We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
collect cow dung to take home for mushrooms? Options

stoneyone
#1 Posted : 1/5/2012 5:04:42 AM

DMT-Nexus member

today while out on a hike in the fields I was wondering if one was to collect a bunch of the cow dung that has copelandia cyanescens growing out of it and took it home and filled flower box with it if i could grow my own. would this work? or something of the sort? never grown mushrooms before

I live right next to the fields so the climate is the same. its not hard to go out and pick a bunch and I do love the hunt but it may be tresspassing and its offten a hit or a miss and thought it would be great to have em in the front yard as needed and possible grow em better then stictly wild one.

any thoughts?

Good quality Syrian rue (Peganum harmala) for an incredible price!

ntwhtyouknw
#2 Posted : 1/5/2012 8:31:08 AM

You do not have to see alike, feel alike or even think alike in order spiritually to be alike

Ive wondered this myself.. Your best bet would be to make some sterile manure, take spore prints and just inoculate it yourself.
Toadfreak!

Travel like a king
Listen to the inner voice
A higher wisdom is at work for you
Conquering the stumbling blocks come easier
When the conqueror is in tune with the infinite
Every ending is a new beginning
Life is an endless unfoldment
Change your mind, and you change your relation to time
Free your mind and the rest will follow

bindu
#3 Posted : 1/5/2012 10:11:19 AM

I got some nice ponyshit the other day

if you dont mind your whole flat smelling then id say go for it

its important to dry the shit as fast as possible. that will stop the smell and other microrganisms
blessed be all forms of intelligence

teotenakeltje
#4 Posted : 1/5/2012 11:13:05 AM

DMT-Nexus member

I think you will have to take more than just the cow shit, because those are just the fruit bodies. I would try to take some soil from under the manure and 'transplant' it to your own garden. Than dumpt some cow or horse manure on top of it and hope they grow...
You're very lucky to have wild pans growing in your area, and i would definatly take some prints and vist the shroomery for a growing tek.
Btw if you collect horse (or pony) manure it shouldn't be the fresh stuff but the aged stuff. It doesn't smell at all, I actually like the fragrence, smells like earth Smile

byallmeansart
#5 Posted : 1/6/2012 5:16:21 AM

EET MOAR PHARMA~*

teotenakeltje wrote:
I think you will have to take more than just the cow shit, because those are just the fruit bodies. I would try to take some soil from under the manure and 'transplant' it to your own garden. Than dumpt some cow or horse manure on top of it and hope they grow...
You're very lucky to have wild pans growing in your area, and i would definatly take some prints and vist the shroomery for a growing tek.
Btw if you collect horse (or pony) manure it shouldn't be the fresh stuff but the aged stuff. It doesn't smell at all, I actually like the fragrence, smells like earth Smile

Perhaps you would know better than me, but I do not believe this is how it works. I went camping on a friend's property a week or two ago and there were quite a few Pan cyans out there. Not as many as we wanted, though, so we scoured and scoured the fields, even flipping over lots of the dung piles to pick primordial mushrooms growing underneath them.

From what I saw, the mycelium does not go into the ground at all. We also broke open a few dry piles, and you could see the beautiful mycelial network all through it. So I believe taking the shit alone would work, provided it was a pile that was clearly colonized and fruiting. Now, I don't know if you could put it in a humidity chamber and get it to fruit (seems like you should be able to, honestly, provided you replicated the conditions cyans fruit under), but either way I definitely don't think it would require the dirt underneath it.
I am seriously making all of this stuff up. No, really.

teotenakeltje
#6 Posted : 1/6/2012 11:45:15 AM

DMT-Nexus member

ok, I never had the chance to see wild pan cyans, but if the pies are nicely colonized than yes, it could work. It's just that I read that mycelium forms very large networks, and I can imagine that it is larger than the cow dung alone.
Apparently stoneyone lives in the perfect conditions since they grow in the fields next to him. So that means his garden would povide the necessary conditions no? No need for a humiditiy tent.
Obviously this is all speculation, because I have no experience with cultivating in the wild.