We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Movie or Book recommendations Options

Dwhitty76
#1 Posted : 10/15/2008 5:23:32 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Please post any good book or movie recommendations that you might have read or seen lateley. I need some new recommendations.I have around 10 books that i'm reading at once (exageration) but i'd still like to hear of any good reco's on the books and in the movies.

I am a BIG David lynch fan,so if you havent seen eraserhead or watched the whole twin peaks series,i would highly recommend it.
I'm presently reading "the jaguar that roams the mind" by robert tindall (ayahuasca escapade) and so far, so good.

Peace to all
" Freedom from the desire for an answer is essential to the understanding of a problem." - jiddu Krishnamurti

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

Jorkest
#2 Posted : 10/15/2008 6:26:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf ProgrammingChemical expert | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf Programming

Into The Void, Back From The Void...two books by Zoe7 or ZoeSeven

The Way Of The Shaman by Michael Harner

Pihkal/Tihkal by Shulgins

Holotropic Mind by Grof

True Hallucinations by Mckenna

let me check my library..and see what else i can find that would help

also make sure you read The Spirit Molecule by Strassman
it's a sound

Dwhitty76
#3 Posted : 10/15/2008 5:13:22 PM

DMT-Nexus member

true hallucinations is what sparked my interest w/the spirit molecule,it only took swim 15 yrs to manifest it's source.
I thought strassmans book was interesting but it wasnt one of those books that i couldn't put down (unlike true hallucinations)
I havent read pihkal/tihkal ,straight through but i do refer to it a lot through erowid.

Someone else reccomended the way of the shaman aswell,so i ordered it on amazon.

I am definately a book hoarder,i have like 10 books in my collection that i still need to read.

I just like to hear of good books people have read or movies people have seen,regardless of topic.

Also,jorkset the mayan oracle is on its way Very happy
" Freedom from the desire for an answer is essential to the understanding of a problem." - jiddu Krishnamurti

Jorkest
#4 Posted : 10/15/2008 5:16:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf ProgrammingChemical expert | Skills: Extraction Troubleshooting, (S)elf Programming

nice dude...the mayan oracle is such an amazing tool for communicating with yourSelf...and the way of the shaman is absolutely amazing...you should also get some shamanic drumming...i could recommend the book 'the shamanic experience' it comes with a cd with shamanic drumming that i have used to explore the lower world...and communicate with beings there...its really amazing
it's a sound

Dwhitty76
#5 Posted : 10/15/2008 5:59:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

cool, i'll definately look into it. Thanks for the info.

obliguhl
#6 Posted : 10/15/2008 6:22:35 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Pinchbeks "Breaking open then head" is a good read. "Return of quetzalcoatl" not so much.
Clifford A. Pickovers "Sex Drugs, Einstein, Elves: Sushi, Psychedelics , Paralell Universes and the Quest for transcendence" is entertaining but the author is so full of himself that it's actually hard to read at times.

Dwhitty76
#7 Posted : 10/15/2008 8:45:18 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I started reading pinchbecks book but had some difficulty getting into it. I read the first couple chapters and put it down and it's been a couple weeks. I should probably pick it back up again and give it a second chance.

ambi-lysergance
#8 Posted : 10/15/2008 10:39:46 PM

DMT-Nexus member

yep, I will 2nd or 3rd was it? 'True hallucinations'

also 'food of the gods' (also by mckenna) I found Fascinating, the history of our evoloution and the integral, and progressive role psychedelics have played in human evoloution, (it seems the only time we havn't transgressed in is when we were all as communities devouring ridiculous amounts of psychoactive plants lol) all flowingly delivered in mckennas eloquent and dynamic versed prowess.

I must say I found Strassmans 'The Spirit molecule' an outstanding read, and also the less impresssive although somewhat paradoxically equally encaptivating 'Inner paths to outer space' if you have read his 1st book u may get a sense of deja vu on the dmmt chapters but the book is well worth the outstanding ayahuasca and shamanic setions, in my humble opinion of course.

clearly all u guys have saw 'fear and loathing', i suggest reading the book also, if not only for the outstanding illustrations by Ralph Steadman

'doors of perception' by aldious huxley of course provides a compelling insight in to the authors mescaline experience. written or at least experienced in the 1950's it portrays an enchanting recollection and philisophical review of our beloved phenethylamine.

moving slightly away from psychedelics i found Richard Dawkins 'the god delusion' a rivetting read. the systematic inteligent and common sensical obliterration and devastation of religios zealots and all that embodies religious indoctrination puts the god and religious beliefs of all our main domineering cults (catholicism, islam, ect ect)to the test in the most unompromising fashion.

as for movies, recently, if u havny seen it 'pans labyrinth' is absoloutly magestic!

all personal preferance indeed Very happy
ambi lysergance is a fictional character who in the realms of fantasy indulges in such topics as science, arts and psychoactive plant induced visions

endlessness
#9 Posted : 10/16/2008 1:11:17 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Movies:

´One flew over the cuckoos nest´
(movie from the book that made ken kesey famous.. very good, with jack nicholson, about a psychiatric hospital.. the question is: who´s are the crazy ones in this world?)

