We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
What the heck? My dmt ipa/water won't evap? Options

moyshekapoyre
#1 Posted : 1/3/2012 3:30:57 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Namaste,

Help, nexians!

I've been evapping a plate of DMT-filled 50% IPA (the rest is water) in my (until now) trusty dehydrator for about 3 days now and it has not evapped at all!

What the heck could be going on here??

I've evapped lots of stuff in there before without problems. I checked and the air coming out the top is hot... ok well obviously I'm just going insane because there is no explanation that I can come up with.

Is this some weird phenomenon in chemistry which I don't know about with super saturated something or others?

What options do I have now? I can't put it in the oven, because there's IPA in there, so it might explode, right?

I wonder if putting leaf in there would help in some way that I don't understand...

STS is a community for people interested in growing, preserving and researching botanical species, particularly those with remarkable therapeutic and/or psychoactive properties.

moyshekapoyre
#2 Posted : 1/3/2012 2:15:50 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Oh, as for the super-saturation, I should mention that I tried to basify my IPA/water before drying it. I added a bunch of lye, but it didn't change the pH at all. So could this possibly have something to do with it?

moyshekapoyre
#3 Posted : 1/3/2012 7:30:51 PM
DMT-Nexus member

Lol, never mind.

I had mixed in veggie oil to extend my limited supply of orange oil... and somehow a bit of veggie oil got in with the precipped FASIPA and formed a layer on top.

moyshekapoyre
#4 Posted : 1/3/2012 7:31:48 PM
DMT-Nexus member

I am still wondering why I couldn't raise the pH of my FASIPA (50% water) with lye. I guess I just have to evap it all and then use water to mix the lye in.

Dr_Sister
#5 Posted : 1/7/2012 3:04:46 AM

Synaptic cleft explorer

Chemical expert | Skills: Chemistry, Horticulture, Yoga, Meditation, Graphic/web design, MarketingSenior Member | Skills: Chemistry, Horticulture, Yoga, Meditation, Graphic/web design, Marketing

Let me get this straight, you have a mixture of a dmt salt in IPA/H20 then you added NaOH? If I have understood you correctly then a possible reason it wouldn't evaporate is because NaOH is very hydroscopic, meaning it will absorb moisture out of the air.

For instance, if you leave a few pellets of NaOH on the counter on a humid day, when you come back they will be gone, or rather they will have turned into droplets of NaOH saturated water. At that point you would have to raise the temperature above 100°C to remove the H2O.

moyshekapoyre
#6 Posted : 1/7/2012 4:29:13 AM
DMT-Nexus member

Ah, ok that's just the type of thing I was hoping someone might point out! Thanks... I guess in the future I need to be very careful not to add too much NaOH ...