We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Is my caapi dead? Options

Wax
#1 Posted : 12/15/2011 1:30:59 AM

LUVR

So apparently caapi doesn't do well in the back of a moving truck for 500 miles...

Mine was doing awesome until now, it has lost all the leaves and no new growth has emerged.
It is winter now and I moved to a much more overcast area so I'm wondering if she is dead or just laying somewhat dormant?

I know that chacruna will look dead and sometimes spring back under good conditions, so I'm hoping my caapi will do the same. Anybody know?
'Little spider weaves a wispy web, stumblin' through the woods it catches to my head. She crawls behind my ear and whispers secrets. Dragonfly whiz by and sings now teach it.'

Live plants. Sustainable, ethically sourced, native American owned.

damon
#2 Posted : 12/15/2011 4:40:44 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Keep it above 60F and hope for the best. It's common for them to lose all their leaves when shocked, especially when small, but it isn't necessarily dead. I had a smallish one that died after being exposed to 40F degrees overnight, but it wasn't that healthy. Below 60F they grow very slow. It might be best to bring it inside until it shows signs of growth, keeping the soil moist. It's actually a tough plant, but it is vulnerable to cold and drying out. I've found that it doesn't so much care about humidity as long as the soil is moist.

This year, I started a cutting early and it was in the ground outside in February. The base went from thinner than a pencil to thicker than my thumb, about 3/4" wide. I trimmed it down a little and bundled it up and it is doing surprisingly well, dropping a few leaves but nothing major. Lots of big green leaves left and it continues to grow slowly. I have a 100W flood inside to keep it warm, it's gotten down to 32F so far outside, 45F inside. I had some aphids when it first started getting cold, but I trimmed those off and they haven't come back yet.

DoctorMantus
#3 Posted : 12/15/2011 6:04:56 PM

Hyperspace Architect/Doctor

i had the same problem when moving, very sad Sad. you have any pics, it will be easier seeing the condition of the plant.
"You are an explorer, and you represent our species, and the greatest good you can do is to bring back a new idea, because our world is endangered by the absence of good ideas. Our world is in crisis because of the absence of consciousness."
— Terence McKenna

"They Say It helps when you close yours eyes cowboy"

Wax
#4 Posted : 12/15/2011 7:37:37 PM

LUVR

Thanks for the info, it has been inside since I recieved it so it stays at around 50 degrees and the soil is still moist.
I will upload some pics when I get the chance.
Basically it looks like a few twigs so I'm not too confident.
'Little spider weaves a wispy web, stumblin' through the woods it catches to my head. She crawls behind my ear and whispers secrets. Dragonfly whiz by and sings now teach it.'

dg
#5 Posted : 12/15/2011 7:54:36 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Cacti expert

damon wrote:
Keep it above 60F and hope for the best. It's common for them to lose all their leaves when shocked, especially when small, but it isn't necessarily dead. I had a smallish one that died after being exposed to 40F degrees overnight, but it wasn't that healthy. Below 60F they grow very slow. It might be best to bring it inside until it shows signs of growth, keeping the soil moist. It's actually a tough plant, but it is vulnerable to cold and drying out. I've found that it doesn't so much care about humidity as long as the soil is moist.

nice post!

DoctorMantus
#6 Posted : 12/15/2011 10:55:27 PM

Hyperspace Architect/Doctor

archaic_architect wrote:
Thanks for the info, it has been inside since I recieved it so it stays at around 50 degrees and the soil is still moist.
I will upload some pics when I get the chance.
Basically it looks like a few twigs so I'm not too confident.

Well don't give up, just try keeping it at a level temp, have you gotten any lights, not too much heat.

Right now idk the condition but all you want to focus on is keeping it alive, do not worry about getting it to grow, just maintain.
"You are an explorer, and you represent our species, and the greatest good you can do is to bring back a new idea, because our world is endangered by the absence of good ideas. Our world is in crisis because of the absence of consciousness."
— Terence McKenna

"They Say It helps when you close yours eyes cowboy"

۩
#7 Posted : 12/15/2011 11:04:59 PM

Last year I left a caapi plant outside during winter. Temps probably reached 30F at times.
In the spring, I thought it was dead- but no.
It shot back up and was fully alive and well.
It's winter in the northern hemisphere so it's quite possible it has just gone dormant.
There's a thread in this subforum called "Banisteriopsis caapi" with a lot of good info on growing if you would like to check it out.
See here: https://www.dmt-nexus.me...aspx?g=posts&t=21223

Wax
#8 Posted : 12/16/2011 3:50:00 AM

LUVR

Awesome you guys have given me renewed hope, especially house that is amazing yours did not die after freezing temps!

Lost travellier
#9 Posted : 2/17/2012 6:51:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

On my observations B.Caapi (in change from P.Viridis) very sensitive to excess of moisture in root. Try not to give too much water while sheet no.