We've Moved! Visit our NEW FORUM to join the latest discussions. This is an archive of our previous conversations...

You can find the login page for the old forum here.
CHATPRIVACYDONATELOGINREGISTER
DMT-Nexus
FAQWIKIHEALTH & SAFETYARTATTITUDEACTIVE TOPICS
12NEXT
The horrors of breaking through in the wrong setting Options

Dr Psychonaut
#1 Posted : 9/6/2011 6:57:03 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Until today I had taken for granted the consistent peacefulness of my setting in all my previous trips to hyperspace. However today I experienced the horror of breaking through in entirely the wrong setting:

Dose: 30mg white spice followed by another 30mg in quick succession

After a failed first attempt due to lighter issues I immediately loaded up the bong with approx 30 mg more of spice. Although I felt intense effects from the first hit I had not broken through and was determined to so did not waste any time in taking this next hit. I also knew that my mum would be back soon and she'd just recently expressed her dislike in me taking any 'drugs'. I took it in one and immediately I knew I was about to break through. I was thrown into this bizarre, scary land that reminded me very much of previous salvia trips - where there was nothing of comfort and these bizarre alien images of entities and childhood themes rushed past so fast with a ringing noise that became deafening. I had peacful music playing in the background (usually I trip in silence though thought I'd try some music this time) and this became horribly loud and eerie as if mocking me, and I could feel this horrendous negative energy building up inside me. I kept telling the entities around me that I needed a bucket as I thought I was going to throw up. I remember them trying to comfort and calm me but I was way too far gone. The intensity was overwhelming and the images were rushing at such a speed as if trying to give me even more of an adverse reaction. I didn’t feel nauseous, more like I had to cough something horrible up, like a swarm of locusts or black tar or something else repulsive. I managed to cough and felt a bit better but just then my dogs (in consensus reality) began barking and I panicked thinking my mum might have come home. This whole alien world that was terrifying enough suddenly tore apart at the seams and the dogs deafening barking had me in a state of sheer terror. I managed to remember that it was just my sister (who knew I was tripping) coming back having just popped to the shop. The only solace was that I managed to get my mind back to reality very quickly due to purposeful grounding. I felt like a terrified animal (kind of a cross between a startled racoon and an abused dog), though I immediately got my head about me and told myself that the horror wasn’t real and that it was just the result of a terrible setting. Being at home and after my mum having just expressed how ‘she doesn’t want any drugs in her house’ etc. made me feel like I was doing something that I had to hide and feel wrong about and this certainly took me to some bad places in hyperspace!

Anyone had any other horrifying or disorienting experiences due to smoking DMT in the wrong setting? I certainly will make sure that the next time I hit hyperspace there won't a remote possibility of anything that might ruin the setting!

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All events described in any posts by Dr Psychonaut are entirely fictitious and for educational purposes only.

Explore our global analysis service for precise testing of your extracts and other substances.

Global
#2 Posted : 9/6/2011 11:16:13 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Moderator | Skills: Music, LSDMT, Egyptian Visions, DMT: Energetic/Holographic Phenomena, Integration, Trip Reports

It sounds like your need for feeling like you had to cough something up was from burning the spice. That's a common symptom of having burnt your spice.

One time I took my spice over to a neighbor's house who was throwing a party because apparently two kids there wanted to try some so my neighbors asked me if I would share. I was a little sketched out, but I trusted my neighbors and when I got there, the kids didn't seem all that bad either so I figured it would be ok. I had a great trip and after a failed attempt or two, they loved the stuff. Later on, they wanted to smoke again. More people were there, and they were getting drunker. I lit them up, refilled for myself and laid back. I was tripping pretty hard and there was a large white anaconda in my face. I wasn't scared at all by this. I was simply observing and taking notes about the patterns. All of a sudden the anaconda turned black which I thought was a measurement of energy in the room. I looked up at my roommate was a short distance away across the room yelling drunkenly at somebody else. I know how he can get, and I just felt like I had to get out of there, so I grabbed my stuff, and darted home. I felt a little off shortly after that, but quickly returned to normal.
"Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind" - Albert Einstein