´into the wild´
(very nice movie, its a true story about a kid that just graduated in college and, instead of following his parent´s ideas of job and so on, he goes hitch hiking to alaska where he lives alone in the wild.. very very good movie)

´the fountain´
(incredible movie! beautiful imagery, amazing symbolism.. a story that passes in 3 different times, in the present, in the past during the inquisition, and in xibalba, the mayan´s star of the dead. Watch it!)

´blueberry - renegade´
(a western movie that is mostly about ayahuasca/sanpedro/peyote.. The western part imo is just ´fillers´ Very happy best visuals to depict a trip that I´ve ever seen. Dont mind the very rushed beginning of the movie, just have patience and once the trips start it gets very good Very happy .. a movie for the trippers, I think people who havent tripped wont like )

there are for sure loads more movies, but I´ll leave these ones for now..

books:

´The pleasantries of the incredible Mulla Nasrudin´
(jokes/small stories from a famous islamic sufi character, that some may think is a fool, others that he is wise saint Very happy )

´Mr Nice´
(great book written by Howard Marks, one of the biggest hash/weed smugglers ever, about all his stories, schemes to smuggle and travels, from small deals to huge shipments in restricted CIA boxes from afghanistan and so on.. also prison stories and all the rest.. )

´Brotherhood of eternal love: from flower power to hippie mafia´
(the title says it all.. from the beginnings of this organization and the early counter-culture, free parties and famous lsd chemists, to the ends where it all went downhill)

´Beelzebub´s tales to his grandson´
(Gurdjieff´s masterpiece.. not for the fainthearted. Huge dense book, written by this armenian mystic. Partly fiction, or disguised as such, and part truth, tells about humanity and the universe from the perspective of a higher being telling about it to his grandson)

´Siddharta´
(Easy read, beautiful book from hermanm hesse about siddharta´s path to enlightenment)

´Hyperspace´
(michio kaku´s book about physics and other possible dimensions.. very good read, you dont need to be a physicist to understand it)

and loads more too ... Very happy

Dwhitty76
#10 Posted : 10/17/2008 3:25:31 AM

DMT-Nexus member

endlessness wrote:
Movies:

´One flew over the cuckoos nest´
(movie from the book that made ken kesey famous.. very good, with jack nicholson, about a psychiatric hospital.. the question is: who´s are the crazy ones in this world?)

´into the wild´
(very nice movie, its a true story about a kid that just graduated in college and, instead of following his parent´s ideas of job and so on, he goes hitch hiking to alaska where he lives alone in the wild.. very very good movie)

"Cuckoos nest" is a classic ! I dont know if you read the book or not but it's a lot more psychedelic than the movie, being based on kesey's experience as a lab rat for the c*i*a when they where experimenting with lsd as a truth syrum. Then owsley got his hands on the stuff and the rest is history.

"Into the wild" really messed with my head (excellent flick) but i didnt know that it was based on a true story untill the end. I admired the guy for his journey to find himself but he really made some stupid decisions,the ending was sad.

I'm a big Herman Hesse fan myself. If you liked siddatha, you should check out "The Alchemist" by Paulo Coelho

Also Alan Watts "The Book" (talks about the universe and mans place in it,the duality of nature and the ego).

Movies (non psychedelic)

It's been out for a couple yrs but if you havent seen "Motorcycle Diaries" (the story of the youthful che guevara and his friend pack a bunch of bags on the back of an old motorcycle that they both ride on and plan on riding around the whole south american continent.It's a beautiful movie.

One last movie reco "Dead Man" (johnny depp is a prim and propper accountant from new york that gets a job in the wild west during the turn of the century and one thing leads to another and he is running from the law and a native american takes him in.It's got a real spiritual undertone and the cinematography is awesome.

Thanks for the other recos guys

blue_velvet
#11 Posted : 11/5/2008 6:09:36 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I would suggest "Stalking the Wild Pendulum" by Itzahk Bentov (sp?) He is one of the pioneers of research into consciousness evolution.

I'm currently reading "Science and the Akashic Field" by Ervin Laszlo. This also explores research in consciousness and "Ultimate Reality," but through theoretical physics. He suggests that an "Akashic Field" exists that is nonlocal and informs every aspect of reality.

polytrip
#12 Posted : 11/5/2008 1:23:02 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Location: A speck of dust in endless space, like everyone else.
Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy. Book and audiobooks are funnier than the movie, though.

phokasfuzion
#13 Posted : 11/17/2008 4:06:46 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Books:

The Waters of Hermes- Poetry & Shamanism: A Journal of Poetry, Imagination, and Traditional Wisdom

If your into poetry i would suggest anything by Rumi.

