We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
Heating IPA/Acetone to make FASI/FASA Options

justine
#1 Posted : 1/6/2012 8:45:06 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Hi,

I'm performing my first extraction with d-limo and FASI, I have realized that fumaric acid is much more soluble in heated IPA, however is there be any reason why
it would be better to just let the IPA+fumaric acid at room temp for a few hours or a day so it completely dissolves ?

Also, do you know the solubility of fumaric acid in IPA ?

Thanks!
To see the world in a grain of sand, and to see heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hands, and eternity in an hour.
- William Blake

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

InMotion
#2 Posted : 1/23/2012 9:39:25 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Senior Member | Skills: 3D programming, Mathematician (if you need help with algebra to differential equations I'm available), SKilled Engineer

I'm not sure on the solubility. Although when using IPA/Acetone if solubility is the main issue, why not simply increase the volume of solvent to solvate the necessary amount of fumaric acid?

For simplicities sake, I'd use a larger volume.

endlessness
#3 Posted : 1/23/2012 10:18:34 PM

DMT-Nexus member

If you warm it up, if you add the warm FASI/FASA to your dmt-containing solvent, then when it cools down, maybe some excess fumaric acid will crash out together with your fumarates, so they will be less pure (speculation from my part).

Either do it in room temperature (just shake the hell out of your container with Acetone/IPA and excess fumaric acid, then decant/filter and use it), or warm it up to dissolve more but let it cool before using.

As for solubility of fumaric acid, im attaching the following publication:

Dang et al. J. Chem. Eng. Data, 2009, 54 (11), pp 3112–3113
Solubility of Fumaric Acid in Propan-2-ol, Ethanol, Acetone, Propan-1-ol, and Water