"The Mighty One appears, the horizon shines. Atum appears on the smell of his censing, the Sunshine- god has risen in the sky, the Mansion of the pyramidion is in joy and all its inmates are assembled, a voice calls out within the shrine, shouting reverberates around the Netherworld." - Egyptian Book of the Dead

"Man fears time, but time fears the Pyramids" - 9th century Arab proverb

McCoyBoy
#3 Posted : 9/7/2011 12:55:47 AM

enthusiast

I usually always have peaceful music playing, once i did not and it was horrifying, but i accepted it and starting humming and the sounds/vibrations turned into ecstasy.

it's funny how the slightest change can make me freak.
as above, so below

Herba Luisa
#4 Posted : 9/7/2011 10:05:33 AM

DMT-Nexus member

Dear Dr. Psychonaut i think the spice tries to teach you some mutual respect with this experience.
If your mum ‘doesn’t want any drugs in her house’ you should respect this and have to find another place where you can create a peaceful space
for your own.
Set and setting when it comes to dmt, is as important as dose and administration. With the perfect setting you will have miraculously and much deeper
experiences. Laughing

Dr Psychonaut
#5 Posted : 9/8/2011 6:31:16 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
Dear Dr. Psychonaut i think the spice tries to teach you some mutual respect with this experience.
If your mum ‘doesn’t want any drugs in her house’ you should respect this and have to find another place where you can create a peaceful space for your own. Set and setting when it comes to dmt, is as important as dose and administration. With the perfect setting you will have miraculously and much deeper experiences.

I think you hit the nail on the head here Herba Luisa and I thank you for your honesty. I should have respected my mother's opinions even if I see them as irrational. Although up to this point I've been so careful to ensure a good set and setting, this time I went ahead anyway and got my first very negative experience with DMT. I guess I also thought that with DMT as it's a more of a journey inward (as opposed to mushrooms and LSD where the external world provides a lot of the experience) the setting is less important as wherever one goes they won't be in their body. Ofcourse the knowing that I'm doing something somewhere I shouldn't be as well as the deafening noises that the dogs barking created combined to ensure my set and setting exerted it's negative effects on my mind even when it was all the way out in hyperspace. Gonna be paying extra careful attention to set and setting from now on!
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

All events described in any posts by Dr Psychonaut are entirely fictitious and for educational purposes only.

tele
#6 Posted : 9/8/2011 10:18:54 PM
Explorer

Herba Luisa wrote:
If your mum ‘doesn’t want any drugs in her house’ you should respect this and have to find another place where you can create a peaceful space
for your own.
Set and setting when it comes to dmt, is as important as dose and administration. With the perfect setting you will have miraculously and much deeper
experiences. Laughing

I wouldn't even consider using DMT at your mother's place, I even feel that's it's disrespectful to your mom and the spice, really.
I wouldn't touch spice if I were you(out of respect) until I have my own place where I can do it without worrying about anything. Especially someone who doesn't want you to be doing it there. Heck, it would be even better to be out in nature than at your moms house! That's a really bad place to blast off. Doesn't everyone here agree that the poster shouldn't do this again at her moms place?

dmtk2852
#7 Posted : 9/9/2011 2:51:51 AM

DMT-Nexus member

tele wrote:
Herba Luisa wrote:
for your own.
experiences. Laughing

I wouldn't even consider using DMT at your mother's place, I even feel that's it's disrespectful to your mom and the spice, really.
I wouldn't touch spice if I were you(out of respect) until I have my own place where I can do it without worrying about anything. Especially someone who doesn't want you to be doing it there. Heck, it would be even better to be out in nature than at your moms house! That's a really bad place to blast off. Doesn't everyone here agree that the poster shouldn't do this again at her moms place?

I agree, more for the rule your mom placed on this. That may have been both bad mindset and setting. I would recommend trying it in a peaceful outdoor location.

YTXian
#8 Posted : 9/9/2011 5:33:51 AM

Not an angry scientist but a mad one.