The Long Trip: A Prehistory of Psychedelia
By: Paul Devereux

Movies:
Natural Born Killers

Pi

Terence McKennas dvd
Alchemical Dream
Rebirth of the Great Work
http://www.sacredmysteries.com/public/147.cfm

Aegle
#14 Posted : 1/5/2009 8:19:01 PM

Cloud Whisperer

Senior Member | Skills: South African botanicals, Mushroom cultivator, Changa enthusiast, Permaculture, Counselling, Photography, Writing

Books :

Terence McKenna - Food of the Gods
Terence McKenna and Dennis McKenna - Invisible Landscapes
Jon Krakauer - Into The Wild
Lyall Watson - Gifts Of Unknown Things

Movies :

Vanilla Sky
The Fountain
Dune

Much Peace
The Nexus Art Gallery | The Nexian | DMT Nexus Research | The Open Hyperspace Traveler Handbook

For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.

The fate of our times is characterised by rationalisation and intellectualisation and, above all, by the disenchantment of the world.

Following a Path of Compassion and Heart

bufoman
#15 Posted : 1/5/2009 8:27:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

The Tao of Zen
Anything by jonathan Ott, Terrence McKenna, Rick Strassman, Shulgin, Alan Watts
Storming Heaven
Mescal and MEchanisms of Hallucinations by Heinrich Kluver
Trouts Notes on Simple tryptamines
Trouts notes on Cacti
Metzner's books on Ayhausca, Psilocybin mushrooms
Trailogues at the edge of the West
Hallucinogens a forensic drug handbook
The chemistry of mind altering drugs Perrine
Intoxication by Seigel
The dancing Wu Li Masters (Quantum Mechanics)
Alternative Realities by Leonard George

11:11
#16 Posted : 1/9/2009 12:54:10 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Catch 22 - Joseph Heller: One of the most hilarious books I've ever read. Highly recommended.

Journey To Ixtlan - Carlos Castenada: Amazing book which reaffirmed many many conclusions on the workings of life that I had already come to independently.

Teachings of Don Juan; Fire Within - Carlos Castenada: Both excellent books, Teachings of Don Juan goes into use of Datura and Peyote along with traditional preparations.

The Illuminatus - Robert Anton Wilson, Robert Shea: Strange, fascinating, interspersed fact and fiction regarding the Illuminati and their historical workings.

The Watchmen - Alan Moore: Never liked comics/graphic novels but this one is really awesome! The world if it had superheros in the 1930-50's.

Maniac Eyeball - Salvador Dali: An autobiography, amazing amazing book written by and about an amazing man. Real insight into the fascinating mind and art of Dali. Highly recommend if you can find it!

Brave New World - Aldous Huxley: An interesting view into a government regulated, drugged utopia. Cool concept

Welcome to the Desert of the Real - Slavoj Zizek: A fascinating perspective on 911 from a modern philosopher. If you can't find this one, check into this dude, he's really interesting.
Here's a documentary about him : http://quicksilverscreen.com/watch?video=49659

Cheers!
Psychonautical musical adventures

I am the Pickled Herring, raging through the streets of Aurangabad. Smiting the simian fortress of Agartha I fly with pan liners and garbage bags attached to my million tentacles of horrid putrefaction, eating souls and raining down corpses on the mighty city of Gruad.

Hail Eris!

'Coatl
#17 Posted : 1/9/2009 3:38:27 AM

Teotzlcoatl

The Fruit Hunters is just an amazing book...

And no, it's not about chasing homos.

It's about plants!
WARNING: DO NOT INGEST ANY BOTANICAL WHICH YOU HAVE NOT FULLY RESEARCHED AND CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED!!!

I am Teotzlcoatl, older cousin of Quetzalcoatl. My most famous physical incarnation was Nezahualcoyotl, but I have taken many forms since the dawn of the cosmos. In this realm I manifest as multiple entities at a single time. I am many, I am numbered. I am few, but more than one. I am a multifaceted being, a winged serpent with many heads. We are Teotzlcoatl.

"We Are The One's We've Been Waiting For" - Hopi Proverb

DMTripper
#18 Posted : 1/20/2009 10:33:28 PM

John Murdoch IV

This is quite an interesting thread. Loads of books here I love but then it seems like some people just love books that I found just extremely boring Razz hahahaha

But there are two books I'd like to recommend:

Fourteen Lessons in Yogi Philosophy and Oriental Occultism
And a book called "Ami, Child of the Stars" or "From the Stars" by Enrique Barrios.

Both books hold timeless wisdom and had great impact on me. Both very simple and the latter one actually written like a children's book.

But the movie would be the one I saw at the cinema just last night "Slumdog millionare". Really good movie and a nice change from Hollywood.

edit:
Good info on what "From the stars" is about here:
http://ufoexperiences.bl.../ami-child-of-stars.html

––––––

DMTripper is a fictional character therefore everything he says here must be fiction.
I mean, who really believes there is such a place as Hyperspace!!

bufoman
#19 Posted : 1/20/2009 11:45:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Chemical expertSenior Member

Slum dog millionaire was great.