anxious and haven’t much time lately

The first time I grew cubensis it was a Golden Teacher pre-colonized kit. It worked fine and it was pretty simple, but I soon wished I could have a little bit more of control in the process. Colonizing yourself is actually cheaper, more interesting and more effective, but that said, I think trying at first a kit if you want to go very easy sounds ok to me.

Good luck with that Smile

obliguhl
#8 Posted : 3/13/2012 9:11:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

fsre.nl - thank them not me. And: Donate money or spore prints in return.

Dante
#9 Posted : 3/14/2012 12:31:26 AM

DMT-Nexus member

obliguhl wrote:

Agree.
Listen to a man of experience: thou wilt learn more in the woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach thee more than thou canst acquire from the mouth of a master. St. Bernard

smokerx
#10 Posted : 3/14/2012 8:03:06 AM

ThGiL fO TiRipS

obliguhl wrote:

Its been a month since I sent them a letter with money and have not heard from them since. how long does it normally take to get prints from them ? I do not have all year Id like to start growing.
We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.

We are all living in our own feces.

obliguhl
#11 Posted : 3/14/2012 9:00:22 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Usually 2-3 weeks....so yours is indeed a little late. Have you hidden your postage money well enough?

smokerx
#12 Posted : 3/14/2012 12:39:12 PM

ThGiL fO TiRipS

obliguhl wrote:
Usually 2-3 weeks....so yours is indeed a little late. Have you hidden your postage money well enough?

I have, maybe too well so they did not find it lol. I sent 5 dollar note. What should I do ?
We are each of us angels with only one wing, and we can only fly by embracing one another.

We are all living in our own feces.

Dante
#13 Posted : 3/14/2012 12:52:38 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Probably the post people found the money.

smokerx wrote:
What should I do ?

I would wait another couple of weeks and then send another letter.
Listen to a man of experience: thou wilt learn more in the woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach thee more than thou canst acquire from the mouth of a master. St. Bernard

ckld
#14 Posted : 3/14/2012 2:15:07 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I think an easy yeld around 400-500 grams worths the 36 euro especialy when for me that yeld is a years stock. How much is it 40 doses? That's one dose every week of the year! I would be very pleased if I am right on that Very happy

RebornInSmoke
#15 Posted : 3/14/2012 7:24:33 PM

Lysergic Feline

ckld wrote:
I think an easy yeld around 400-500 grams worths the 36 euro especialy when for me that yeld is a years stock. How much is it 40 doses? That's one dose every week of the year! I would be very pleased if I am right on that Very happy

precisely Pleased
I went with 2x Cambodian Cubensis grow kits.
the kit came with a vacuum sealed bag of sterilised rye grain, a spore syringe, a bag of perlite, a bag of vermiculite, a grow/fruiting bag and a box for the substrate/myc.

I got 2 in case I f'd one up, and the reason I went with the Cambodian strain is because they supposedly grow in large flushes.
my grow kits havent really followed the precise timescale due to the temperature not being at a constant, but I've not minded a bit of extra time, I'm in no rush. Smile
kit #1 is ahead of kit#2 by halfway.

substrate box/kit #1 is already showing pins, fresh today! Very happy
I made kit #2 into a substrate box tonight. When the mycelium penetrates the vermiculite enough I will water it and put it in its grow/fruiting bag as well.
this has been a fun educational introduction to the world of growing mushrooms, it hasnt been too hard or time consuming and I've learned a lot and had fun doing so.

<3 <3 <3 !!!HURRAY FOR MUSHROOMS!!! <3 <3 <3
Gun it to 88...
..::those who speak do not know, those who know do not speak::..
<3

amazingino
#16 Posted : 3/14/2012 8:30:18 PM

Thanatonaut

Go with a grow box, it is more interesting to grow yourself, but it takes time.

And cubes are cubes, whatever name you give them, it is same shroom.
It is all very random, even from the very same batch you can have very different material in every way possible. There is no way you can know in advance that mazapatec will be more powerful or bigger or resistant or whatever then B+ or the other way around.
If someone tells you otherwise, ignore him Smile

So grow whatever please you at the moment and don't worry about the rest.

Peace
My reality does not exist.

beandip
#17 Posted : 3/18/2012 1:52:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Kits are a serious waste of money not to mention it clearly shows an intent to cultivate the attached spores -whatever they may be. Spore prints alone are ideal to work with because they can be shipped very discreetly - maybe I just feel weird about having a syringe come to my house. Making the syringe is so easy the first time you do it you realize how much money you could have saved - it only takes but a fraction of the print to start a syringe, and the syringe can start a batch of jars and the jars will make as many more jars as you need! There are literally tons of simple teks out there which I would be happy to share with you. The simplest for learning the mechanics is PF cakes but if you are looking at bulk I would not recommend them.

Knowing what I know now I would highly recommend birdseed (the less sunflower seeds in the seed the better the buy.) You are talking about 20-50lbs of substrate that can be purchased at just about any grocery for under 10$. This is an excellent starter substrate because of cost. Rye is also an option but I had a very difficult time maintaining a proper moisture and it was consistently very susceptible to mold. The reason I support the use of grains is quite simple - they are very low cost and can easily speed up the cultivation of the mycelium vs a fixed substrate. The mycelium acts as an organic internet, when you achieve 5% & 50% growth you shake the substrate to spread the mycelium and it will regrow VERY vigorously and be spread out more evenly unlike cakes which can have dead spots in the center. The grain jars also allow the transfer of a small spoonful of completed substrate into a brand new jar thus quickly establishing the strong mycelium. The next part I would recommend is using a double tub - many recipes recommend different substrates I had great success with mostly coco coir and minimal coffee. NEVER had contaminants on just coir but too much coffee grounds caused problems and unless you had a very sterile environment the amount of infected substrates made it not worth my time. This is a simple tek that allows the cultivator to set it and forget it sans some minor changes to airflow to help regulate the proper amount of moisture. Opening your sub to spray every day invites all sorts of unwanted problems unless you're talking about having a proper lab type space. You can get a permanent set of equipment for generally under 100$. Don't skimp on the pressure cooker as a proper one will be very safe, and help save you from excessive time/electricity use.

I hope I don't come off the wrong way but a fair word of warning - once money is involved it feels to cloud your path of righteousness. Cosmic forces have a funny way of punishing those that lie to themselves. I hope you are not discouraged and I wish you safe travels. Please post here or pm any questions you may have.
MIND YOU THIS IS AN ENTIRE WORK OF FICTION FOR A FANTASTIC NOVEL I AM WORKING ON - THESE ARE MERELY STORIES TO ENTERTAIN AND ARE OF NO RESEMBLANCE TO ANY LIVING OR HISTORICAL PERSONS