I have a realy hard time vapeing and so not long ago I tried an herb sandwich with salvia. For some reason this worked good (strange to me because I figured that the high combustion temp of salvia would not be apropriate for spice but, it worked good, go figure).
I got a good strong experiance! The kind where you should be sitting down and you just sort of resighn yourself to observing the mountain of hallucinations pass before you untill you can acctualy see and function again...
Problem is my girl walks in, turns up the radio, and then leaves the room just after I launched(!)Mad
It was playing "the Date Rape Song" by Sublime. Now I like Sublime. I really do but, that is not a song I would ever choose to launch to (in the rare event I would launch to music which, even though I'm a musician, is not my thing with spice).
I was frozen in bummer hell literaly untill the song ended as if I was paralized by the awfulness of it!
Came too pretty ticked off which is no way to be either.Sad
In this world there are adults and there are children. In fact the world is filled with children; they are angry and hurt, frightened and abused, lazy and ignorant, stubborn and hateful. The world hates an adult and they would rather cause their peers to fail at any venture of self improvement before having to step up and improve their selves so as to maintain pecking order and evidence of the lowley opinion they have of each other. The best of them enslave the others so that they all consume and destroy all there lives in order to satisfy their immense greed claiming that they are providing a future for their legacy and never question the possibility of doing better in order to leave a real future for the children they will leave behind on this, our Earth. They pretend that it is impossible and when cornered they admit their apathy saying that they won't be around to suffer the out come. They hate the adults for exposing their immense weekness. The total failure that they call success. Mean while the adults strive to minimize their own impact and perpetually work to undo the damage already done. The adults who already know; they are the children of tomorrow.

Dr Psychonaut
#9 Posted : 9/13/2011 5:28:55 PM

DMT-Nexus member

For all who have been following this thread I realise now that it was not so much the setting that made this trip so terrible. It was more the state of mind I was beginning to get into. Please read this thread for the trip I had after this one: I WILL NEVER DO DMT EVER AGAIN. Beware dark and hostile forces...

tele
#10 Posted : 9/13/2011 5:42:15 PM
Explorer

Dr Psychonaut wrote:
For all who have been following this thread I realise now that it was not so much the setting that made this trip so terrible. It was more the state of mind I was beginning to get into. Please read this thread for the trip I had after this one: I WILL NEVER DO DMT EVER AGAIN. Beware dark and hostile forces...

I guess it's not for you then. Especially if you smoke it at your moms house...

Dr Psychonaut
#11 Posted : 9/13/2011 10:21:32 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:

I smoked it once during a visit to where my mom lives and this isn't what led to my ultimately horrific experience. For a fellow hyperspace explorer I would expect more compassion and understanding, I'm sure in time the spice will teach you some important lessons too my friend

tele
#12 Posted : 9/14/2011 10:20:44 AM
Explorer

Dr Psychonaut wrote:
Quote:

I smoked it once during a visit to where my mom lives and this isn't what led to my ultimately horrific experience. For a fellow hyperspace explorer I would expect more compassion and understanding, I'm sure in time the spice will teach you some important lessons too my friend

If you are horrified by one single difficult experience and make topic called "I WILL NEVER DO DMT EVER AGAIN. Beware dark and hostile forces..." it's probably just not for you. What did I say wrong?
It was wrong to suppose you smoke at your moms all the time, I agree about that...

I've had over 50 breakthroughs, which maybe isn't alot, but there have been some difficult ones too.

And what comes to lessons, I've had my share of them.

It's just naive to think that DMT can't bring difficult experiences, it's the risk one has to take if one decides to smoke it. Facing one's deepest fears can be very difficult

Dr Psychonaut
#13 Posted : 9/14/2011 12:28:20 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
If you are horrified by one single difficult experience and make topic called "I WILL NEVER DO DMT EVER AGAIN. Beware dark and hostile forces..." it's probably just not for you. What did I say wrong?

You either misread my thread or you entirely glossed over it as it was more than a 'single difficult experience'. Obviously such an experience is subjective but any difficult experiences you may have had are clearly a different kind of 'difficult' experience as you would not be talking with such arrogance otherwise.

Tek
#14 Posted : 9/14/2011 1:30:11 PM

DMT-Nexus member

I truly believe DMT is for everyone who seeks enlightenment. Wasn't it Christ who said 'seek and you shall find?' If your seeking the truth eventually you will come across DMT. Don't we have a saying here at the Nexus that 'you don't find DMT, it finds you'?

Anyways I don't for a second believe your done with seeking forever Dr. Psychonaut, but it's very, very apparent that your supposed to take a time out right now. I agree with what tele says that difficult trips are really just a part of the growing process, however I most definately understand coming to a point where you were so freaked out by the expereience that you don't want to do it again. I can totally relate.

I used to run around telling everyone 'I don't see how anyone can ever have a bad trip... you just take it and enjoy the ride there's nothing to worry about!' boy was I naive! I still strongly believe that there really isn't anything to worry about in the sense that you're not going to die or get stuck in a hellish nightmare of all eternity, however my one negative experience has caused me to get nervous butterflies in my stomach right before I'm about to dose. I believe the negative trips are meant to be very hard lessons; lessons that 'they' teach you when your not listening to the more subtle things they're trying to show you. It may seem cruel to us that these 'negative' beings do these things to us, but in the truest sense if we accept the fact that we are a formless, eternal soul that cannot be destroyed, the torture they can put us through doesn't 'do anything' to us in a real sense. You're not going to fade out of existence or anything like that and even though it can be beyond difficult to go through while your having a bad trip and the days/weeks after where the memories creep into your everyday life, I truly think that there is just as much to pull out of the negative experiences as there are the positive.

However, you definately shouldn't be seeking out the darker realms of hyperspace. I understand Dr. that you were adopting the approach of trying to love the darker aspects as an aspect of yourself, but if your guide is giving you the impression that you should keep away, I'd definately follow that advice when/if you ever visit hyperspace again. I try to always listen to the guidance of my hyperspace tour guide, I mean after all hyperspace is infinate in size (at least it appears to be), I wouldn't want to try and venture out into by myself even if I thought I knew what I was doing!
All posts are from the fictional perspective of The Legendary Tek: the formless, hyperspace exploring apprentice to the mushroom god Teo. Tek, the lord of Eureeka's Castle, is the chosen one who has surfed the rainbow wave and who resides underneath the matter dome. All posts are fictitious in nature and are meant for entertainment purposes only.

tele
#15 Posted : 9/14/2011 2:06:17 PM
Explorer

Dr Psychonaut wrote:
Quote:

You either misread my thread or you entirely glossed over it as it was more than a 'single difficult experience'. Obviously such an experience is subjective but any difficult experiences you may have had are clearly a different kind of 'difficult' experience as you would not be talking with such arrogance otherwise.

It's not arrogant if I say that "I guess dmt isn't for you then".
If I would write "I WILL NEVER DO DMT EVER AGAIN", it would be clear to me I wouldn't touch it anymore...

Difficult is difficult: It includes evil, horrible, haunting and all those themes put together. Personally I don't see there are bad trips, only difficult ones. That includes many things, even the devil in your room.

Dr Psychonaut
#16 Posted : 9/14/2011 5:34:15 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Quote:
I truly believe DMT is for everyone who seeks enlightenment. Wasn't it Christ who said 'seek and you shall find?' If your seeking the truth eventually you will come across DMT. Don't we have a saying here at the Nexus that 'you don't find DMT, it finds you'?
Anyways I don't for a second believe your done with seeking forever Dr. Psychonaut, but it's very, very apparent that your supposed to take a time out right now. I agree with what tele says that difficult trips are really just a part of the growing process, however I most definately understand coming to a point where you were so freaked out by the expereience that you don't want to do it again. I can totally relate.

I believe this was certainly the case for me, as I first read Dr Strassman's book at the age of 14 and was instantly fascinated by this idea of 'other worlds' that were accesible through psychedelics. I've also always had a great interest in psychiatry, and now at the age of 25 am about to pursue a career in medicine. In the future I would absolutely love to be involved in the evolution of new theories in psychiatry that incorporate the use of psychedelics. It is a great hobby of mine and I certainly wouldn't let a horrific experience like this spoil these plans. As for DMT though I will certainly be taking a break, but am sure that I will resume use again in the future. This time I'll approach it in a more responsible manner, making sure to leave time in between experiences to integrate. I guess I just got so overwhelmed by the excitement of discovering DMT that I in a way abused it.

Quote:
However, you definately shouldn't be seeking out the darker realms of hyperspace. I understand Dr. that you were adopting the approach of trying to love the darker aspects as an aspect of yourself, but if your guide is giving you the impression that you should keep away, I'd definately follow that advice when/if you ever visit hyperspace again. I try to always listen to the guidance of my hyperspace tour guide, I mean after all hyperspace is infinate in size (at least it appears to be), I wouldn't want to try and venture out into by myself even if I thought I knew what I was doing!

I think as well as learning to use DMT responsibly this is the most important lesson I have learned. My naive way of thinking that I could explore any area of hyperspace 'alone' and mistrusting my guardians intentions led to this. I guess I felt like they were trying to stop me from knowing certain things and I just wanted to know it all, like a kid who wants to watch movies with an R rating who later gets nightmares from watching them... After such support and understanding from the nexus community though my experience definitely seems less terrifying, just knowing that others have had similar experiences and got through it make me feel so much better

Tek
#17 Posted : 9/14/2011 6:08:40 PM

DMT-Nexus member

And I bet it will take even less time than you think to realize that this trip was a teaching exercise and I'd bet good money once you get to a point where you can accept this for what it was that it will be one of the most educational trips you will probably ever have.

The good thing about my guide (whom I call Teo, see my signature below) is he (for the sake of discussion it's a 'he'Pleased doesn't let me see things that might screw me up bad. What's that old saying that god doesn't give you more than you can handle? Well in my own experiences that has definately proven to be true. For instance the bad trip that I had where a negative being kept telling me I'd have to live the same life on earth over and over again really scared the living shit out of me. However, at a point where I was sure I could take no more, and I mean SURE I could take no more, everything turned purple. Hard as hell to describe, but I had a deep understanding that to save me from losing my mind, Teo had decided to block my vision with, as I describe in my journal 'purple sonic the hedgehog warp panels'.

To your experience, it seems to me that maybe your better built to handle some really horrible visions at least in comparison to me. I mean, this trip scared the hell out of me, but it doesn't even seem to hold a candle to what you went through. I guess take some pride in the fact that, at least from where I'm standing, the darker and scarier the trip you come out of proves that you're of a braver sort of character than others who only ever have fairies and magical machine elves. Just my opinion.

All posts are from the fictional perspective of The Legendary Tek: the formless, hyperspace exploring apprentice to the mushroom god Teo. Tek, the lord of Eureeka's Castle, is the chosen one who has surfed the rainbow wave and who resides underneath the matter dome. All posts are fictitious in nature and are meant for entertainment purposes only.

Dr Psychonaut
#18 Posted : 9/15/2011 12:26:45 PM

DMT-Nexus member

Thank you Tek for your support and advice. I find it fascinating that you seem to have such a good relationship with your guide Teo, as I never really met face to face with any of my guides. Instead I just felt various entities express concern when I was associating with these dark beings and I assumed these were guardians of some kind. I would love to one day develop a close relationship with my guide as you have done.

AspersionDetergent
#19 Posted : 9/18/2011 3:46:28 AM

DMT-Nexus member

you guys are truly an amazingly supportive group. it is things like this that drive me to contribute and stop just lurking. being busy all the time makes it hard to involve myself, but i have really begun to see how much growth potential iv'e been missing out on.

i'm not trying to derail this thread by any means i just thought it was important for you guys to hear this.

MooshyPeaches
#20 Posted : 9/18/2011 4:59:21 AM

DMT-Nexus member

ive had a similar experience involving someone coming home mid/end trip, guess dmt demands a lucid mind for proper hyperspace travel =]

12NEXT